YJ Rebuild Version #6

89wrangler

Not a new member
Here we ( I ) go again. This build is basically a NC 4x4 build as almost all of the parts were purchased from members on the board at one time or another. I tend to buy chit cause it is a good deal and then figure out what I will use it for. I think it works, the wife thinks otherwise. Thanks to Guffey, Pheery, Gonovrit, Olivers Drive Shaft, Larry Elder for some exhaust artwork.
After toasting my 3rd Terralow in a 231 a year ago, I got a deal on a Stak I could not pass up. I know it is no Atlas, but has to be a lot better than the 231, especially when using the skinny pedal. I had found a deal found a deal on a 305 with new p/s pump, performer intake and HEI dist with nice 700R4 (rebuilt), Then I found another deal on a real nice 5.7L. All these parts were piling up in the shop.
I am in the process of slowly redoing a 79 Chief /T18 combo and needed a motor so I figured why not use the one in my YJ and put the 5.7 in? So it began..

I pulled fenders, radiator, grill engine and tranny and interior of Jeep. Once that was done, I set in engine and tranny to to get everything aligned to fad motor mounts. Here engine setting in place.
index.php

index.php

interior removed
index.php

I modified the old motor mounts I had made for the 360 and they fit nicely on the 5.7
index.php

then Tcase came with an extra support bracket, so I fabbed up a couple mounts to weld in
index.php

then came to mounting the twin sticks. In order to clock the Tcase flat I had to massage the floor in a few places and remove some metal on the inderside, but it fit.
index.php

final mock up before removing everything
index.php

Last edited:
Not sure how much you can post at one time, so here is some more,...

Made a new skid out of 1/4" plate. This will be getting 3/8" polly cover in the near furture with recessed flat head bolts for a smooth belly.
index.php

For whatever reason, my 700R4 had an oddball output. So I took it to Cook's Racing to have the correct output installed and a few internal goodies while he was in there to beef it up a little. Painted black for the hell of it.
index.php

with all that done, I turned to the engine and had to stay with the old theme of red and black. I added a new RV cam and lifters along with a performer intake and HEI distributor and new waterpump. So I sandblased the parts, painted and clearcoated everthing.
index.php

index.php

More tomorrow...

Pretty work! :beer: BUT, when you finally get tired of bustin' your knuckles I know where to find another nice bass boat! :lol:

Pretty work! :beer: BUT, when you finally get tired of bustin' your knuckles I know where to find another nice bass boat! :lol:
Don, unfortunatley I am am not very bright. I have a Jeep and now two boats. I have the worst of both worlds. :lol:

Here is some more...I found a cracked exhaust manifold when I went to install them and it looked like this is a common problem so I bit the bullet and ordered a set of shorty headers
index.php

next came a new radiator. Bought a universal alumn double pass. Got it mocked up and then made some brackets to weld on and mounted in stock location.
index.php

The upper hose worked, but had to go scour the rack at Advance Auto for one to fit the lower. Had to cut a ouple of inches off, but fit was great.
index.php

next was an elelctric fan, so I put a 16" on along with a thermostat control to perform the off and on function.
index.php

then it was time to wrap up the wiring, vacum hoses and fuel lines
index.php

took a couple of stabs at the distributor setting, but got it dialed in and it started...woo hoo So with the engine bay wrapped up, back on with the fenders and finished hooking everything back up.
index.php

Then off the underside....

Nice, great work.

next was to finish up the interior
New tunnel cover
index.php

index.php

then added some paint to the new skid
index.php

finished up interior
index.php

New exhaust thanks to Larry Elder!
index.php

Then after a test run, back out comes the motor! :shaking:
index.php

New crank, bearings, and oil pump going back in....
index.php

new crank installed
index.php

going back in...again
index.php

ready for a test drive.
index.php

Bearings were pretty ugly. Seems to be running sweet now. Drove it down the road yesterday and today. All seems good!

Back