Where in Croatan is Jeep Friendly?

TTTE

I was thinking about taking the wife and kid here to camp if they allow Jeeps to ride trails. Are there any campsites near trails/trailheads that allow this? What about night riding? I keep finding vague info at other sites/posts. Thanks.

I haven't been out there in years(while I was at Camp Lejuene) If you are into deep water , loose sand, it is allright. There is not that much that I remember for ohv use. Honestly you might want to head to ure instead.

yea man...in another hours(or less) drive time you can be in UNF from here.I've never been to Croatan but have also heard conflicting reports as to what is drivable or not.I ain't never been skeered of mud or water but don't want to wind up in the wrong spot.

To my knowledge, other than the area near Great Lake, none of it is legal. Also, that one, small area is only for atv/dirtbike use. It really sucks because I live in the middle of it, know all of the back roads, and can't wheel any of it. That may be a good thing though....it's some of the most unforgiving terrain I've ever seen!

To my knowledge, other than the area near Great Lake, none of it is legal. Also, that one, small area is only for atv/dirtbike use. It really sucks because I live in the middle of it, know all of the back roads, and can't wheel any of it. That may be a good thing though....it's some of the most unforgiving terrain I've ever seen!

X2- There are no legal trails in the Croatan other than Great Lake and as the Kid stated: only open to atvs and dirtbikes. Go to Uwarrie and have some good fun !

Years ago a buddy of mine got stuck out there so bad that it took 3 wreckers and 2 days to get him out. Burned up 2 winches trying to get him out. This was less than 100 yards off of the road to Catfish Lake.

The mud stained the soft top of the Jeep, stained the paint, and I lost a ton of time and gas at that place not to mention a favorite jacket in one of the damn mud holes. I'll never go back. Stay away! :lol:

I've made many resuces and many dollars back there. I always promise I'll never call the game wardens, but somehow they're always waiting on the way out :D

Wow lol! Thanks. Is there a specific spot to go at URE? I keep seeing brief discriptions of all the trails there. Whats the best location to make camp there? IYO of course...

there are maps all over the place for Uwharrie. Purchase one at the Eldorado Outpost or search online here. I think someone put together a map that is focused more to 4x4s and is current and fairly accurate.

hmmm,you up to going to UNF weekend after next?Was thinking of going for a work weekend but there will be others there riding the trails.Are you looking to camp primitive or in a paid camp ground?

Back