Yota winch bumper

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
Made thsi awhile ago, never got around to posting.

Nothing fancy, center base is bolt-on Trail-gear style winch plate, main arms 3" sq tube, 2" on sides.

awww.4rtoy.rewazule.com_Pics_Front_bumper_IMG_5137.jpg

awww.4rtoy.rewazule.com_Pics_Front_bumper_IMG_5136.jpg

I just like sq tube better, IMO it fits the body lines better,plus it's easy to stand on lol.

looks good dave, what's reinforcing the place where the fairlead mounts? you probably wont ever have any trouble with it, but it just looks like it needs a brace or two in there.

other than that, its a cool look on a runner. your right, the square tube does lend to the body lines.

looks good dave, what's reinforcing the place where the fairlead mounts? you probably wont ever have any trouble with it, but it just looks like it needs a brace or two in there.
other than that, its a cool look on a runner. your right, the square tube does lend to the body lines.

Actually, nothing. I really hate that fairlead. I believe it's for a Jeep bumper; the holes are the right distance apart (10") but not centered top/bottom, so it hangs down a little low.
It was one of those thinge where I was going to Rausch Creek the next day and realized I needed one ASAP, that was all I coudl find locally. It works but is just fugly.
FYI if anybody wants it I'll trade for a center-bolt style. I also have a roller fairlead I don't need.

Was noticing the winch was above the bolts, etc where mounted to the frame. Any worries that will put leverage on that area, and bend down to the front? (I have one on my 85 - no winch yet, but when I eyeballed it that was my first thought?)

Was noticing the winch was above the bolts, etc where mounted to the frame. Any worries that will put leverage on that area, and bend down to the front? (I have one on my 85 - no winch yet, but when I eyeballed it that was my first thought?)

it's kind of hard to tell in this pic, but the way the base winch plate works is, from the side it's like an upside down "L"... but on the sides are triagular plates cutting the whole hypotenuse of the triangle serving as support arms. It's 1/4" plate steel, so I don't see any way it could bend the plate down. There's a hitch receiver in the middle two, that provides even more support.
What may be misleading here is that there are actually 6 bolts; 4 are on the inside of the front section between those triagles, two near the bottom, and two up right below the shelf. These bolt to factory holes, which are already in the frame crossmember. That said, IMO this is one of those cases where the extra coin for Grade 8 bolts is mandatory.

Back