What MODS and have they HELPED??

DOUGHBOYDD2500HD said:
lets see pics of veryones diesel and What mods you have done!!!!

I started the "mods" with a complete fluid/filter change stem to stern. Added some new Xplod door speaks, a POS AL toolbox from my pappy, a FORD plate on the front, a vintage IH logo on the tailgate, and have got some mud on the tires. :flipoff2:

Attachments

• uglytruck.jpg
    uglytruck.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 331
Alright I am jumping in to the Allison discussion.
And before I start, I have no diesel at this time, have had a CTD (Loved it, no problems) a 7.2 PS (same,no problems) a 6.0PS(too many problems to list... motor finally replaced at 33k truck left at 36K) and an old school chevy pretend diesel 6.2.

I had been in the market for a new 2500HD until early this year (Jan-Feb) when my next door neighbor updated his fleet (he owns an industrial HVAC/Mechanical company)with 2500 Duramax/Allsions. Now granted most of his truck tow EVERY day and are driven by guys who don't pay for them or give a shit about em. BUT of the 9 trucks he bought over those 6 weeks 4!!! have had transmissions repaired or completely replaced!
Brian has asked that I not name the company or dealrship that he has been working with due to possible future litigation over lost company time and earnings etc...
I have heard nothing but praises from EVERYONE else on the Allisons but I want to give everyobne who is considering one at least food for thought.

Interstingly enough, everyone has went out the same odd way. WHile driving they will feel as if they are "slipping occasionally" then the next time they are shut off. When they are started back up they will not go!

I've played with and even rebuilt an auto or 2 but have no where near enough technical knowledge to explain the correlation here, just find it note worthy.

Not saying that it isn't possible, but for the same company to be having the same issue with multiple trucks, could indicate that maybe something isn't right with the use of the vehicle. ( possibly not big enough for the load maybe )

It is possible the repair facility is mis-diagnosing the failures as well. Most GM dealerships are not authorized Allison shops (nor am I).

I have yet to see an Allison 1000 fail to the point it needs to be replaced, there were a few in '04 that had issues with the valve bodies, and there is a TSB about fluid drainback from the converter when sitting over night on some of the 03-04 models. (would result in not moving right after startup) requiring pump replacment, I've seen a few failures of the PRNDL switch (aka NSBU) on the side of the trans, which tells the TCM what position the shift selector is in. Some of these could result in not moving or funky, irratic shifting.

I have seen a few of the 4500/5500 trucks blow out a trans cooler line from the trans, emptying the trans and stop moving. But even these, repair the line and fittings, fill them back up with DEX3 and they move on down the road with no issues. ( Same engine/trans as in the 2500/3500 truck, mount positions are different, some programing differances )

I'd be curious at what mileage and what sort of loads they were pulling. Not to mention how the drivers were hammering on them.

Kevin

yager said:
patiently waiting for an adapter kit to put an allison 1000 in my ford....

The hard parts are probaly availble. I don't know for sure on the P/S. My dad has been working on a project for about a year. He has put a Cummins ISB behind an allison 1000 in his moter home. And yes I said Cummins behind the allison, Its a pusher. The problem he had was with the operating systems. At first he bought a wrecked 99 Dodge with 90k on it for the engine. The prob. was the Dodge operating sytem would not work with the allison. He then found a 95 cummins 5.9 ISB out of a small dump truck with 3 miles on it. This had a the cummins operating system and allison cuold program the trans to work with this. He has it running and moving and is taking all 16K lbs of it to the allison dealer tomaro to have it progamed and all of his wireing wrong out. By the way anybody need a 24valve cummins with wireing, computor, most of the acc. with 90K on he has one that he needs to part with.

Back