While people continue to complain...

dr_freeze

Resident of Planet Earth
While people continue to complain about the UNF trail system, there are apparently people and groups out there who do appreciate it.

http://www.off-road.com/blog/2013/03/28/bfgoodrich-tires-announces-2013-outstanding-trails-winners/

While on Dutch John last weekend, I ran across a volunteer group that had just completed the bridge repair at the bottom of the hill. They were standing back, admiring their handiwork, and commented that I was the first one to cross the bridge after the repair. I took time out to talk with them and after seeing their enthusiasm for the bridge repair, the trails, and volunteering in general - I'll do my best to make every workday that I can to help these people, and our common cause. They did an absolutely fantastic job and deserve a pat on the back every time you see them.

Hollow complaints go nowhere. Not to go all patriotic on anyone's ass, but I see it as a small mirror of what is going on in our country now days. If everyone who issued a complaint put in just one day, or even one half day of work to help out, it would be a totally different place than it is today.

I don't have 20+ years of going to URE. I don't have a big history story on how it used to be. In fact, I just started going last year. But in that short time I have picked up my share (plus a few others share) of trash, and done my best to show new folks 'the ropes' and what not to do. I meet and talk to new people on the easy trails and make an attempt to give them a quick education on the land, why it is the way it is, and how to keep it going. I want this resource to continue far into the future for us and for the next generation and I'm willing to help out in whatever way that I can.

I want this trail system to be the best that it can be *for everyone* and I'm willing to up my commitment, physically and financially, in 2013 to see that through. My question is: Are you willing to do the same?

Hope to see you on a work day, only been able to make one myself but the way people worked that day really makes you realize how much they love this sport. Thanks to all that have made it possible and those who keep it going.

Come on out! The work just seems to happen, the friendships made at these work days last forever. Workdays keep growing and it is nice to see what we can get done. The third sat of every month are set work days, if you have a group going on another day I can help set up your own mini work day. Glad to see someone with the right attitude, see you at the work days!!

Every workday there is a lot of work done, the volunteers out there give it there all and are passionate about what there doing.

While people continue to complain about the UNF trail system, there are apparently people and groups out there who do appreciate it.

http://www.off-road.com/blog/2013/03/28/bfgoodrich-tires-announces-2013-outstanding-trails-winners/

While on Dutch John last weekend, I ran across a volunteer group that had just completed the bridge repair at the bottom of the hill. They were standing back, admiring their handiwork, and commented that I was the first one to cross the bridge after the repair. I took time out to talk with them and after seeing their enthusiasm for the bridge repair, the trails, and volunteering in general - I'll do my best to make every workday that I can to help these people, and our common cause. They did an absolutely fantastic job and deserve a pat on the back every time you see them.

Hollow complaints go nowhere. Not to go all patriotic on anyone's ass, but I see it as a small mirror of what is going on in our country now days. If everyone who issued a complaint put in just one day, or even one half day of work to help out, it would be a totally different place than it is today.

I don't have 20+ years of going to URE. I don't have a big history story on how it used to be. In fact, I just started going last year. But in that short time I have picked up my share (plus a few others share) of trash, and done my best to show new folks 'the ropes' and what not to do. I meet and talk to new people on the easy trails and make an attempt to give them a quick education on the land, why it is the way it is, and how to keep it going. I want this resource to continue far into the future for us and for the next generation and I'm willing to help out in whatever way that I can.

I want this trail system to be the best that it can be *for everyone* and I'm willing to up my commitment, physically and financially, in 2013 to see that through. My question is: Are you willing to do the same?

Dr_freeze - I was one of those guys that commented to you. It was my first workday but it definitely won't be my last! I felt great helping to restore the bridge, I reconnected with some old friends & made a bunch of new friends. I had a great time and I'm looking forward to the next workday.

Hey tlucier - I'll definitely see you at the next workday in July. I'll be going out this weekend (the 22nd) too, so if you see me, give me a shout!

Thanks for repairing that bridge. I was part of a group that rebuilt it (if I'm thinking of the same one) a few years ago.

Yep, same bridge. Great post dr freeze and it was good meeting you. Honestly I enjoy the work days about as much as I enjoy wheeling. Work CAN be fun. Hope to see you out there!

I have almost got to that point in life also. Where I would rather work on the trails than wheel them. Granted you get to wheel a bit to work on them.

I wasn't with that particular group that day, I was working on the heavy equipment that was donated for work days. Glad you met some of us and want to help, work days are very important and usually a lot of fun. I just started going this year, since then I have joined Carolina Trail Blazers and I have met so many awesome people that love wheeling as much as me.

Your only as good as the people you choose to be around, so I like hanging with people that are into the same things and the work days are where you meet those people!

Now if only we could attract single hot jeep women to the work days!!! Lol

Back