Where to buy trailer tires?

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
I sliced a trailer tire today, so now I don't have a spare. Where is the cheapest place to get trailer tires?

Don't skimp on trailer tires. Get something like the maxxis tire. I got mine from rides for a good price.

I agree. You don't replace them often, so just pony up and get a good tire. I've got Maxxis 8008s on my 12k trailer, but I've been thinking that if I ever need to replace them that I might just try LT tires instead of ST. There have been a lot of discussions about it and it seems like half like them and half don't.

I had maxis trailer tires and all 4 failed on me the cords broke in every one exposing side wall bubbles the size of your fist I got some from fire stone 90 bucks installed they have ben good for over a year now

I agree. You don't replace them often, so just pony up and get a good tire. I've got Maxxis 8008s on my 12k trailer, but I've been thinking that if I ever need to replace them that I might just try LT tires instead of ST. There have been a lot of discussions about it and it seems like half like them and half don't.
I've decided I'm going to switch to load range e Lt truck tires next time around on my 14k deck over trailer.

What are the cons of running LT load range E tires on a trailer?

I can't think of any other than the initial buy in of 4 tires/wheels. It's definetly a more popular swap on bigger trailers. If you wanna be a real Baller run 19.5's

235r16s are what we run. The only bitch about them is that the rears are just as likely to pick up nails, and you're out $150 if it can't be plugged. I've been lucky so far, but it's only a matter of time.

I check the tire pressure every time before we roll out, and try to do it once or twice on long trips.

Looked at 17.5s at one point, but didn't go through with it. Part of the reason was that most of the wheels are designed for 5/8" studs and flat nuts. There are a couple of places that sell them set up for 9/16" studs and conical nuts, but the drums I bought a while back came with 1/2" studs, and I didn't want to have to change those out too.

That's what mine has on it, 235/80-16s I believe. I'm definitely a stickler for tire pressure too, I check it every time I use the trailer! Nothing will kill a tire faster than heat. Unless you shoot it, that's pretty fast too. Like....with an Apache helicopter or something.

I bought mine at Colfax Trailer

I just bought 4 at taylor tire in greensboro. Where $89 tire for a good tire, they had a cheaper one but i dont skimp on tires.....

Don't skimp on trailer tires. Get something like the maxxis tire. I got mine from rides for a good price.

X2. Brandon got me maxxis tires for the same price that everyone else wanted for the cheap china tires. Maxxis tires are by far the best 15" trailer tire on the market. Any larger trailer that I have has lt tires on it. I keep new one's on the truck and rotate them to the trailer.

Is there such a thing as good quality 14.5" trailer tires? If so I need to buy some.

What kind of Milage are you guys getting out of your tires?
I bought tires 2 years ago. Drove from Jacksonville NC to Daytona and back and to the Gulches 3 times and my insides of the tiers are bald. I know the trailer is heavy but thats not very many miles. Of course these are only a load range C tire as that was all they had when i was setting on side of the road.

What size/brand of tires? I won't run a Carlisle or anything bias ply. They'll cup and wear on the inside in a heartbeat.

What kind of Milage are you guys getting out of your tires?
I bought tires 2 years ago. Drove from Jacksonville NC to Daytona and back and to the Gulches 3 times and my insides of the tiers are bald. I know the trailer is heavy but thats not very many miles. Of course these are only a load range C tire as that was all they had when i was setting on side of the road.

With the trailer loaded take a good hard look at the camber on the wheels. I see lots of trailers on the road that are overloaded or cheaply built that the axles are bowed and the tires are tilted inward at the top, causing the tire to wear excessively on the inside. If the axles are bowed, it may be time for replacement or an upgrade. I usually only buy Carlisle trailer tires from Discount Tire and have had nothing but good success out of them, but I keep them properly inflated and my trailers have always been in good repair and not overloaded. Or maybe I am lucky. I go with the former.

@snappy I called Taylor tire this week and they were one of the most expensive around. The one I called was near/on cone Blvd I think. Is that the right place.

Back