yj spring removal

StudNuts

how on gosh earth do you get the bolts out of a yjs rear leaf spring, the one on the frame. Ive beat it to death, tried cutting it and ruined 2 sawzall blades, my 750ft-lb impact just spins it. Im out of options. Its stuck

Cut the mount off and make a new blingy one... :D

Sounds like the sleeve is rusted/fused to the bolt? I've had decent luck heating it with a torch, and then spraying it with PB while it's hot.. wicks the PB in, and banging it back and forth seems to pop it loose...

Bolts are defiantely rusted to the sleeves...

Go buy a good sawzall blade and cut the bolt on both sides, in between bushing and mounting bracket. I went thru about 5 blades before I broke down and bought a good one. Once I did it didn't take any time at all to get both rear springs off and the blade is still in great shape.

Rich is right. I spent more time and sawzall blades than I care to admit. I used air cut-off wheel and rotated the bolt till it snapped and then pried it out. Pain in my ass.

Kevin

blue wrench or plasma on the bolt ends that stick out... pry the mount out a bit and knock em out... Prolly need new bushings in the leafs.... Mine came out not so nicly when i first did them...

be careful with the hot wrench, the springs are tempered and you don't want to destroy the tempering with too much heat.

cut off wheel works when the sawzall won't

5" cutoff wheel on the angle grinder.

DK

yea i had to go over there and show that girlie girl how to use the grinder....i got them cut off as jon sat against the wall sobbing

:flipoff2:

2 good ways to get them out from my experiences. 1st is to start the nut back on a little ways to protect the threads a bit, then use your favorite air hammer with a pointed bit, put it in the center of the bolt and very carefully hammer on the bolt a little at a time till it starts to move. Most bolts will come out like this if the vehicle isnt rusted out. Second one I try, is to use a socket that will fit over the head of the bolt, then use a big C- clamp to push the bolt into the socket. If these fail, cut the bolt off just inside the bracket sides like has been said, sawzall blade or what ever, but the air hammer works about 95% of the time.

and, oddly enough, if you happen to have a 2x or 4x Toy truck sittin around waiting to be disected, the front eye bolts off the rear springs just happen to be the same diamiter and length as the YJ bolts.

What a co-ink-a-dink!

K

Back