What Sticky to buy

just a sami guy

I'm looking for a set of 40in sticky.
What u guys think the best for KY and TN wheeling?
I really like the new Mickey thompson Sticky but I know REDS are great.

Thanks

Reds.

I have a set and was the best upgrade I’ve ever done when I got them.

After wheeling with the others on friends rigs for a couple years (sx’s, Mickey’s, treps) I had convinced myself to sell them and try a set of sx’s.

Then after this weekend, I’m completely convinced I’m keeping my reds haha. I’ll wear these out, and then figure out either to replace with the same, or spend and upgrade to 42” reds, or whatever is the hot ticket at that time.

Followed around mostly sx’s, Mickey’s, 42” reds this weekend, and pulled off some ridiculous stuff. I was following other rigs that are far more capable than mine.

After talking with others around the fire after the wheeling was over, I’ll stick with my reds.

I can’t find a situation that they don’t work in.

X2 on reds, I just wish they weren't so dang expensive. I have had several sets on rigs in the past, but now I'm lucky to get out once a year. Just can't justify the cost now.

X2 on reds, I just wish they weren't so dang expensive. I have had several sets on rigs in the past, but now I'm lucky to get out once a year. Just can't justify the cost now.

Haven’t gotten a recent price on reds,

40” irok stickies $540
43” sx stickies. $690
43” Mickey’s $730
42” reds $850ish?

39” Reds should be $600ish. Due to price increases.

Reds if you can keep the sidewalls together.

I know I can't.

Performance wise the 42s are untouchable IMO, but dang if the 20" wheels are expensive and the sidewalls are weak.

So Ive been out of the scene for a bit...what happened to Treps?
They were the clear answer 5-6 years ago

Reds and Treps are still the top choice IMO. I'm eager to see/hear some reviews on the new 39.5 Irok sticky. With my Sami buggy being hopefully decently light and wanting to stick with 37's since I'm on Yota axles, I chose Reds.

For a lightweight rig on 37's, the Reds are better than Treps IMO. I ran 37" Treps on my Honda buggy and I only kept valve stems in the tires to keep the water in the front tires and dirt & water out of the rear tires. Super stiff sidewalls on the 37" Treps.

When you get into 40"+ and 3000lbs+ then Treps and Reds are both good options. But I've only got experience with the 37's.

Reds and Treps are still the top choice IMO. I'm eager to see/hear some reviews on the new 39.5 Irok sticky. With my Sami buggy being hopefully decently light and wanting to stick with 37's since I'm on Yota axles, I chose Reds.

For a lightweight rig on 37's, the Reds are better than Treps IMO. I ran 37" Treps on my Honda buggy and I only kept valve stems in the tires to keep the water in the front tires and dirt & water out of the rear tires. Super stiff sidewalls on the 37" Treps.

When you get into 40"+ and 3000lbs+ then Treps and Reds are both good options. But I've only got experience with the 37's.
I had 37 traps on my buggy and it was decently light. V6, steering yota axles, etc...and they flexed decently at 7-8 psi ...the sidealls were stiffer than reds for sure...but I'm also never cut a sidewall

I have had zero sidewall issues but I run my reds at 10 psi to keep from pinching a sidewall when hitting ledges.

I’ve driven the rear sidewall into the corners of sharp stuff and nothing.

I choose reds bc treps need less psi, and I like keeping the slightly taller radius with higher psi on my 4600 lbs ish YJ

You really can’t go wrong with any of the major contenders.

Reds, treps, SX’s, iroks, Mickey’s, they are all good options. This is one of those hot bed questions that will never get a single answer haha.

Different trails and different rigs will all have an opinion, and are likely all correct.

I wish maxxis still put out sticky creepy crawlers. They were THE best. Haha.

Last edited:
Cast my vote for Treps, since I’ve personally ran them and felt them do some amazing work. TSLs are great too. I will say the 37” Treps I ran with 85% tread measured small at 8-10psi, like 34.5-35”

I want to bash reds but I know that my opinion isn’t fair. The set I’ve been around a few times were always ran at 20+psi and I think that’s why they seemed unimpressive to say the least.

