WiFi Router Recommendation 2020 Edition

BigBody79

Our 2014 Wireless router has begun dropping our kids chromebooks like hot potatoes. We are looking to upgrade our wireless router.

Currently have 2 smart TV's, 4 computers, 4 phones, 4 tablets and maybe some other stuff.

I would like the most robust, fastest, and reliable out there.

I don't mind spending the money on a high quality unit that is set and forget.

Any Recommendations.

We have been happy with our Netgear R7000. It has a flashable ROM but it dosn't sounds like you care about that kind of thing.
What IS convenient is that it has a built in print server and USB port, so you can make any printer a network printer for any device. Similarly you can plug in extra storage devices for backups etc.

@DSM Turbos Google WiFi, maybe?

We're all Ubiquiti here, and super happy with it. If you need multiple access points and higher levels of security, it's great, but that comes with a bit of extra legwork to set up and maintain.

I want to say that we do have something like the netgear R7000. We do have it set up like a print server and have a external harddrive set up on the router.

I know of 4 other households and myself using a netgear orbi system (RBK23).
No complaints.
chromebooks, ipads, phones, cameras (6), robot vacuum, 2 fire sticks, chromecast, all rolling along fine.

@DSM Turbos Google WiFi, maybe?

We're all Ubiquiti here, and super happy with it. If you need multiple access points and higher levels of security, it's great, but that comes with a bit of extra legwork to set up and maintain.

If I had to do it again, I'd do Ubiquiti, but that is because we have a ton of devices and the additional setup would be worth it to me (26 devices on the network right now).

I found the wifi speeds on the other "pods", "access points" or whatever you want to call them was honestly pretty bad. I would get 600 down on the hard wired unit, the one not more than 25' away (you know how big our house is) would see like 60. I have since changed them to all be hardwired and everything is working much better now. Google wifi though (now nest I think), is great for most people. Really easy to setup overall. I work from home and i'm on constant video calls all day, as well as a middle schooler on video calls all day as well for class.

Google wifi though (now nest I think), is great for most people. Really easy to setup overall.

Looks like nest wifi is one of the fastest options with wifi backhaul, too. Wifi 6 should be faster, but those options are all over $500 right now.

Looks like nest wifi is one of the fastest options with wifi backhaul, too. Wifi 6 should be faster, but those options are all over $500 right now.
I went with orbi because it offers wired backhaul. The others I looked at when I bought didn't have it.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I went with orbi because it offers wired backhaul. The others I looked at when I bought didn't have it.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

most of them do, they don't really talk about it, google has had it for years. I had my garage on it for a long time, but then finally wired the other house part after realizing why it was so bad.

most of them do, they don't really talk about it, google has had it for years. I had my garage on it for a long time, but then finally wired the other house part after realizing why it was so bad.

Agreed. Some of the UniFi stuff can do wireless backhaul, but mine are all POE except for the one in the shed. I ran fiber and a power injector for surge resistance.

Well, I'm bringing this back up to the top. New problems

We recently installed a security system with a dvr that can connect to the internet for viewing through the app. However, it needs direct access to the router or modem.

Right now at the Inlaws we have the R8000 and the standard spectrum modem. At my house I have a Bearifi wifi repeater.
We are 150-175 feet apart.

Line in the ground is the best option. I doubt that will happen.

My DVR requires port forwarding to be able to connect to the online app.

So, can a point to point wireless bridge from their house to our house work?

I'm thinking R8000 to Wireless bridge on their side with cat5e. Then wireless bridge to a switch-then to Wireless access point and hard line to TV and DVR.

Could this work?

I would. Cable company won’t come. FIL is the end of the line.

like 15k to get their service.
I understand your pain. My neighbor (~300yds away) is the last house with spectrum. They won't even talk to me about running me a line, won't even give me a quote. My other neighbor was a technician for spectrum for 20 yrs and he said the box on our road was full and that it wasn't worth it to them to upgrade just to add me.

I would. Cable company won’t come. FIL is the end of the line.

like 15k to get their service.
I got lucky was about 30 feet outside of spectrums allowed limits. They put in a pedestal about 40 feet from my house no charge.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I understand your pain. My neighbor (~300yds away) is the last house with spectrum. They won't even talk to me about running me a line, won't even give me a quote. My other neighbor was a technician for spectrum for 20 yrs and he said the box on our road was full and that it wasn't worth it to them to upgrade just to add me.

To me this is complete bullshit. At somepoint this company was given the rights to come in and have a monpoly over the area probably by local government. They should be forced to serve all of the community. I know it isn't 'worth' it for them to add service for one house but damn you have complete control over the whole area.

What about Nomad Wireless or similar?

4g LTE isn't going to be as fast as getting in from next door.

I think that I am going to go with a Ubiquiti AirMax NanoBridge to a Switch with a wireless AP point at our house.
I'm in over my head but its cool.

To me this is complete bullshit. At somepoint this company was given the rights to come in and have a monpoly over the area probably by local government. They should be forced to serve all of the community. I know it isn't 'worth' it for them to add service for one house but damn you have complete control over the whole area.
I assume they will add it for a price, right? We are like 200ft too far, so they want like $7000 to run a new service :eek:

4g LTE isn't going to be as fast as getting in from next door.

I think that I am going to go with a Ubiquiti AirMax NanoBridge to a Switch with a wireless AP point at our house.
I'm in over my head but its cool.
Without getting into a ton of details, Spectrum is a CLEC/ISP, they don't have to play by the same rules as telephone. Also, telephone is required to serve every residence, but didn't require internet. Cable basically serves who they want.

Back