Windrock vs. black mtn. opinions wanted

Harlan has the added benefit of being able to spin the wheel and play "will my shit still be there when I wake up?!"
a couple years ago, someone had a dirt bike stole just 2 spaces away from us at Windrock. At Harlan, some in our group have been victims of thievery there too. But, it's been a while. Harlan does have camping spots within the trail system. It's a camp ground, just past pay station. primitive camping only. But you can go to the 2 camp grounds and use the showers. As far as I know, Windrock does not offer camping on the trails, but I have camped in the parking lot before. As far as what you said you have, I would say, Windrock as more for you to drive as far as miles of trails, than Harlan. But, you can have fun at either place.

You were totally there too. I had almost forgotten. And back then was when Greg Wolfe had first gotten into wheeling and IIRC, still on 31s, unless that was Bumpus cove.
Damn I miss them days.

Greg's first trip on 31s was Bumpass. Same trip Brian put the link bolt through the oil pan. Shortly after that Brooks and I help Greg do the lift, 8.8, 35s, and bumpers. Pretty sure he was on that windrock trip with the 35s.

I’ve never had an issue at Harlan. As always you should secure things and not invite people to steal your stuff.

First time I went to Harlan I was on 33s and I had a blast. I wouldn’t hesitate to take a rig on 33s back to Harlan.

well now ain't this a switch up. Last year when I was deciding on doing either windrock or harlan, ya'll talked me into doing Harlan. Ya'll said Harlan is fun...you will have a good time..etc.etc. Okay,fine...Harlan it is...allready set up with a cabin and such. My tires are 32 inches tall and 7.5 inches wide...now yall are saying harlan would be better if you are taller than 33s,locked,winches...WTF!!!! It is what it is and it's going to happen. Ain't backing up now.

I've been to both Harlan (several times, a lot actually) and Windrock (twice).

First time at Harlan and Windrock I took my Tacoma (2010 with some lift, factory locker, 33's and some skids and sliders). Had a blast with it. I didn't do anything super hard but I still had fun.

With Harlan compared to how it was then, ~2012, it may be a trick getting up from Putney at the switch back / rock ledge place with no locker. It's sharp and the use and elements had made it a touch sharper and the rock more pronounced.

Campgrounds I would compare them the same. Both have nice facilities and neither I nor the groups I have been with have ever had anything messed with or stolen, and that's tent camping with tow rigs, trailers, and a atv for trail scouting. Windrock does have a key code door thing to get to the shower houses but I've never known any random people to show up in the ones at Harlan.

Windrock seems to have more gravely-ish roads and easy stuff but it's an all around bigger place.

Both are about the same distance from me, ~2/3 hrs, but I like Harlan more for some reason, even with my current rig. Maybe it's because I can navigate it without a map idk, but Harlan is my personal favorite.

Go to both in time and see what you think. You can ride easy stuff, scrape a rock/tree, or roll over either place.

well now ain't this a switch up. Last year when I was deciding on doing either windrock or harlan, ya'll talked me into doing Harlan. Ya'll said Harlan is fun...you will have a good time..etc.etc. Okay,fine...Harlan it is...allready set up with a cabin and such. My tires are 32 inches tall and 7.5 inches wide...now yall are saying harlan would be better if you are taller than 33s,locked,winches...WTF!!!! It is what it is and it's going to happen. Ain't backing up now.

I guess they know you can drive better than me......

Both!

That's like choosing between Reba circa 1993 and Carrie Underwood circa 2006.
Can't go wrong with either and exploring both would be a life changer.

Go to Windrock. For a rig on 33s, much more variety
Reba is picker-lipped and do not want

Back