ZF6 Clutch Recommendations

StretchASU

So I have been reading and searching and searching and reading but cannot come up with a solid answer.

Truck Setup:

2002 7.3 ZF6
Tymar
TSPerformance 6Pos (Stock, High Idle, 50-140)
Boost Fooler
Stock Straight Pipe

I DD it on the 75HP setting (where I get the best mileage) and tow with it on the 50HP setting. This is the extent of the power mods this truck will see other than maybe a WickedWheel and 4" Turbo Back. It is a tow rig/DD not a sled/grudge or drag truck. It has 152k miles on the stock clutch and it currently slips once under moderate to full boost in anything other than Stock mode.

Is the South Bend1944-6OK a good decision? Do any of you with about the same setup run this clutch and how do you like it?

I had the Southbend Con-FE and really liked it. It had good feel to it, never slipped, and rarely would shudder. Southbend also has kickass customer service. I let my brother drive my truck, and he smoked the clutch in only 6 miles. I called Peter at Southbend, told him the truth about what happened, and he had me a new clutch in two days, for free! If I ever own another manual trans truck, it'll have a Southbend, Peter gained a customer for life.

I have a stock clutch kit I'll sell you for $200 it has about 18000 miles in it.

Clutch, flywheel & throw out bearing

I have a stock clutch kit I'll sell you for $200 it has about 18000 miles in it.

Clutch, flywheel & throw out bearing

Thanks but I am looking to upgrade. I know a stock clutch will not hold up to the programmer and towing on a regular basis.

Travis, thanks for the input. Everyone seems to be recommending South Bend. I will call Peter this week and see what he recommends for my setup.

You have to get the plastic bushing clutch. I have broken 6 of the spring loaded clutches. the cummins has more shutter and torque at low rpms than the ford. It completely compress the springs and they break only when you are out of town.

x2 on the southbend clutch. I just replaced the one on my 6.0 PSD with another new southbend. The factory clutch started slipping in 3rd with 37's and the 65hp tune at around 40,000 miles so I put a southbend in it then. This past august coming home from harlan while pulling my other truck I started having problems getting it into gear while stopped, sometimes having to cut the truck off and recrank in gear at lights. It got progressively worse but the clutch never slipped.

Just after thanksgiving I pulled the transmission to replace with another southbend (now with 181,000 miles) and found my pilot bearing had siezed up and thats why I couldnt shift easily. How ever the clutch was so worn out that almost 1/4 inch of material was missing from the pressure plate and the friction material was completely gone on the pressure plate side but the flywheel side was still good just paper thin. It never slipped at all weather towing combined weight of 18,000 lbs with my 65hp tow tune or dd with the 130 hp race tune and 35's now.

Long story short I'm really impressed with their clutches but I'd drop the extra coin and get the kevlar pilot bushing and not use the regular bearing.

Make sure you get the up graded clutch arm. That's what broke on mine when I put in a luk clutch.

Another vote for southbend. I have a DD3250 and recently had my transmission out to replace the bearings. I called peter to order a new pilot bearing (it wasn't bad but I couldn't not replace it while I was in there). He sent me a new pilot bearing and new clutch disk for free. I only had 20K on my other clutch but he said they redesigned them and I would like it better. 3 days later there was a Southbend box with new clutch and pilot bearing on my porch for free. Peter even paid shipping he is awesome!

just put a con-ofe in the dodge and holds great and drives almost like stock... not a ford but another thumbs up for south bend

Its got a South Bend 1944-6OFE in it now...so pretty much their Con OFE for the Ford. Drives good and holds like a champ. Still getting used to how light the pedal feels but other than that no complaints. Great company to deal with.

Back