Window tint

Junkyard Dog

anyone know anything about it? I've got a couple trucks I think I'm gonna tackle myself,but what is good quality tint? Had a local shop do several of my trucks over the years and they do good work but I'd like to try it myself. I've looked a Llumar and 3m products but they have several different series. Llumar is what is on two of my trucks but not sure which series, was put on few years ago by local shop. 20% is what I'm looking at if it matters

I had a shop in Winston do mine. I went with the ceramic infused whatever it is. Can’t feel any heat through it. I’d do it again.

Pay the man.

just had the wife’s put to 20% and thought about doing it myself. For $100 w/ a 2 yr warranty I’d have been crazy not to have forked a benjie

Its not really about cost, I've payed to have 7-8 trucks done over the years. I just kinda want to tackle it myself. Used to help a woman in HS install on house windows so I have some experience, granted they were all flat and square and 20 years ago

I used to do my own but never was happy with the edges and always had some hair line scratches. Never got good at it but it worked.

I have done a bunch of my own on DD hooptys but her truck is too nice so I wanted it done right. The old tint on the front two had started to get crappy so for a strip and tint for $110 out the door I just dropped it off. I just had them match the fronts to the rear factory “tinted” glass.

Pay the man.

just had the wife’s put to 20% and thought about doing it myself. For $100 w/ a 2 yr warranty I’d have been crazy not to have forked a benjie
+1 on this. Window tinting is one of those things where it pays to buy big rolls and practice.

Pay someone to get a good job done and feel good about supporting a local business.

Speaking of that, I’m seeing a lot of tinted windshields lately. Must not be enforced to hard. I ain’t doing it tho.

It started becoming more popular when inspection stickers went away. I have one truck with a tinted windshield. It is nice for a long road trip. And with the stupid ass squated trucks and bright ass lights aimed in the trees it helps along.

It started becoming more popular when inspection stickers went away. I have one truck with a tinted windshield. It is nice for a long road trip. And with the stupid ass squated trucks and bright ass lights aimed in the trees it helps along.
I bet. Some I’m seeing are DARK. I’d get a ticket after 1 day rolling like that with my luck.

It's actually 35% with a 3% tolerance...so it can be as dark as 32%. Cars can't be darker than 32 all the way around. Trucks, just the front two windows. The rest could be solid, black vinyl if you wanted.

I've got legal up front and 20 over factory on my HD and it sucks to try and back anything up at night. My windshield is 80%. Barely noticeable, but it helped a lot, believe it or not.

The key seems to be keeping it wet until you get it where you want it and then a good squeegee to get it laid down nicely. A cutter is nice...it'd be a pain to get the pattern cut out, but gravy after that.

I always pay to have it done. I can do it but by the time I buy the good tint it’s not much more for a pro just to knock it out for me and if there is a fuck up, it’s their problem.

78F825E8-A9EB-4D83-950C-E2B1DEFAD414.jpeg

5% over factory on the back glass and rear side doors. 5% on my front doors. Thug life. I find myself getting high beamed more by people behind or beside me than oncoming. It doesn’t bother me to roll the windows down when backing at night. Most places I park trailers have a pull through anyway.

From an LEO friend: “just don’t do the tint strip or windshield at all. If they can’t see your hand on the wheel and/or face when driving at you, your chances of a tint ticket go up exponentially.”

So I feel I might not have been 100% clear, I'm going to try this myself. Its not really about the cost, I have 4 trucks to do and I can math pretty fair. I have had a local shop do multiple trucks and they do good work but can't accommodate one of my trucks(dump truck). The folks that come to you and tint haven't impressed me on a couple friends trucks.

So anyone have experience with llumar or 3m tent? Ceramic or not?

Thanks for responses, I understand the legality of the different shades and such. I have had from to double 5% to 35% and like 20% on the side for a DD

Darker than 35% is illegal on front doors in N.C. FYI.

I always love seeing the unmarked WSPD cars with 5% all the way around and would love to one day walk up and remind them of this

So I feel I might not have been 100% clear, I'm going to try this myself. Its not really about the cost, I have 4 trucks to do and I can math pretty fair. I have had a local shop do multiple trucks and they do good work but can't accommodate one of my trucks(dump truck). The folks that come to you and tint haven't impressed me on a couple friends trucks.

So anyone have experience with llumar or 3m tent? Ceramic or not?

Thanks for responses, I understand the legality of the different shades and such. I have had from to double 5% to 35% and like 20% on the side for a DD

Llumar ceramic is the new top stuff.

Back