What should i do first to my ZJ?

Keith1138

I have started getting into wheeling through my sister fiance. I own a 97 ZJ 4wd its the only vehicle i own. I would like to start modifying it slowly to make it into a wheeling rig. I am wondering what should i do first and the most economical way to do so? I also want to keep it street legal.

Budget boost lift kit ($200ish?)

Some good 31" tires

Rock sliders/rocker protection to keep your rockers and doors in good shape if you bottom out.

This is a good start. Then you can focus on a front bumper, winch, rear bumper, at least one locker, and then maybe a 4" lift and 33s.

That's personally what I would do first, and in that order.

Also be ready for an addiction to take over. High possibility of yourself wanting a wrangler fully built and a tow rig and trips to KY, TN and so on in the near future!

That's a good start, but if you get serious look at a Toyota! :flipoff2:

This sport/hobby is fun and addictive. The best advice I could give is to be content with what you have. Then get out on the trails, operate properly and be safe.

well said by both ^^^^

First thing... BUY a TOOL kit. Keep it in your vehicle at all times. Buy a small gas can and a tow strap.

A big led light bar
Bolt a shovel to the roof rack.
Hang a chain on the front bumper
Get a tow strap from autozone with metal hooks
Roll all the windows down and hit the biggest mudhole you can find!

A big led light bar
Bolt a shovel to the roof rack.
Hang a chain on the front bumper
Get a tow strap from autozone with metal hooks
Roll all the windows down and hit the biggest mudhole you can find!
Da truth from a Jedi Master ^^^^^^^^^
:rockon:

I would start with a body lift and some 20" wheels, then in addition to the shovel, get a color matching hi lift for the roof as well. :D

On a serious note, start with a 2" budget boost (BB) and some 31s and trim the front bumper cover so the tires don't rub. Invest in some rocker protection. Get some front tow points, best solution is a Kevin's Offroad (KOR) radiator support. If you don't have a hitch in the rear, put one on. With these mods you now have recovery points so when (not if, but when) you get stuck, some one can pull you out. Do some reading on NAGCA.com for some good ZJ specific items.

Get a set of 4" lift springs for the front
Put the factory front springs in the rear.
Rough country shocks for a 4 " lift
Rough country sway bar disconnect kit.
Install a jks front track bar
I have a rear trackbar relocation bracket ill give ya if you pay shipping . Invest in rock sliders and as BigClay said get some tow points because we will hook to whatever is easy when your being a trail tampon.
Look into doing an 8.8 axle swap in the rear because that is the first thing thats going to leave you hanging.
Do you happen to know what transfer case it has? If its a np249 get rid of that also. If it has a np242 keep it.
I wheeled a very capable zj for a long time and picked up on what works well on them and what sucks about them.

Buy a strap with no hooks , make. Sure you have a front and rear tow point that is safe to use.
Go on tread lightlys website and read up on offroad manners.

Go learn to drive it off road stock....

That is the first thing you do.

Then youll want rock sliders

Is it the 4.0 or the 5.2? What options on the transfer case do you have? The answer to these questions will let us know what rear axle you have and what transfer case. These can be weak link/problem areas depending on what you have.

It is a V6 4.0. it has a danna 30 in the front and a danna 35 in the rear.
the build sheet is below
BAUS 117 Amp Alternator
BCES 600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BRGS Anti-Lock 4-Wheel-Disc Brakes
CACS Low Back Bucket Seats
CFNS Rear 60/40 Folding Seat
CGWS Driver & Front Passengern Air Bags
CKDS Floor Carpet
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKRS Cargo Net
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats
CSAS Spare Tire Cover
CSCS Cargo Compartment Cover
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
CUNP Overhead Console
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGKS 4-Spd. Automatic 42RE Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHPP Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System
DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRJP 175MM Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
ERH 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEGP Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
GEP Flipper Liftgate Glass
GFAS Rear Window Defroster
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GNCS Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GRNP Left Power Fold-Away Mirror
GSNP Right Power Fold-Away Mirror
GTNS Power Mirrors, Fold-Away
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
GXMS Keyless Entry with Panic Alarm
HAAP Air Conditioning
HGAS Hood Insulation
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group
JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JKAS Glove Box
JPAS Power Windows
JPBS Power Locks
LACS Illuminated Entry
LAGS Warning Chime
LBBS Courtesy Lamps
LBCS Glove Box Lamp
LBDS Ash Tray Lamp
LDAS Underhood Lamp
LDBS Cargo Compartment Lamp
LETP Traveler/Mini Trip Computer
LMBS Halogen Headlamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
MFZP Bright Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MWGS Roof Rack
NAE California Emissions
NBTP Transitory Low Emission Veh (TLEV)
NHMS Speed Control
PFA Prairie Pearl Coat
QFAS Prairie Pearl Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RASS AM/FM Cassette Radio
RCDS 4 Speakers
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCVS Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SDAS Normal Duty Suspension
SUAS Tilt Steering Column
TBGS Compact Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire

