Whatcha know about Miami and the Keys

obullfish

Carolina Trail Blazers
Long story short 20th wedding anniversary at the end of the month and wanted to go somewhere warm. Got some friends working at a state park in Miami that we are going to go see on our trip as well. Staying in Sunny Isles beach in a condo and planning to venture into the keys a few days. Anything you guys recommend to see and do?

No one ever warned me about Key West when we rode motorcycles down there in 2003.

I never knew it was the east coast version of San Francisco. We rolled in after midnight, and went straight to the hotel. The next morning we hop up for a ride and eat breakfast. The first person we saw walking on the sidewalk was in fishnets, high heels, coochie cutter jean shorts and a crop top. They weighed about 70 pounds and were 6ft walking a chihuahua. Got closer, realized it was a DUDE. Things went slowly downhill from there.
We planned to stay a few days. Yeah...we left after we took pics at the southern most bouy. Went back to Daytona where Brian got frisky with some lesbians

nub.jpg

riding02.jpg

robin04.jpg

No one ever warned me about Key West when we rode motorcycles down there in 2003.

I never knew it was the east coast version of San Francisco. We rolled in after midnight, and went straight to the hotel. The next morning we hop up for a ride and eat breakfast. The first person we saw walking on the sidewalk was in fishnets, high heels, coochie cutter jean shorts and a crop top. They weighed about 70 pounds and were 6ft walking a chihuahua. Got closer, realized it was a DUDE. Things went slowly downhill from there.
We planned to stay a few days. Yeah...we left after we took pics at the southern most bouy. Went back to Daytona where Brian got frisky with some lesbians

View attachment 310129

View attachment 310130

View attachment 310131
Don’t need info on Key West as I’ve been there a few times and not into partying these days. Talking about the rest of the Keys an south FL.

Going down to Marathon for a few days (while seeing family in other parts of FL the rest of the week). In for any good suggestions as well.

The Everglades was pretty cool when I went. Went to a alligator park of some sorts. Maybe the one Joe Dirt worked at. we went in a air boat ride through the Everglades that was fun.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Spend the night at Fort Jefferson if you're into camping, it's very cool.

I remember BSing and singing all night with some cuban imigrants around the buoy.

I also met some cool offroaders from PA because I was wearing my Madram11 hoodie.

Love Key West.

The butterfly sanctuary in Key West was cool, if you are into that sort of thing.

spent a week in Marathon 2 years ago but we were mostly out on the boat fishing when we weren’t drinking by the pool.

there is good diving down there, too.

The butterfly sanctuary in Key West was cool, if you are into that sort of thing.

spent a week in Marathon 2 years ago but we were mostly out on the boat fishing when we weren’t drinking by the pool.

there is good diving down there, too.
We are gonna do some snorkeling but don’t wanna haul diving gear down for this trip. The wife would probably enjoy the butterflies, she’s big into photography of that kinda shit.

Loved the drive, hated the town...was kinda surprised like Troy. When I'm down there, I spend most my time in Islamorada on a beach right off my bungalow. Beyond that, the wife always likes going to Theater of the Sea and swimming with different animals (the earlier in the day you book, the better). I always thought the Hemingway house was cool. The wife likes hunting down Key Deer...no wonder those things are endangered, can't go anywhere without one darting in front of your car. The wife also always likes hitting up Blue Heaven and No Name pub. I personally feel like they're a little touristy/gimmicky...but she likes them.

Unfortunately all I know about them is that you can get hammered on all of them. I don't think I've ever been there sober and if I was it wasn't for long.

I don't know why I just thought of this movie....

Loved the drive, hated the town...was kinda surprised like Troy. When I'm down there, I spend most my time in Islamorada on a beach right off my bungalow. Beyond that, the wife always likes going to Theater of the Sea and swimming with different animals (the earlier in the day you book, the better). I always thought the Hemingway house was cool. The wife likes hunting down Key Deer...no wonder those things are endangered, can't go anywhere without one darting in front of your car. The wife also always likes hitting up Blue Heaven and No Name pub. I personally feel like they're a little touristy/gimmicky...but she likes them.

My sis in law was a waiter @ blue heaven for a few years while her boyfriend remodeled the chefs house.I thought the food was pretty good when we ate there a few times.Watching the sundown was nice every evening and drinking and riding bikes to and from the bars.There were so many foreign tourists there It was like being in a foreign country sometimes.

Unfortunately all I know about them is that you can get hammered on all of them. I don't think I've ever been there sober and if I was it wasn't for long.
Yeah that’s why I’m asking cause I was the same back in the day. Been on 5 detachments down in the Keys when I was in the military and don’t remember anything other than a few bars.

It’s worth taking a float plane or boat to the Dry Tortugas fort. One of the coolest places I’ve ever been or seen.

X2. Can’t believe I forgot about this. It’s a good day trip. If you have time, you can camp on the island but you have to reserve it ahead of time and it’s primitive. But after the day visit folks leave, you have the entire fort to yourself.

Eat as much churrasco, maduros (fried plantains), Cuban coffee, and flan as you can while you're in the Miami area. And mix it up with some Peruvian ceviche, if you ever bored of churrasco (won't happen).

....or maybe that's just what I like to do while I'm in Miami. :D

Last time I was in Key West the family went out to eat and had sea turtle steak and key lime pie.

Too young to drink, old enough for jail. Did you get to smoke in there?

Last time I was in Key West I found out they love public underage drinkers. Treated me free room and board in the southernmost jail in the continental USA. I did have to pick up trash on the beach the next day.
My first deployment down there I was almost hauled off to jail for underage drinking then they found out I was military and called the duty officer to get my drunk 18 year old ass. Thank goodness I was buddies with the Lt. that was duty that night.

Back