@Mac5005 is no rookie and if he says they work amazing I wouldn’t take that opinion lightly. My friend is just an idiot and just backs off the trailer and doesn’t check the psi before wheeling twice a year. I’ll give credit where it’s due, by the end of the trip when I kept ragging him about how much they sucked I finally asked how much air was in them and he said he didn’t know, they were just pumped up from running around his land from time to time. Turned out to have way too much air, once we aired them down they worked great.

Reds if you can keep the sidewalls together.

I know I can't.

Performance wise the 42s are untouchable IMO, but dang if the 20" wheels are expensive and the sidewalls are weak.

That is an interesting statement. Did BFG change the compound for the 42? I recall years ago the 42s werent near as good as the 39s.

That is an interesting statement. Did BFG change the compound for the 42? I recall years ago the 42s werent near as good as the 39s.

Compound is the same between the 39/42 red.

The carcass is what’s different between the two.

The 42” red is built off the 42” desert carcass which is substantially stiffer sidewall build compared to the 39”. This is why it’s a 20” vs 17”

The 42/17 combo in the desert tire testing had too much squirm. Plus the 20” whee opened up better options for the brake and uprights on the bigger Trophy trucks that it was designed for.

This is why the 42” red is and only will ever be for 20”. BFG isn’t going to invest on 42’s for 17’s bc it would be a whole new build. It would be using same carcass for multiple tires.

The market potential for 42/17 isn’t there compared to what the desert guys spend.

Last edited:
Compound is the same between the 39/42 red.

The carcass is what’s different between the two.

The 42” red is built off the 42” desert carcass which is substantially stiffer sidewall build compared to the 39”. This is why it’s a 20” vs 17”

The 42/17 combo in the desert tire testing had too much squirm. Plus the 20” whee opened up better options for the brake and uprights on the bigger Trophy trucks that it was designed for.

This is why the 42” red is and only will ever be for 20”. BFG isn’t going to invest on 42’s for 17’s bc it would be a whole new build. It would be using same carcass for multiple tires.

The market potential for 42/17 isn’t there compared to why the desert guys spend.

Gotcha. I always liked the 42/20 size combo, but heard alot of trash talk about it in the past.

Another option noone has mentioned, is the 40" MegaSX. Not sure how it compares to the rest, but is in the size range you are looking.

Gotcha. I always liked the 42/20 size combo, but heard alot of trash talk about it in the past.

Another option noone has mentioned, is the 40" MegaSX. Not sure how it compares to the rest, but is in the size range you are looking.

I’d run the 42’s in heartbeat, if they didn’t cost 2x as much when comparing tires and wheels.

17’s are $180-$275 ea
20’s are $425-$600 ea. Oooof.

I have had zero sidewall issues but I run my reds at 10 psi to keep from pinching a sidewall when hitting ledges.

Maybe you and I don't drive the same way.
I have a unique patented "drive by braille" system that kills sidewalls

Even SXs aren't safe... :sniper:

I’d run the 42’s in heartbeat, if they didn’t cost 2x as much when comparing tires and wheels.

17’s are $180-$275 ea
20’s are $425-$600 ea. Oooof.

Could run a factory or cheap aftermarket aluminum wheel with InnerAirlocks. All the Bros are ditching them for 22-26s.

The issue I’ve seen from inner air locks is with enough side load they’ll still burp the bead and let air out, as well and sticks and stuff getting shoved in. They work, but nearly as well and a traditional beadlock.

The issue I’ve seen from inner air locks is with enough side load they’ll still burp the bead and let air out, as well and sticks and stuff getting shoved in. They work, but nearly as well and a traditional beadlock.
I have chunks of wood in one of my H1's right now. Showed up after the WWW. Happens every year it seems at least once. I want to go stickies but I'm not sure how much it would help my fat pig of a jeep. LOL!

3d078c47048557d98e02fdeab65831be.jpg

I’ll get pics beside the reds also. Just for thread entertainment.

Back