why does it take so long

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
to do a simple job!

Today was install the 35 spline stuff

First was passenger side, since it was already broke from the last Mountain City Ride. I had bought a new spindle from Andy also ( had been in the process of buying it for a long time, since last summer actually) .
U-Joint went smooth, went to slide the axle in and whatayou know, it won't fit. I called several friends and some had issues like I was having, other didn't. So I shaved a little off and got it to go through.
Installed new spindle and hub still didn't want to go up(is this normal?) little persuasion, and it went.
Next come the drivers side. one word,.....YUK!
The lock out was coated in a layer of rusty powder, and seems everything else looked about the same. So all new bearings, and seal. I worked on getting the hub and rotor off for about two hours. When it finally did come off, the inner bearing and seal stayed on the spindle. I worked on it for over an hour and it's still there! I slid the new axles in, and guess what, it went in no problem. Didn't have to grind on it at all.I used the spindle I replaced from the passenger side. Still was difficult to get the rotor and hub slid up on the spindle, but finally got it on .
So all of this was an all day job. And I wasn't alone. My wife Leslie was there helping where she could. She even learned how to pack a wheel bearing too!

so, now I wait on my drive flanges. They are supposed to be here tomorrow.

Took me 6 hrs just to change spark plugs/wires/dist/rotor cap.
Seems like everything I do to the jeep takes about 10 times longer than most folks. You should see me installing floors though,.....fast as lightning!

Damn, I get to do this next wk now that I FINALLY got my axles back from getting them regeared. Hey Chip, since you're an experienced man now, would you like to help me move along to something else and put mine together for me:D?

Damn, I get to do this next wk now that I FINALLY got my axles back from getting them regeared. Hey Chip, since you're an experienced man now, would you like to help me move along to something else and put mine together for me:D?

Be happy to help, but last we figured it, we were on oppsite schedules

Be happy to help, but last we figured it, we were on oppsite schedules

Considering you're going wheelin this wknd and I'm working
7a-7p fri,sat,sun thats a big 10-4. Good to see you're wheelin, have fun and take care.

I feel your pain.. In my attempt to replace the front main seal on the yota, I cracked the radiator, messed it up even more when I tried to get the PS cooler off. Its replacement will arrive tomorrow though.

A one night job now will take two... But the good things is that I'll get all new hoses, and clamps.

It took 2 hours to change the first ball joint on my fourwheeler last night. Took 15 minutes to do the second. Spent 5 hrs doing a job that should have taken 3.

It once took me and 3 friends 2.5hrs to complete a game of horseshoes on Carolina Beach, but there was alot of :beer: involved.

Took me 6 hrs just to change spark plugs/wires/dist/rotor cap.
Seems like everything I do to the jeep takes about 10 times longer than most folks. You should see me installing floors though,.....fast as lightning!
Jeep is tall--------------you are short--------------- I'll bet if you air the tires down it will save you ladder time:lol:

Back