XJ...Exo, Internal Cage, or Chop-Top??

99jeeper

I didn't get time to wheel much in the past year due to working on a house and work. So that being said I decide I am planning to go wheel more this year. First place I'd like to go is the Flats on Jan. 10th, but I'd like to go ahead and build some sort of cage. I have the tube, had it for at least a year, now I just need to decide on what to build.
I was thinking either an exo like my buddies and I did to their xj...mine is the blue one,
386226_703465956493_7205557_35172817_514627981_n.jpg
Or I was think an internal cage just to cover the front two seats? Or if I knew I wouldnt regret it I was thinking about removing top and tubing it out?? I would like to wheel this summer and maybe next winter 4 link and chop back off and make something like this...
sickbuggyxj3.jpg
One of my most favorite jeeps on the web!

Thoughts? And pics if anyone has any ideas.

Hybrid cage FTW! You keep the body for bad weather and have the advantage of more interior room and some exocage protection.

Personally if you are planning on building it into some thing like the last picture id do nothing, or I would do something super simple over the front seats. I think doing a full Exo or internal cage then cutting it all up within a year would be a waste.

I did a partial chop top and internal cage in my xj years ago and loved it. Chopped the rear corner from C Pilar back and did a slight dove tail and gas tank relocation. I'll see if I can find pics. It allowed me to keep all four doors on for the winter time and I could even use a TJ windjammer to get a full enclosure.

If your wanting a buggy like in the last pic then build a tube chassis and stick some xj sheet metal on it. It will be much easier to make it the way you want and will be stronger than welding everything to a unibody. As far as winter wheeling in a buggy, its not bad as long as you remember your overalls.

I had a hybrid cage on my last ZJ, and the Exo was awesome for rub rails on rocks, and the internal pieces gave the structual integrity that it needed; however my first ZJ had a strictly exo cage and it kept me safe in a barrell roll, so either would work

I personally have one of each. My zj has an internal cage and my wifes jeep has an exo cage. While I don't care for the looks of an exo cage, her jeep is not beat. My zj on the other had looks like a crushed can. If you wheel around here and wheel the hard trails, the only way to keep the jeep looking respectable is some outside protection. With that said, a hybrid cage is the shiz! BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC. has made gorgeous hybrid cages.

My 0.02...

We have done all three. How are you going to wheel it? Do you want to chop it? How much?

Once chopped, an internal or hybrid cage is probably best. If you want to keep the body intact, I definitely recommend an Exo Cage. Sad part about nice looking Cherokee rigs, is once the body gets destroyed they look like hell! And a properly executed Exo will help the rigidity of the unibody nearly as well as an interior cage

Had a great time at the flats, but I haven't been able to work on the cage yet. I have been working on my first house, hope to have it done soon and then I can focus on the jeep!

I'm confused, you want to build an entire cage and then half a year later cut the entire truck up into a buggy? Seems like a lot of work and metal that won't be able to be salvaged. The buggy has really no following body lines. I think you should decide which one you want and then stick to it unless you have lots of spare time and money :)

I do like the hybrid approach. Reminds me of how the LR Defenders are built. A very tight exo combined with some interior protection but not to the point where you are tripping over tubes or smashing body parts into them everyday. I like the idea of cutting the back out (which eliminates lots of glass smashing potential) and putting some type of soft top on it past the C pillar.

Back