Windrock 5-3-19... From grip to slip

Great write up. Great pictures and videos.

What are you planning on changing with your rig?

Great write up. Great pictures and videos.

What are you planning on changing with your rig?
A few things. I'm getting rid of my doubler and going back with an underdrive unit. My current one hangs down and I'm wanting a flatter belly. Plus they'll be some weight savings involved. I also plan to change the front upper link mounting area. This will give me better triangulation. The rear four link will also be reworked. It used to tuck in higher than it does now. Lastly, I'm going to work with my fan and shroud configuration to see if I can't get more efficient cooling.

Awesome pics and videos....makes me wish I was more than just a web wheeler!

I think @ramjo was lying to me when he said he followed you up atomic ridge :lol:
I told him we were headed that way. Maybe he did but we took the scenic route getting there.

Busted....I made that part up. We did see the exit of trail 23 on our world tour around mile 45. It looked steeeeep...

I highly recomend the drive to the northern reaches of the park... there are some wicked fun trails up at the very north end, devils elbow, croos mountain power line trail, buggy gardens 1, 2 ,and 3 etc
I've never heard of any of that shit

I highly recomend the drive to the northern reaches of the park... there are some wicked fun trails up at the very north end, devils elbow, croos mountain power line trail, buggy gardens 1, 2 ,and 3 etc

I'm with @McCracken I ain't heard of any of those. Trail numbers?

I'm with @McCracken I ain't heard of any of those. Trail numbers?
I tend to stay away from the North side just because of distance. When you come to ride the last thing you want to do is drive an hour to hit some mediocre trail. The ones on the South side are far enough as is. I'm having my wife bring me my map here at work so I can take a look at the North end of the park tonight. Maybe if I took one of the kids for a mild ride it wouldn't be so bad.

So I got bored here at work and downloaded an app called Maprika. It has all the Windrock maps on it, which is nice. Anyway, I pulled up Google maps to look around some. Recently, on the FaceSpace, pictures of Panther Rock (#51?)have been floating around. Yet another destination I've yet to go see. I'm not joking. You talk about out there and way the hell out there. Once you find that on your map keep going and you can find these other trails. Looks like #72, #54a, #54b, C1, C2, & C3 are the black diamond trails.

To hell with driving my rig that far. Looks like the best thing to do is drive your tow rig to Beech Grove. Find some place to offload and hit the spider web looking. If you were to make it out there it appears there's a place called Coal Creek BBQ that gets 4.7 stars :smokin:

So I got bored here at work and downloaded an app called Maprika. It has all the Windrock maps on it, which is nice. Anyway, I pulled up Google maps to look around some. Recently, on the FaceSpace, pictures of Panther Rock (#51?)have been floating around. Yet another destination I've yet to go see. I'm not joking. You talk about out there and way the hell out there. Once you find that on your map keep going and you can find these other trails. Looks like #72, #54a, #54b, C1, C2, & C3 are the black diamond trails.

To hell with driving my rig that far. Looks like the best thing to do is drive your tow rig to Beech Grove. Find some place to offload and hit the spider web looking. If you were to make it out there it appears there's a place called Coal Creek BBQ that gets 4.7 stars :smokin:

Hell that ain't much further than Walden's Ridge which is roughly 15 mins from the general store. If you could hammer down on the gravel and drive like @Jody Treadway does then you get there in another 15-20.

On a side note the next time I go to Windrock I'm gonna try and do 3 full days. That far out will kill a whole day. Walden's can be done in half a day if you dip out after the ledge. There's also a place called the sand mines that lika awesome but no clue where it's at.

Hell that ain't much further than Walden's Ridge which is roughly 15 mins from the general store. If you could hammer down on the gravel and drive like @Jody Treadway does then you get there in another 15-20.

On a side note the next time I go to Windrock I'm gonna try and do 3 full days. That far out will kill a whole day. Walden's can be done in half a day if you dip out after the ledge. There's also a place called the sand mines that lika awesome but no clue where it's at.
I'm friends with some folks that go to the Sandmines regularly. I figure if I ever get a group up that wants to go I'll give them a shout so one of them can be the tour guide.

I'm down like a whore's drawers buddy.
Say when

guys waldens is 10 minutes from the parking lot driving reasonable speeds for flat tires...

You have to go with someone who has been before and know where they are going and doesnt have to stop for map checks every intersection. I would love to get a group and ride up and show you the north end that I know but there are still tons of trails up there I havent seen.

Last time we were there they had cut about 20 new trails that arent on the 2018 edition of the paper map. I would be willing to bet they are gnarly after the rains this winter. They werent a cake walk before last winter.

I'm friends with some folks that go to the Sandmines regularly. I figure if I ever get a group up that wants to go I'll give them a shout so one of them can be the tour guide.

I'm down like a whore's drawers buddy.
Say when

It'll probably be January/February before I can get back to Windrock but I'm down. To many other rides and I'm out of vacation time with all the other rides planned for the year. There is Harlan in August though.

guys waldens is 10 minutes from the parking lot driving reasonable speeds for flat tires...

You have to go with someone who has been before and know where they are going and doesnt have to stop for map checks every intersection. I would love to get a group and ride up and show you the north end that I know but there are still tons of trails up there I havent seen.

Last time we were there they had cut about 20 new trails that arent on the 2018 edition of the paper map. I would be willing to bet they are gnarly after the rains this winter. They werent a cake walk before last winter.

Yeah we had Chip with us on stickys snd no tag which is why it took us a little longer. A club members son in law that lives in the area and wheels it a lot guided us to/through Walden's.

@DieselToyPullr and I were out there a month ago. We hit most of the same trails you guys did and had a blast. Atomic ridge is no joke. We had never been to windrock before so we were just kinda going along and picking out black diamonds on the map. We ended up at the entrance to atomic ridge at about 3 or 4 pm on our second day there, after it had down-poured the night before. We didn’t make it off that trail and back to the cabins until about 1 am. The entrance was bad, and everything after it just got worse. After several flops and many winch pulls, we decided to turn around because it didn’t seem like the trail was getting any easier as we looked ahead. And trust me when I say we were NOT excited about going down what we had just spent hours struggling to get up. On the way down we found a bypass that we hadn’t seen on the way up that took us back to the bottom. I would do it again, but first thing in the morning and only if it was bone dry.

I know how far it is. We've done it before. I'm still not a fan of taking my tires on the pavement at moderate speeds for any length of time. The only reason I run mine around the neighborhood is because I love my kids.

You can hit the north end on the main gravel road in 20 minutes... you just gotta keep the pace up and not take a wrong fork in the road

Yeah, and pray you don't hit a pothole and yard sale your shit! Those "gravel roads" are in terrible shape. They are in need of some serious maintenance.

where the hell you gonna put any camping gear? you dont even have room for a passenger with your tools in yours
One thing is for sure, I will get more in mine further than you will in yours.

Back