1st- a means of recovering yourself/solid recovery points if stuck
2nd- skid plates
3rd- traction aiding devices/ drivestrain upgrades
4th- lift/ suspension upgrades

IMO- no need to make it so capable that you get yourself in a predicament that you can't get yourself out of.

I have the tow strap and tool kit that is something i carry all the time since i started driving.

First off it is an inline 6 not a V ;)

The D35 rear axle will be the first think that you break. I broke mine one time backing out of my driveway... I am not sure which t-case the "Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System" is, do you have the ability to put it in 2wd? If you don't then you have the 249 and the Vicious Coupler (VC) will be the second thing that you will have problems with.

I think the guy can keep it simple for now. Might be a bit overwhelming for a newbie to hear he needs and axle swap, Tcase swap and so on.

Remember, he's just starting out. Small lift, slightly larger tires, rocker protection and tow points can get this feller on the trail and having fun while he learns about other upgrades.

Okay i have an OEM hitch that was installed about a year ago on the rear. When you say a small lift how tall? 2inch Budget lift?. Besides rock rails and skid plates any other rocker protection? Wheres the best place to get those items?

Budget boost would be the best start. There are a few very reputable folks on here that could probably build you some rock rails cheaper than you can buy. Hopefully they will speak up. I'm thinking @ol'Jeeps does that.

Good rock rails will protect your rockers/doors and be all you need for rocker protection. I've never owned a jeep without rock rails, it's a must have for me. I really use them more than anything.

I would also get an upgraded Tie rod. One could be had from Rustys for $100, or you can do a WJ knuckle and steering swap. This would be stronger, full cross over steering that would handle better on the road and trail, and bigger brakes. Plenty of write ups online about this common swap.

Keep a watch on our "parts for sale" you should be able to pick up some stuff to get started from people that are feeding their addiction.
Take it wheeling a few times and see where you are lacking and build from there. My opinion first thing should be a winch...

Okay i have an OEM hitch that was installed about a year ago on the rear. When you say a small lift how tall? 2inch Budget lift?. Besides rock rails and skid plates any other rocker protection? Wheres the best place to get those items?
Post that up in the vendor and shop referrals section and then the vendors can respond with some quotes and get you on the right track.

Take it wheeling a few times and see where you are lacking and build from there.

While no one has given bad advice here (well...) /\/\/\/\/\ THIS (to me) is the most valuable advice. Your grand is likely more capable than you at this point. No need to start shoveling money at it if you go a few times in your own rig, and then don't really LIKE it, or maybe get spooked, or who knows.

Point is, it's better to advance your skills along with the pace of your vehicle. I made the mistake of building my old bronco up faster than I grew my skills and I created a vehicle that was a nightmare to try and drive on the street. At the TIME my access to off-roading was limited (time factor) so I ended up with a vehicle that was built for offroad, but stayed on-road and handled like a hippo on stilts. Eventually I sold it because of it's terrible street manors.

If I had it to do over again.........wait...I DID! And I'm MUCH happier with the outcome.

If you're going to go out with friends/inlaws whatever, then you should be pretty safe as long as you've got recovery gear between you. Get a little braver, try a few more difficult things, and build your rig according to what your needs/skills require and not what other people TELL you that you need. You're the one having fun! Keep it fun!

Back