Which Vehicle To Donate For Forest Service Trail Patrol?

J.C.

Volunteer
Which vehicle would you suggest for the NC4x4 community to donate to the Forest Service for use in patrolling the OHV trails at Uwharrie National Forest?

What modifications would you suggest your vehicle of choice have?

Post your choice and reasoning.

I propose a 1993-2002 Jeep Cherokee with 31"-33" mud tires, front and rear lock rights and a 8000 lb winch.

They are easy to find, in good condition will run for a long time, modifications are fairly cheap and easy, lots of room to stuff the bad guys in the back :)

I would think Cherokee.They are readily available,easy to modify and inexpensive to purchase.I don't know of a trail at URE you can't traverse with a small lift,rear locker,and 33's.Skid plates would also probably be a really good idea,as well as Front and Rear winch bumpers,with winches and recovery points.That way the FS could aid in the the recovery of people who venture onto trails alone.

XJ with 33s

My vote:
XJ on 33" bfg mud
front and rear bumpers with cooler mount and hi lift
winches front and rear with recover points.
Rock sliders and possibly an exo
Light bar with caution lights protected

Very tasteful sticker design with there logos...

An XJ for sure is the way to go.
91-95 is the best years for this IMO.
bastard pack it and shackle, trim fenders, get someone to donate some 3" lift coils and throw a spacer in there.
Hack and Tap
Recovery Gear set, maybe a winch, but a XJ isn't really the best recovery rig from my experience, little too light. If that is the goal here, and it isn't just patroling the forest, I would say step it up to a military surplus K5 or K30 pickup.
Scope out some used steelies, I have a set of 15x10's might could donate.
Get some 33's, mud terrains probably the best. I honestly think this could all be done for under $2000 bucks with ease, especially with sponsors.

whatever it is Id sell advertising space on the vehicle to help fund it....I am sure we have 1 or 2 local companies who would pony up money or material in exchange for some nice stickerage...

but seriously Id suggest a M1008....I bet they could even get it for free....

Military truck sounds lind of cool.

But an xj would probably work fine. Bare minimum..mud tires and rear locker..or build the snot out of it.

M1008 would be free....

It's hard to argue with Free

M1008 should be free since they are government agency.

M1008 come with 4.56 gears, 60/14 bolt axles, I know they are locked in the rear, Ive heard some are also locked in the front, they are great 4x4's and run 36's... Pretty much the perfect vehicle for this, free and would only need regular maintenance handled, and possibly lights, and some recovery gear from our end. Only real downside to the m1008 Ive heard is the 6.2 diesel.

I think a military truck would be nice but an XJ might be a cheaper and easier choice. Most state agencies should be able to "comendeer" another state vehicle from any of the state auction sites. XJ's are plentiful in the state fleet as well.

don't forget about the maintenance part of this, I think an XJ would be more common for finding repair parts. On a side bar, wouldn't having a truck bed be useful for trail maintenance and such? I'd through a vote out for a 90's Toy

M1008 should be free since they are government agency.

M1008 come with 4.56 gears, 60/14 bolt axles, I know they are locked in the rear, Ive heard some are also locked in the front, they are great 4x4's and run 36's... Pretty much the perfect vehicle for this, free and would only need regular maintenance handled, and possibly lights, and some recovery gear from our end. Only real downside to the m1008 Ive heard is the 6.2 diesel.

I can tell you right now that it would not be free. Even though the USFS is a government agency, the military will not just just hand over a truck for free.
Also, every vehicle used by a NC district has to come through the Asheville office. Im not saying a donated jeep has to be inspected and gone through by Asheville technicians, but it might. I strongly urge you all to ask Deborah about this before you start raising money.
Another thing, the Uwharrie district has a kubota side by side and an ATV. The trail capable vehicle isnt the big issue, its affording to pay someone to operate it.

I can tell you that if the gov't donates a vehicle from DOD to another agency it gets to credit the entire purchase price of the vehicle. I know our local VFD got 4 M1008 donated in 04 for FREE

Even if a vehicle is donated, it will not be on the trail every week, maybe not every month. Because of the budget, forest service employees don't work on the weekends much anymore. Would it upset some people to donate money to a vehicle that only gets used one Saturday every two weeks? That is probably the best case scenario of it getting used. Like I said, paying the employees is the limiting factor in trail patrol. There is a reason someone isn't on the ATV or UTV every weekend.

Even if a vehicle is donated, it will not be on the trail every week, maybe not every month. Because of the budget, forest service employees don't work on the weekends much anymore. Would it upset some people to donate money to a vehicle that only gets used one Saturday every two weeks? That is probably the best case scenario of it getting used. Like I said, paying the employees is the limiting factor in trail patrol. There is a reason someone isn't on the ATV or UTV every weekend.

I was going to post this last night, but decided I was tired and would rethink my post, then forgot this morning.

If they dont like riding the ATV around, whats to say they will drive a jeep around? Again I say, Trim the fat, hire 1 guy specifically for trail patrol on the weekends, since that is when they have the heaviest traffic. Make sure this guy has a 4x4 background. Just my view of it.

Also, Nissan, why would they ask for a vehicle repeatedly if they won't use it? You work with them correct?

Also, an M1008 wouldn't need to be modified to do the URE trails unless the person driving was scared of a fullsize rig, and could remain a fleet vehicle.

I was going to post this last night, but decided I was tired and would rethink my post, then forgot this morning.

If they dont like riding the ATV around, whats to say they will drive a jeep around? Again I say, Trim the fat, hire 1 guy specifically for trail patrol on the weekends, since that is when they have the heaviest traffic. Make sure this guy has a 4x4 background. Just my view of it.

Also, Nissan, why would they ask for a vehicle repeatedly if they won't use it? You work with them correct?

Also, an M1008 wouldn't need to be modified to do the URE trails unless the person driving was scared of a fullsize rig, and could remain a fleet vehicle.

I'm not saying it won't be used, I'm saying that it probably won't get used as much as everyone would like to see.

Sounds like they need to hire someone to patrol the weekends. 30 hours a week, 9 am to 7 pm friday, saturday, and sunday. Im sure the position would be paid for with ease by said person charging the people who break laws, and make the rest of us look bad.

Throwing Trash out, $100 fine
Using illegal bypass trails, $100 fine
Wheeling without a pass, $20 dollar fine (Not a terrible fine, don't want to cripple anyone)
Driving on FS roads without Tags/Insurance $100 fine, (I should say, I am not much for this one, but I make due)

Figure he gives out 2 of each every week that they aren't giving out now, and his pay is covered, and the trails are better off.

Still think trimming the fat is the best option, but knowing this is government work, that is unlikely to happen.

Back