Winter? Jeepster REbuild

R Q

Here is the Jeepster before the change. It had Currie 44 and 9" both wide track CJ width with spacers for more width. It was spring under with 6" lift Alcan springs. It was scary unstable in the rocks. I actually got pretty good and saving it from flipping or flopping over the years with a reverse drive out.
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc29_R_Queen_Mobile_20Uploads_2018a230e1ef3ff979a25eacf445368785c.jpg

It was my goal to start this project the week after the year end run but unexpected delays starting in September, has delayed it repeatedly.
The goal is to put full width axles under the Jeepster and switch to SOA.
I bought a used and built full width front Dana 44 for the front. All I need to do is to convert it to 5 on 5.5" and remanufacture the steering to fit the Jeepster.
I have an International Travelall rear Dana 60 SF that I've had here at the house for years. I'm converting it to 35 spline axles and adding disk brakes. Also adding a spool and 4:88 gears.
Will be putting some 37" Boggers on the rear and for now going to run my existing IROCKs on the front until they wear out a bit more.
I'll be buying some new HD Jeepster stock height springs from Alcan Spring
I'll try to get pics as I go but it's going to Mike Z's shop for the build so when I'm there, I'll take what I can (if I freaking remember! lol)
Here's a few pics of the purty parts I've been gathering...

Custom Cromoly Moser 35 Spline axles and spool
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc29_R_Queen_2014build4_zpse153ba0a.jpg

Last edited:
Here's what the 60 looks like under the Jeepster. Mounts are aligned better, new springs are installed. We had to shave a bit off of the axle flanges to make the brake rotors fit properly so waiting on them to be finished.
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc29_R_Queen_Jeepsterbuild_203_zpsxsfe3rk2.jpg

Here's the front 44 in place. Mike Z. did some great fitting and welding so it will all be aligned and fit properly. We are waiting on one little steering part from Go Fer It Offroad before we can proceed with the 1-ton steering.
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc29_R_Queen_Jeepsterbuild_202_zpswa0bqy3t.jpg

Here's how it will sit in front. It's a bit wider than it was before. With the trick new SOA Alcans it will be a LOT more stable. I had them built with a reverse eye so I would have more arch in a stock, no lift spring and I also had them military wrap the front of the rear spring and the rear of the front springs. It's kind of like a buggy spring application but not really, you'll have to see it to understand what they did. I'm excited and cautiously optimistic on their performance.
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc29_R_Queen_JeepsterBuild_201_zpshouddruh.jpg

LOts of progress this week but only a couple pics. Rear disks are on and functioning and had to mount the new Boggers on the beadlocks
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc29_R_Queen_Jeepster_20build_201_zpssyqlzp0a.jpg

ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc29_R_Queen_Jeepster_20build_zpsmq0sut8z.jpg

I hope the SOA config works out for you brother... those Alcans SUA flexed a little too well ;)

Appears we've all waited until 2 months out on the JAM to begin work... SMH

I picked it up from Mike Z's last night. It feels GREAT! Very solid, not too stiff.
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc29_R_Queen_Jeepsterbuild_206_zpshiskiipl.jpg

ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc29_R_Queen_Jeepsterbuild_208_zpsojgev7ih.jpg

A shot from the rear while it's flexed on the tire mats
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc29_R_Queen_jeepsterbuild_209_zpszvlc4z4w.jpg

May need to look into some bumpstops bro! Even those Alcans won't gonna take kindly to repeated negative arching before they stay that way... like mine :rolleyes:

Yes it was us, we needed a cold beer and some grub! Actually we went to Big Creek
Dude, you should've called...I was working on my deer plot 5 miles away! I'm always down for a cold beer!

Back