WTF?

mommucked

Endeavoring to persevere
I got 2 estimates for doing a rear brake job on my new/used 98 K1500. One was $800 :confused: another over $ 500. I don't get it, why should it cost so much? If I have to replace everything and the drums the parts are about $200. W/o drums and all new parts about $100. I pretty sure the drums can be turned and I'm going to do the job myself.

(Book time x Rate) + parts. $800 sounds pretty high...but if you figure a shop rate at $60-100/hr...and 4hrs worth of bay time...$500 doesn’t sound that far out of line.

(Book time x Rate) + parts. $800 sounds pretty high...but if you figure a shop rate at $60-100/hr...and 4hrs worth of bay time...$500 doesn’t sound that far out of line.
I don't know any shops that are $60 an hour. The cheapest around here is $75 and up near cary ford Chevy gm are all in the $100+ per hour.
A shop also marks up the parts, its just the way they have to do it to stay in business.

I don't know any shops that are $60 an hour. The cheapest around here is $75 and up near cary ford Chevy gm are all in the $100+ per hour.
A shop also marks up the parts, its just the way they have to do it to stay in business.

Yeah...actually initially just typed $100/hr...but figured someone would chime in with the ‘if you know someone’ or ‘some of the best shops are the little ones with low overhead’. And I actually typed up and deleted a mark up comment...but was trying to avoid any ‘that’s greedy’ comments. I was being intentionally generic and neutral to prevent a 10 page thread that spirals into an argument of dill pickles or bread and butter pickles being better. Damned if I do, damned if I don’t.

Yeah...actually initially just typed $100/hr...but figured someone would chime in with the ‘if you know someone’ or ‘some of the best shops are the little ones with low overhead’. And I actually typed up and deleted a mark up comment...but was trying to avoid any ‘that’s greedy’ comments. I was being intentionally generic and neutral to prevent a 10 page thread that spirals into an argument of dill pickles or bread and butter pickles being better. Damned if I do, damned if I don’t.
I meant to quote the ops post also taking what you said and adding to it.

I got 2 estimates for doing a rear brake job on my new/used 98 K1500. One was $800 :confused: another over $ 500. I don't get it, why should it cost so much? If I have to replace everything and the drums the parts are about $200. W/o drums and all new parts about $100. I pretty sure the drums can be turned and I'm going to do the job myself.

I'm not being an ass, do not take this reply as such.
Parts at a repair shop have at least a 35% markup.
Skilled labor costs $
75$ to $100 an hour is very reasonable, for skilled labor.
Shit costs money. Trust me.

If they (a shop] does the work, you are paying for a warranty and all the operating expenses that go with operating said small business.
IE, Liability insurance, Comp insurance, power bill, tire balance machine took a shit or whatever.

This is my opinion only, yours may vary.

'Dre ...

I appreciate the replies. I imagine some shops would rather not work on drum brakes when disc brakes are simpler and quicker.It seems they might make more money in 3 or 4 hours when doing multiple disc brake services in that time. I'm going to get a few more estimates.

I appreciate the replies. I imagine some shops would rather not work on drum brakes when disc brakes are simpler and quicker.It seems they might make more money in 3 or 4 hours when doing multiple disc brake services in that time. I'm going to get a few more estimates.

if you’ve seen the come backs of drum brakes from some shops, you’ll find the best guy you can and pay his price.

it’s not rocket science, but the inability of many to do it, do it correctly and without failure is staggering.

i’ve seen some scary shit from what i thought were decent wrenches

if you’ve seen the come backs of drum brakes from some shops, you’ll find the best guy you can and pay his price.

it’s not rocket science, but the inability of many to do it, do it correctly and without failure is staggering.

i’ve seen some scary shit from what i thought were decent wrenches
QFT!

I just thought..........maybe the $800 job includes flushing, replacing,bleeding the brake fluid?
Nope that would be near 1k.

UTfball68 said:
dill pickles or bread and butter pickles being better. Damned if I do, damned if I don’t.

Bread and butter, of course.
Anything else is for communists and only tolerated out of courtesy.

Bread and butter, of course.
Anything else is for communists and only tolerated out of courtesy.
In a land of steak and bacon, are pickles even worth discussing?

In a land of steak and bacon, are pickles even worth discussing?

If we lived in a world where Bud Light wasn't so vastly consumed, I'd have to agree....but since it DOES exist....

Back