Yay

orange150

well, 640 miles, two tanks of gas, $8k, unhappy mom, not so thrilled girlfriend later I bought that F-250 from my other post. The truck runs great, couldn't have been better.

But now I have to get it. My original plan was to just tow our big trailer that we tow our farm tractor with behind my jeep then just tow the jeep home behind the truck. But my pops thinks that the trailer is to heavy for the jeep to pull for 5.5 hours. He was thinking I could rent a tow dolly and put the t-case in the Jeep in nuetral and tow it home that way... im not so sure if that will work seeing as how its an auto. I was thinking I could rent a car but I dont think im old enough (20). I'm going to run out to put the trailer on my Jeep tomorrow to see how it does.
any other ideas?

Well, I'm heading within a 100 miles of Glen Burnie on Friday afternoon...
- picking up a laptop in Greensboro (stolen property being returned from evidence locker) @ 1235 SHARP and could meet you off Elm/Eugene & I85/40...
- dropping an axle in Danville...
- heading up I-81 to Winchester, VA to assist with a cage install (must be done by noonish Sat.)...
- and might haul your ass the rest of the way for a little help on the cage & some gas $$$ (DD gets about 33 mpg highway) ...

LMK

How heavy is your trailer? Or if you don't know the weight, what's it like? (like dual 3500lb axles, deck-over, wood floor, length?, width?)

If you get the tow dolly, pull the rear d-shaft in your Jeep. Just unhook it at the rear axle, and use a coat hanger to tie it up to the floorboard (to keep the slip-yoke in the back on the T-case, so the fluid doesn't leak out). Then no worries, as long as you tie it in there good so the d-shaft doesn't drop out on the highway, and as long as you are careful pulling the Jeep/tow dolly. :)

Also, look at all the costs when thinking about the plane ticket. If you don't fly, then you will pay for gas (will it really only cost $52 if you are pulling the trailer up there?) and if you don't take the trailer, you need to rent the tow dolly, unless you already have one. Also think about the convenience and time factors (although flying isn't too convenient or timely if the plane is delayed).

+1 on the "haul your ass the rest of the way" offer.

the next best option to me sounds like the tow dolly... rent it once your there and pay the "one way" rental

man thanks for the offer caver dave, but i work at lowes (which sucks by the way) and I only get one weekend off a month and this isn't that weekend. Im thinking the tow dolly is going to have to be it, or if my buddy will let me drive his honda civic that would be even better.

Amtrac has good prices but the times are terrible, I would have to leave raleigh at 5 45 am stay in DC for 3 hours, then travel less than an hour back to where I need to go.

Cheap isn't fast, and fast isn't cheap.

You could always get the Amtrak to Union Station, then take Metro to New Carrollton. Red line to orange, or walk down 1st St from Union to Capital South and get on orange there.

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

i think im going to either Greyhound or Amtrak it. Flights are now $315. I'd rather sit in a seat for 6+ hours than pay that much money.

Oh yea, I test towed our trailer behind my jeep from where we keep it near Louisberg... yea not happening.

It didn't click until now... I'm going to Williamsburg VA next Friday morning.. problem is, we're taking her Celica ('89 ragtop), so the back seat is, um TIGHT. For $45 for the bus I'd take that, but if you're in a jam...

alright, too long later. i finally have the actual title (the one handed to me before wasn't in his name yet so i had to mail it back to him and then wait a week for it to be switched to his name). SO before I go back to the DMV all excited im not going to get blind sided by anything else am I? I have the title in HIS name and a bill of sale.

The title must be in YOUR name and notarized before they will give you owners/registration card. Proof of insurance. Check. Vasoline.

No. That's not even close to correct.

You have to present the title from the original state of registration, in the original owner's name, signed over to you.

You turn over the title to the DMV, they give you plates and send you a new title in the mail.

You'll need a mileage statement signed by the previous owner and yourself, because the vehicle is less than 10 yrs old.

You'll need a notarized title application. They may notarize those at the DMV for you... I don't recall. I don't think the MD title transfer requires a notary, but it wouldn't hurt to have it done regardless.

Here's a good overview: http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationtitling/howToRegister.html

saf-t scissors said:
No. That's not even close to correct.

Well, I was just at the DMV yesterday. I just bought a clunker parts getter, the title is signed over to me, just not notarized. The DMV did not accept it, the lady said the title must be signed to me and notarized before a registration card could be provided. And you dont need a mileage statement.

And reoccuring, bought a mustand from SC a year ago. Same title ordeal. Had to go back to SC to have both parties present to get a notary before the stupid nc dmv would register it.

well i will tell you what I did today: I got the title, in Dudes name, signed over to me, had a bill of sale, they said I didnt even need a temp tag and now have my real tag and title sitting here next to me.

StudNuts said:
Well, I was just at the DMV yesterday. I just bought a clunker parts getter, the title is signed over to me, just not notarized. The DMV did not accept it, the lady said the title must be signed to me and notarized before a registration card could be provided. And you dont need a mileage statement.
And reoccuring, bought a mustand from SC a year ago. Same title ordeal. Had to go back to SC to have both parties present to get a notary before the stupid nc dmv would register it.

You didn't read the link I posted. Moreover, what you've posted here contradicts what you said earlier.

I've done it three times in the past two months...two trucks and a trailer...plus sold a truck...

in NC...you have to go to the DMV with the title in hand, plus proof of insurance, and your driver's license...

the SELLER has to have signed the title and had the signature notarized...everything else can be done on the spot...

that's how you can sell a car over the internet...without buyer and seller being at the same place...

Greg

well after quite possibly the most uncomfortable 6 hours of my life (bus ride up @ 3:30am), as of yesterday I'm driving my first diesel. and boy is this thing great! totally kicks my jeep in the face. the only major things i would like to get fixed is the steering which is a little sloppy and the shifting issue. but other than that this truck is STRONG. now for the mods and other stuff I could probably do without but can't resist... oh yea don't forget the SVO!

Back