Wrangler top question

93redzj

Ive taken the hard top off my girlfriends '01 TJ and we've put a bikini top on it as well as bought a windjammer for it and have to yet to install the tonneu cover. My question is when the bikini top is installed theres a gap between the roll bar and the top of the door which allows rain to get into the cab. Yes I know the jeeps interior is waterproof and shes driven it in the rain and its been rained in before im just wandering if theres any thing made like a gap guard to help cover that gap. Thanks for any help.

on TJs they make a bikini top that secures to the stock door surround. I had one on my old tj and it worked well. If you don't use that style you will face the same problem the rest of us do :)

We have a TJ we purchased with a hard and soft top. It came with a plastic door surround that bolts onto the bar between the windshield and the roll bar. You can pick them up at the Jeep dealership.

87rockzuk said:
We have a TJ we purchased with a hard and soft top. It came with a plastic door surround that bolts onto the bar between the windshield and the roll bar. You can pick them up at the Jeep dealership.
One of her friends have those surrounds your talking about, so you can pick it up at a jeep dealership?

I would look online at various boards' For Sale forums and Ebay before getting anally raped dry by the dealership. You should be able to find some for a lot less than what the dealership wants.

They also make what they call a half top. which gives you that pickup truck look but keeps you dry, problem is they run about 500 bucks from quadratec

NCJeepin said:
They also make what they call a half top. which gives you that pickup truck look but keeps you dry, problem is they run about 500 bucks from quadratec
Well what we have done is "piece" a half top together, we have bought the bikini top, windjammer, and tonneu cover which when all put together would give that half top look. Im not sure with the half top but with the bikini and windjammer in place theres still that gap to be taken care of.

there will be a gap unless you have a door surround, half top or 3 piece. I have the 3 piece and when I get stuck in rain I worry about back gaps. the water runs down the strap, hits the radio and it is out for about 2-4 days depending on the weather. (same with the speakers)

Now I have 3 pieces of plastic in the back area. when it rains I ziptie the pre made cover for the back area gap to the rollbar, and Velcro it to the windjammer. takes all of 4 minutes. Because it is in the back and I used heavy duty plastic the wind does not rip the plastic, when it does it cost all of 2 dollars to fix. one of these days I will get motivated to make something out of sailcloth, and straps. something that will last longer and never rip. if anyone makes and sells it before me, remember me and sell it for a good price :D

also check Ebay for the surrounds...

one thing I do with mine, is take the surround apart...leave the "horizontal" piece that attaches to the rollbar, and have the bikini top attach to the surround (instead of the rollbar)...

take the "vertical" piece off by removing the c-clip at the hinge, and you have better visibility, plus I think it just looks better...

here's an old poser pic with the vertical piece still on:

IMG_3044.jpg

here's a newer pic with the vertical piece gone, and all you see is the roll bar:

IMG_4878.jpg

Greg

purpleTJchick said:
big.. I never thought of that....

I really like it...

main reason I first did it, was because I preferred my Safari top be attached to the door surrounds instead of the rollbar, since my grab handles wouldn't fit on the rollbar if you wrapped the Safari top around them (or at least not in a comfortable position)...

figured if I wasn't running the full doors, no need for that section of the surround to be there...

most people never even notice how it's set up...

Greg

Back