Whats it worth 98 Suburban

DUH-HUH

Whats it worth? This is my fathers truck and he is tired of messing with it.

1998 Chevy Suburban 1500 4wd around 203k miles have owned since around 2000 purchased with around 50k. Truck is clean with cold A/C.

ISSUES:
-Check engine light comes on when under a load and shakes when speeds hit around 65 mph. I believe its a cylinder 4 misfire. Will go off on its own after driving it for a while. Never had issues with it pass inspection as long as you don't do 65 on the way to the inspection shop.
-ABS light is now on all the time now.
-Sometimes the security light comes on

Have replaced all injectors, spark plugs, dis cap, rotor and wires, oxygen sensor fuel pump, fuel pressure control module, water pump and belt, starter.

Truck doesn't get driven much because of the issues. Really only used to run to Home Depot and around town. Its been a secondary vehicle for for the last 5ish years

good looking truck, I would like to see a compression test to figure out how far down the rabbit hole you have to go to fix the misfire. with a clean bill of health I would say $3k to the right buyer, without ~$1,300 or less.....but I am always leary of buying high mileage burbs without a recent trans rebuild (that 4l60 is probably on borrowed time, in my experience)

Finally found the sheet with the compression numbers from a couple of months ago when I checked it
Cylinder #
1 185
2 190
3 180
4 176
5 185
6 185
7 188
8 193

For what it’s worth, @Nakoma has one like that and I swear that dude drivers that thing EVERYWHERE.

The ABS light is a bunch of fatigued solder joints inside the control module most likely. Very well known problem with those years, assuming all of your wheel sensors are functional. There are companies that will rework the module and reflow the solder joints. You can also DIY depending on skills.

The intermittant security light is probably the hall switch in the column. I worked on one like that. It turned out to be easier to buy the NewRockies bypass module and install it than mess with the ignition switch.

Heads were bad to crack in those models. Make sure the cat isn't clogged, the exhaust at the tail pipe will be very hot if it is. If it is then either gut the cat or replace. And you can always pour Seafoam into the vacuum system to clean out the carbon! :D

Back