Work day ideas

snappy

YHDG's adopted son!!!
Talking with people i am compliling some ideas to improve the trail system. Here are 2, feel free to ad any ideas we can use...
1. Using chipped wood for erison control
2. Using leaf blowers to "hide" illegal bypassed as we fix them. Use a leaf blower to settle the leaves and leave no trace of the packed down leaves from the trail...

Snappy ill post up my notes I took while riding trails this weekend, I will say there are some major things that need to be addressed very soon.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk

Snappy ill post up my notes I took while riding trails this weekend, I will say there are some major things that need to be addressed very soon.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk
Thanks . I will get them on the list...

Our Ctb club ride is this weekend, I will make sure to ride sawmill , inspect, and report any problems.

I say using plentifull resources that are allready in the woods is allways a good option, such as downed trees.

Here's some of the things I noticed this weekend.
  • water crossing by guard rail after poser rock, not sure it it has since stopped but due to the ran it looked like a little creek
  • noticed some illegal bypasses/trails on dickey bell after bridge, also at the top of bell hill
  • slit traps on every trail still need to be done
  • the road tie bridges on dickey bell need to be cleaned out, water is flowing over them, the one closest to bell hill is the worst of the two
  • trash on Daniel is pretty bad, but really trash everywhere is getting bad
  • Daniel has a few hidden atv sized trail above the rock slabs
I'm sure there's other things that need to be done/looked at but this is what I noticed, also I think the best way to block off bypasses is downed trees. There's just no way were going to get enough guard rail to block all of them off.

I think that alot of theses illegal bypasses can be fixed with a sawyer , straps, winch and big downed trees. Even if we have to drag them a ways it can be easily done. I see that bypasses can be an easy fix. I dont mean 8 inch diameter trees , I mean 2ft thick plus oak trees.

Downed oak tree= gaurdrail

I think that alot of theses illegal bypasses can be fixed with a sawyer , straps, winch and big downed trees. Even if we have to drag them a ways it can be easily done. I see that bypasses can be an easy fix. I dont mean 8 inch diameter trees , I mean 2ft thick plus oak trees.

Downed oak tree= gaurdrail

Agreed, I know it would be alot of work but if some of us walked them(the ones that go deep into the woods) and threw any small trees and other debris to block it off will help. Even on the trails that don't have issues there are some spots that can become an issue we can line the trail with small trees, kinda of how the new sections of trails that were done over the winter. To me it looks better than guardrail, works just as good and is free just need manual labor.

I noticed the V-shaped split rail fence behind a tree near the newly closed trail. Looked pretty effective to me.

If it were a single fence, it would look easy to destroy. The V looked like too much work to mess with. I think it would last a good while.

Some folks just innocently don't know what is right and wrong. While I was watching some folks climb Daniel a motorcycle climbed up through the woods on the right side going up. I flagged him down and asked him not to do that. He seemed sincere in not knowing he couldn't and was generally friendly. I think we all need to get the word out in a friendly fashion. On a related note, I can't believe how many "blue" beer cans are already on the trails. My brother and I hauled a few cans out last Wednesday while trailing.

What if we had a volunteer worker or two stationed at the closure points on work days, with information and whatnot for people who show up to that point and are all wtf. Could rotate em out over the course of the day. Not hand out paper, unless they seemed to really give a flip....just thinkin out loud.

^ hell yea,I like that idea and might just do that.Not be ugly to folks.Just talk to them...no matter what they ride, and explain that the trail was being abused by users who couldn't keep on the trail and take care of what was LOANED to us to use.Not put any group as the main reason. Then offer them a flyer on tread lightly and explain what can kind of be done as an individual to help out. Not be confrontational but more FYI. I like this idea alot.

^ hell yea,I like that idea and might just do that.Not be ugly to folks.Just talk to them...no matter what they ride, and explain that the trail was being abused by users who couldn't keep on the trail and take care of what was LOANED to us to use.Not put any group as the main reason. Then offer them a flyer on tread lightly and explain what can kind of be done as an individual to help out. Not be confrontational but more FYI. I like this idea alot.
Darren and myself( well mostly Darren) did this Sat at the outpost...

I like the idea of sitting at the guard rails as folks come up to go to Kodak and haven't heard what has happened.This kind of puts the point in somebody's face...something they can see as being blocked not just reading it or hearing about it. Then when asked why it is closed after they have driven X number of hours to play on Kodak...explain it to them.

The best thing to do would be to have someone that was Tread Lightly trained to be there and hand out the Tread Lightly stuff for the folks that have no clue.

I was afraid of this happening:

Was there any out there from what i gave out Saturday ? This is for the people that were out this last weekend or this week, as i gave out a bunch of stuff Saturday.

I didn't notice any flyers on the trails. Fwiw the one you handed me as I was unloading is in my glovebox with some spare maps. If I run into anyone needing a map that seems new I intend to pass it along. Our group picked up almost half a bag of trash from the top of Daniel Sunday when we stopped for lunch. Mostly blue beer cans.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I've posted the Adopt-A-Trail Guidelines and Trail Adoption Agreement here, for reference.

Back