Winch motors?

Tacoma747

The winch motor on my XD9000i is pretty bad looking, it works, but after taking thw winch apart, the motor had dirt, rust, and other trash inside of it. Mostly rust. Does Warn make re-build kits for them, or where could I get a new motor, searched some, but not really wanting to spend $150 on one, going to try and either clean the one I have thoroughly, or get the guy I bought it from to get me one at dealer cost because I think he may be a dealer.

Thanks

At places like Radio Crap, you can get electrical cleaning spray. Pulling the winch motor apart this will allow you to clean it and check the winding. That's the big bunch of woven copper wiring. Check for broken, bent, or burnt places. The winch motor is very similar to a starter motor. The next important part is the brushes. I think I would go ahead and replace these if I had it down this far. The next thing to check would be the bearings. I don't think it has actual bearings, but probably a self lubricating type of close fit for the shaft to ride on. Check for clearance and wear. Other than these things connections and so on are your main concerns. Take your time, take pictures, and you can do it. Should be able to go on line and get an exploded view of the winch motor for part numbers and names to order from Warn.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Chip.

I used a wire wheel to knock off the rust off the motor (but made sure not to hit the windings), and used scotch brite on the part that the brushes ride on.

Took the old broken paper out, which acted as an insulator between the can and the connections, but I am going to put some fiberglass resin behind them, since it will bond good, won't hold moisture behind it like the paper did, and will act as an insulator. Other than that I don't guess it is too bad, sent all the aluminum parts of the winch off to be re-powdercoated, and should have them back in a week or two I guess.

Back