Wile E. Toyote pickup

Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by ProbablyBroke, Oct 1, 2018.

1. ProbablyBroke

ProbablyBroke does not torque to spec

IMG_4076.JPG I bought this Toyota about a month ago after my plans for a simple stock 1984 pickup on 33"s snowballed into a truck build. I have since decided that the 84 truck isn't what I want to wheel, so I picked up something a little more like what I wanted to build, that just needed some work.
    I'm on a 6 month training assignment in the eastern part of the state, so most of my metalworking tools stayed in Charlotte, that being said, I'm still no fabricator. Luckily, whoever did the axle swap did a pretty fair job. Don't expect much more than some black rustoleum, a few new seals and some bolt on's from this thread.
    The previous owner didn't really know anything about the truck. So the whole situation was a bit of a crap shoot. The PO had pulled the transmission because he said it was making a funny sound in 4th. So we winched it onto the trailer, loaded the trans and t case in the bed of the tow pig and it became my new problem.

C.Berry, 4LowandSlow, Nakoma and 8 others like this.
  2. ProbablyBroke

The truck is a 1993 with 22re, 5 speed, single stock case. 5.29s in the axles. 63" chevy rear springs, 5" trailgear front springs, high steer, bobbed maybe 6". It has a rotten flatbed, cracked windshield, some goofy long rear shackles, and was on bald 38.5 GROUND HAWGS when I bought it. :) I couldn't sleep knowing people might hear that I had a truck on ground hawgs, so I snagged a set of 36x12.5x15 TSL sx from @92_beater.
    IMG_4077.JPG IMG_4078.JPG IMG_4080.JPG IMG_4085.JPG

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    C.Berry, 4LowandSlow, Andy J. and 5 others like this.
  3. ProbablyBroke

First order of business is to get the drivetrain functional again. I picked up a used w56b, which uses a topshift case, from @kyleg336, but have been catching hell trying to track down a 6 bolt shifter to use with this trans. Unless, someone chimes in that has one, I might be a looking for another w56 that uses a forward shift case.

I placed an order for a single case BudBuilt crossmember and am eagerly awaiting its arrival so I have less reasons to procrastinate making this truck move on its own. I have a 21 spline 4.7 case to use with this truck.

Nakoma likes this.
  4. cgm147

cgm147 Well-Known Member

Marlin crawler has shifters but I know they are not cheap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. ProbablyBroke

The rotten flatbed was bothering me. So I summoned just enough energy to get off the couch last night and yank it off. The flatbed that is...
    This will get me to my favorite stage of any truck build, which is pressure washing and spray painting things at terrible angles.
    IMG_4092.JPG

6. ProbablyBroke

IMG_4093.JPG
    This beauty came in the mail today.

cgm147, Scooter402, BigSouth and 4 others like this.
  7. ProbablyBroke

IMG_4094.JPG
    Churched it up a bit.

ramjo, drkelly, skyhighZJ and 2 others like this.
  8. BigSouth

BigSouth Doesn't play well with others!

That’s one classy coffee table! Top marks for originality.

Creekin likes this.
  9. ncsutj

ncsutj Well-Known Member

Dual purpose coffee table

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

10. YJJPWrangler

YJJPWrangler Well-Known Member

I swear, you change rigs like most people change socks...:lol:

Are you going to build a new flatbed for it? I really dig the looks of it on there.

BigSouth and drkelly like this.
  11. frankenyoter

frankenyoter No Rain, No Rainbow

:rockon:

12. ProbablyBroke

@YJJPWrangler im planning another flatbed. I'd like to find a piece of 5'x5' 1/4" plate to bolt down, but will likely make it out of 4x4 and 5/4 decking. This rig is just to keep my mind occupied while I gather parts/material/funds for a single seater I've been jonesing to have built. I really kicked myself for getting rid of the DOUBLEMINT ranger, but transfer case gearing on those is expensive, and it was too pretty to beat on. I'll really be able to start working on the TOYOTE once the 84 leaves the yard.

13. ProbablyBroke

Hit the front end of her goodies with two cans of rustoleum professional gloss black.
    I've never had a solid axle toyota with the ifs Hubs and vented rotor upgrade. IMG_4095.JPG IMG_4096.JPG

C.Berry, hurt4x4, Creekin and 4 others like this.
  14. ProbablyBroke

IMG_4105.JPG
    Tis the season

15. cgm147

cgm147 Well-Known Member

If its not already, box in that front sky hanger before it gets bent up. I did mine after I saw one bent to crap.

16. ProbablyBroke

That's a good idea. I saw that it wasn't boxed the other day when I was under the truck painting. I've been waiting on my shipment from Rockauto to show up, with my new clutch, pan gasket, rear main seals. I found a w56a/b six bolt shifter from a Toyota hoarder out of Candler, 65$ later. IMG_4118.JPG IMG_4120.JPG I actually really liked the wooden flatbed that was on the truck when I bought it, so I'm recreating it with decent materials and hackfab woodworking. Today, I got the 4x6 runners fitted and bolted down. Counter sunk the bolts with impact for that extra touch of class.

Andy J. and yager like this.
  17. Paul

Paul Nacho Momma... Moderator

Looking good home boy!

18. ProbablyBroke

If I chop those rear shackles down an inch or two, what sort of axle wrap issues would you expect?

19. BigSouth

BigSouth Doesn't play well with others!

It’s my opinion that axle wrap is more dependent on the spring pack. How many leaves are removed? How soft are they?

drkelly likes this.
  20. Ibayne

Ibayne Well-Known Member

Mine are 4 inch Boomerang shackles. Put them on last week when I done the 63 Chevy spring swap. I haven’t noticed any wrap an mines daily driver

21. cgm147

cgm147 Well-Known Member

Just drill them and leave them long for "mock up" to see how they look. If you like it chop them off if not move it back and weld up the drilled holes or run another bolt and spacer to fill the void. I'll see if I can find a pic of how I did my front hanger.

22. ProbablyBroke

I just checked those shackles are 9" center to center. They are 4 leaf 63" chevys. I'm thinking they used the long shackle to compensate for having moved the rear shackle mounts forward. I'd like to drop it about 2" in the rear.

23. ProbablyBroke

IMG_4146.JPG Had planned on having the transmission back in the truck today, but went hunting and got a late start. I also had planned on swapping in a fancypants aluminum oil pan that came of a parts truck with a 20r. Didn't do the research before I pulled the stock pan, and realized that you also have to use the 20r oil pickup tube as well.
    So I replaced the pan gasket, slapped the stock pan on there, replaced the rear main seal which likely did more harm than good, and bolted up a new 9-5/16" Exedy clutch. Stock clutch for the w56a is 8-7/8. I've run the 9-5/16" clutches in a w56c before with no issues. I did manage to hose myself in the eye with brake cleaner richochet one good time.

24. frankenyoter

frankenyoter No Rain, No Rainbow

Brake cleaner to the eyeball sucks. Nice work. I always up size the clutch when replacing. Never had an issue either .

25. ProbablyBroke

Got the trans up under the truck and bolted in. I might be twiddling my thumbs today if I cant source a 710306 oil seal for the output shaft of the transmission in town. Every parts store catalog/system spits out a part number for a 233840 seal which is too big. I have today off and would love to get something done.