When life gives you Mazda Tribute... Samurai Lemonade

ProbablyBroke

does not torque to spec
Long story short: my uncle wanted this Mazda Tribute out of his driveway because it was never going to pass inspection without some work. I cleaned it up, took some pics, and posted it for sale or trade.
image.jpeg
I have no use for a 2wd, teenage girl suv, so I made a deal with a feller off craigslist to trade for 1988 Samurai.

I already have an '82 Toyota buggy, but wanted something small and low that I could bang around in the woods with, and take to the trails when the Toyota is out of commission. The appeal of being able to fit it in the back of my f250 was also a factor.

image.png

Anyway, motor smokes, a little rust here and there, sweet exhaust leak straight to the cab, stock spring SPOA, very sketchy front winch bumper, open diffs, no functioning gauges, ATF in the gearbox. But it was free, and a whole lot more satisfying than a Mazda Tribute.

This won't be much of a build, but rather an UNfawkin of previous owner neglect, a display of very amateur mechanic and fab skills, all while keeping most of my budget for my Toyota. So expect lots of half ass, and black Rustoleum.

It's inevitable that something else will be going in to replace the 1.3. Currently running 90psi on all cyl. :) Right now, just want to make it fun to beat on before I start planning a motor swap.

I already have an '82 Toyota buggy, but wanted something small and low that I could bang around in the woods with, and take to the trails when the Toyota is out of commission.

That is how it starts. 11 years later, my cab truck is gone and the Samurai has been my primary wheeler for the past several years.

Been battling samurai third member gremlins for the past week. Got the mini spool installed for the rear. Bought a Spartan for the front but realized it wasn't going to work unless I dropped another 350$ on 26 spline chromo shafts. So returning it, and picked up a discontinued LockRight with 22 spline couplers on eBay. Hopefully the smokey hamster under the hood will be just under powered enough to keep the stock shafts in tact.

Grabbed some yj springs from the nicest African fella in Kings Mountain. Those will have to wait until April. Hope to have a wheelable beater by this weekend.

Back