Wood workers..... table saws and other equipment....

This right here. Can’t beat an older saw.
Yep, thats what i have. My dads old saw, i bet its 50 years old or more.
Still makes me grunt like Tim Allen when i crank it up and the lights dim

to do whats pictured you'll also need a dado blade and a sled.
My current attempt is more like a modular book case. The top, bottom, back and sides are solid. Unfortunately the side did not go like I had hoped.

Started with oak floor boards.
D910702D-75AF-4AAE-90D8-2FC9A38C48B5.jpeg

Clamped and glued.
Wood project.jpg

Side piece.
38F1DF53-5E38-44E9-94BB-3E69290ABF63.jpeg

Last edited:
i see some sanding in your future.

But if you have a table saw, you'll really need a sled with those uneven ends. Sled makes a world of difference in cross cutting pieces like that.

Watch out for the kick back, I took a piece of wood to the wrist yesterday and it got me some stitches!

i see some sanding in your future.

But if you have a table saw, you'll really need a sled with those uneven ends. Sled makes a world of difference in cross cutting pieces like that.

Watch out for the kick back, I took a piece of wood to the wrist yesterday and it got me some stitches!

Appreciate any pointers or suggestions or links. Never done anything like this so it will be a learning experience. Should I chop each board close to its final length then glue?

Why not use a router/ router table and guide?
. There is a small router table and router in the shop that was left behind by the step son. Don’t know how to work it or set it up though. To google.

If you have a skillsaw you could use a guide and get a pretty straight cut.
I thought about that after a friend suggested a track saw. I was looking at the Kreg track stuff in Lowes the other day.

If you have a skillsaw you could use a guide and get a pretty straight cut.
I thought about that after a friend suggested a track saw. I was looking at the Kreg track stuff in Lowes the other day.
If you're considering this, seriously, look at the router.
Routers are literally made for making grooves in things.
The only question is whether you have a bit that makes the profile shape you want

Setting up the router is really easy. Think of it like a drill on steroids where you use the bit to cut instead of drill. There's an adjustment to set the depth the bit goes into the wood, like the depth adjustment of a skilsaw.
You get different bits for different profile grooves to make, there's literally thousands of options but the most common is just a square notch.
It does take a little getting used to moving the router (if you use it freehand), b/c of the torque it can get away from you. But the whole point of a router table is so you can run things over the router just like you might a table saw.

Jesus is that an 18" blade on that thing?
Just over 16".

Last time I used one was standing in a bouncy boom lift, cutting overhead. 25 years ago...no way I could (or would) do it now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jesus is that an 18" blade on that thing?
Like ^ said, they are 16". @Loganwayne had one for sale last year. I tried to buy it from him even though I don't need it. I just wanted it.

I'm seeing a lot of radial arm saws for sale. Some for $100 - $150 Would this be a better option for cutting cross grain?

i just sold a radial arm saw. I just didn't use it. They can be good machines. Just like anything else some are better than others. Have to order blades for it because they are not sold locally.

What wood working tools do you have?

Chop saw, skill saw, jig saw, band saw too but it needs some small repairs.

I'm seeing a lot of radial arm saws for sale. Some for $100 - $150 Would this be a better option for cutting cross grain?
I have a mac daddy old cast iron DeWalt radial arm saw that will cut anything you throw in front of it and can crosscut something like 27" and rip something like 0-29". It's great for certain things, but I still use the 1950s Craftsman table saw that I got from my wife's grandpa at least 5 times as often.

I have a buddy that builds high dollar furniture and guitars, he loves a radial arm saw and doesn't own a table saw. But I'm sure it's personal preference.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I have a buddy that builds high dollar furniture and guitars, he loves a radial arm saw and doesn't own a table saw. But I'm sure it's personal preference.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
It very much has to do with what you are doing. I have a cheapo Kobalt chop saw that is the most used woodworking tool I own. The DeWalt radial is a much nicer piece of machinery, but I can't carry it over to the side of the yard where I'm building a playset for the kids :D

i just sold a radial arm saw. I just didn't use it. They can be good machines. Just like anything else some are better than others. Have to order blades for it because they are not sold locally.
I got rid of one I had for years that never got use after I got the table saw. They take up a lot of space... and at least a table saw can double as a table ;-)

I just sent you some pics of craftsman table saw and a heavy duty cast iron craftsman radial arm saw. Great price to buy both as package deal. Figure out which one you like best, sell other to recoup your money. Maybe find out you have used for both?

I just sent you some pics of craftsman table saw and a heavy duty cast iron craftsman radial arm saw. Great price to buy both as package deal. Figure out which one you like best, sell other to recoup your money. Maybe find out you have used for both?
I am interested if he is not.

Interested but holding on right now.

I am interested if he is not.
By all means if you can use it go ahead. I'm still researching and waiting on that check..... LOL!

Back