Yes, it's a Lifted CRV.

phyberoptix

Figured I would showoff my little toy. I know it's not made for offroad abuse but it can take it. It's on a custom style lift setup which is basically some custom springs by QA1 and the use of coilover sleeves. I've been playing around in mud (Even had to pull a Chevy out one day while I was in out messing around in the mud) and went out yesterday and played in some sand. The sand I was in was super soft and I can feel that it bogged it down but I thought I might get me a few upgrades on my motor to give it a little but more power but enough talk here are some pictures.

Lifted RD1 CRV
afbcdn_sphotos_e_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_xap1_v_t1.0_9_p480xf2a629196152761034df5f36e58f2c05.jpg

afbcdn_sphotos_h_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_xap1_v_t1.0_9_s720xc0e784020ba21d9f8ef420040d78e4ad.jpg

afbcdn_sphotos_f_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_xap1_v_t1.0_9_p480x3d67ebd52d88f1564d7b5866e8f09ee0.jpg

ascontent_a_iad.xx.fbcdn.net_hphotos_xap1_v_t1.0_9_p180x540_13b3849a2053ded0a9bd65bc625fc31f52.jpg

ascontent_a_iad.xx.fbcdn.net_hphotos_xpa1_v_t1.0_9_p480x480_1937175218fb3e037c6d29b20c453771a9.jpg

afbcdn_sphotos_c_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_xap1_v_t1.0_9_p180xe24cf3032149d9520a2431d99cf9eb4f.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that if it serves your purpose! I like it, but I've also always loved lifted Tercel 4wd wagons, subarus, and such. I like that the Diamond wheels give it that ricer stance. ;-)

yeah you probably need aluminum wheels to help w/ the weight. if you like the mud/sandy stuff, get some knobbier tires.
Is there any way to mod the traction control so you can lock the differential?

A crv was my first car and I beat the hell out of it! When I first got it I thought it was a mud truck, and yeah I got stuck a few times, but it always took it without question. Never broke or anything. Pulled out xterras and jeeps (who took harder like obviously) but they are fun little shits. I dig it

some internet dude said:
the viscous setup in the CR-V is built into the nosecone of the rear end, so you can't easily take it out of the driveline or replace it.

also, it's not a typical 'viscous diff' you find in many other applications, it's actually a hydraulically actuated pressure plate system. most viscous diffs use the temp of the fluid to engage the clutches, while the CR-V actually works more like the 'gears' of an automatic transmission.

the driveshaft runs a hydraulic pump and one set of clutches, the free-rolling rear wheels drive another pump and a second set of clutches. when the driveshaft driven pump out pressures the wheel driven pump (front wheelspin), the excess pressure engages the clutch packs, tying the rear wheels to the driveshaft in a smooth manner.

the only real complaint is that the center diff is slow to lock, so honda made the 3rd gen CRV with a set of balls and runners along with the dual-pump setup. the balls and runners (like the old hondamatic transmission from the 70s) pre-engage the clutch packs when the slippage is sudden.

all in all, for a normal road driven SUV, it's a pretty clean and simple setup. all contained in the rear diff package, it doesn't have any computers or solenoids to crap out and give up on you. it also works pretty well for a AWD system on the race track...sure, it's not an STi, but with the right suspension and tires, I can run the course nicely.

sounds like you could rig up a small hydraulic pump to lock in the center diff on command.

Figured I would showoff my little toy. I know it's not made for offroad abuse but it can take it. It's on a custom style lift setup which is basically some custom springs by QA1 and the use of coilover sleeves. I've been playing around in mud (Even had to pull a Chevy out one day while I was in out messing around in the mud) and went out yesterday and played in some sand. The sand I was in was super soft and I can feel that it bogged it down but I thought I might get me a few upgrades on my motor to give it a little but more power but enough talk here are some pictures.

Lifted RD1 CRV
View attachment 170498
View attachment 170499
View attachment 170500
View attachment 170501
View attachment 170502
View attachment 170503
Yep just lifted mine yesterday. Built the lift kit myself. Only got the one pic right now.

Attachments

• IMAG0271.jpg
    IMAG0271.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 2,415
I think its cool, but it has potential to be cooler. If you havent already, look at this guys page for inspiration Honda Rescue Garage . Granted his is a civic wagon, but still I am betting there is some crossover to your vehicle. Plus I am sure the guy has a wealth of knowledge you may be able to benefit from with lifting these little things that were designed more for pavement pounding than trails.

Back