Wood workers..... table saws and other equipment....

ghost

So I know quite a few of you build stuff from wood. This is a new adventure for me. I have built shit before but not something like this that I want to look nice and do what I need. I've been researching table saws and other tools of the trade. Basically I'm using old wood floor to build modular record shelves. Why? Wood was free and oak.... Will it be labor intensive? Yes. We are in the middle of a pandemic so I got lots of time.... SO I figure the first tool I will need to cut these to the right dimension is a table saw. They will be about 14" x 14" x 24"

Will look something like this:

Record crate.png

Cathleen+Barrister+Bookcase.jpg

So my question is for a hobbyist and beginner what brand or specs should I look for in a table saw? 10" seems to be the standard.

I have been real happy, for what it is, with my Bosch 4000 (Current model is 4100, mostly the same except much improved guard/splitter). About $410 with stand.

Bigger than some other jobsite/contractor saws, but easy enough to store out of the way or load into a pickup alone.

Big heavy cabinet saws are nice and have their place, but the contractor saws are accurate enough for most tasks. Track saws are probably better now for cutting up sheet goods (plywood), but the table saw is about the only tool that excels at ripping thin stock.

...and a buddy of mine got rid of his table saw altogether. Does 90% of what he did with a track saw, and does rips on the band saw. But he's one of those guys that can build a piano with a chisel and handsaw and make it look good.

I'm using a bosch 4100 table saw. I got it for free and it works well however the motor needs to be replaced. I've messed with the dewalt table saw and its nice as well. 10" is the standard for most table saws. Can't go wrong with any major brand IMO

I've got a 10" Dewalt that I like. It can take a dado (stacked) blade which is nice. I don't know about the other brands.

I've got a 10" Dewalt that I like. It can take a dado (stacked) blade which is nice. I don't know about the other brands.
First I'll say the best table saw is a Saw Stop brand period. But, that's $1200.

The DeWalt is the next best thing of only for the rack and pinion fence. Dead on square every time.

I bought my used Delta Unisaw with an upgraded fence on Craigs List for $600 and I see them occasionally for similar prices. There is no way I would try to build anything without a good table saw , they are just too useful to not have one.

First I'll say the best table saw is a Saw Stop brand period. But, that's $1200.

The DeWalt is the next best thing of only for the rack and pinion fence. Dead on square every time.

Agreed on the SawStop. We have two at work and man are they nice units. Plus to whole potential benefits of not being able to remove limbs.

Thanks for the info. I've been looking on FB Marketplace and at Lowes. Lowes is about my only option here for new. Looks like Dewalt and Bosh have decent prices. Does anyone happen to know if the Kobalt is a rebadged Bosh?

Thanks for the info. I've been looking on FB Marketplace and at Lowes. Lowes is about my only option here for new. Looks like Dewalt and Bosh have decent prices. Does anyone happen to know if the Kobalt is a rebadged Bosh?

I wouldnt even consider the Kobalt. Had a buddy go through 2 of them in a couple weeks. I bought my Dewalt off EBay for like $289 new shipped to the door.

I still need to pick up a dado blade setup for mine but just haven't found one i like yet.

I have a portable Kobalt. It’s ok for a construction site but I would not use it for any type of furniture or anything you need long, straight cuts. The fence is garbage. The measurements on the degrees is crap. And the fence track on front of table is slightly higher than the table which means when the wood drops off this track, it screws up your cut, especially if you are cutting bevels.

I have an older 10' craftsman with cast iron top, belt drive I would part with if interested. Similar to this one.

table saw.png

I wouldnt even consider the Kobalt. Had a buddy go through 2 of them in a couple weeks. I bought my Dewalt off EBay for like $289 new shipped to the door.

Having used your Dewalt and my freebie Tradesman saw....I'll stick with the Tradesman.

I couldn't even write that with a straight face. :lol::lol: I will say that for the few cuts that I've needed it for, its actually been ok for a bottom of the barrel saw option. If my paycheck depended on it or I was a serious hobbyist, then no, not a chance.

Have you looked at the Diablo stacked dado set? Mine is old and still works well.

I've looked at those but don't have any experience with them. I have used the Irwin Marples set and have liked them. It's just hard to part with 100-200 for a couple saw blades

Tenyru and Amana make nice dado sets, but they're well over $200. A decent quality saw blade can easily be $50-100, so a complete dado set that costs $200+ isn't farfetched.

I have a tracksaw but still miss having a table saw for a couple specific things. I'll get one when I have someplace to put it. I'll probably never use a table saw for sheet goods ever again though.....

I have the older version of this:

RIDGID 13 Amp 10 in. Professional Cast Iron Table Saw-R4520 - The Home Depot

I added a zero clearance insert and have been very happy with it.

The Bosch and DeWalt portables are great, and will do exactly what you're after. The fences on them are generally a little limited, though. IIRC, they're going to top out in the neighborhood of 18".

I'll probably never use a table saw for sheet goods ever again though.....

Table saws are faster for repeatable/production type work, and they're a lot more versatile. If you just want to cut a straight line, you can get a aluminum straight edge from Harbor Freight for $20.

I have the older version of this:

RIDGID 13 Amp 10 in. Professional Cast Iron Table Saw-R4520 - The Home Depot

I added a zero clearance insert and have been very happy with it.

The Bosch and DeWalt portables are great, and will do exactly what you're after. The fences on them are generally a little limited, though. IIRC, they're going to top out in the neighborhood of 18".

Table saws are faster for repeatable/production type work, and they're a lot more versatile. If you just want to cut a straight line, you can get a aluminum straight edge from Harbor Freight for $20.

Newer DeWalt's will do 24" rips but you are right, the older models are about 20ish

Table saws are more versatile, yes. I still prefer track saws for sheet goods, because I think it's easier. It's just a different way of doing things. It won't replace a table saw, but it will make you use the table saw a lot less probably.

You should try one; it may change your mind and make you realize that's it's different than a $20 straight edge.

Last edited:
Back