What MODS and have they HELPED??

DOUGHBOYDD2500HD

I was wondering what kind of tow rig everyone has. I was also wondering if you have done any modifications and if so how have they helped? What did you get out of them. I have a friend that is a DIESEL DEALER and can get good prices on stuff. I wonder what the best mods are to do to your rigs? What would you like to do? Thanks. ANY PICS?

KRAWLER

DOUGHBOYDD2500HD said:
I was wondering what kind of tow rig everyone has. I was also wondering if you have done any modifications and if so how have they helped? What did you get out of them. I have a friend that is a DIESEL DEALER and can get good prices on stuff. I wonder what the best mods are to do to your rigs? What would you like to do? Thanks. ANY PICS?

KRAWLER

How about some SplitFire triple platinum spark plugs? :flipoff2:

I've heard that Diesel fuel "fogging" into the intake air tube will greatly improve power and torque, last time I saw it used, the truck ran away with the top speed of the night.

Is a new technique for fast power and is pretty cheap, off the shelf parts can be used. PM me for details.

Kevin

Actually that is very dangerous,, Have you ever heard of a run-away diesel? It's not a pretty thing. Instead why not upgrade the Proper way. Bigger injectors, turbo's, chips Etc. You can Fog the intake with water/meth injection which lowers EGT's and cools the Charge air. I have an 01.5 HO cummins with an AFE intake, Superchips tuner, Straight piped, Waiting on injectors and a FASS

mods

The question is,"How much is enough?". Most don't know where that line is.

I have an '03 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab with Duramx/Ally drivetrain. I have made 3 modifications to the stock setup. Two of these have helped.

1. Brake controller, "Prodigy" helps with stopping when pulling trailer.
2. Bed liner (has nothing to do with towing capacity).
3. Tonneau cover, "Access" for improved gas mileage and to be different than the "contractor with toolbox" look. I like it because I can quickly roll it up to load up the bed and then quickly roll it back after unloading.

I would not change anything else. Don't have to since 300+ Hp and 500+ ft-lbs of torque is enough to keep me happy.

I also opted to keep the factory E-rated tires to mantain the towing capacity of the truck.

You can add Juice and all that to boost the Hp/Torque ratings and smoke your tires, etc if you want to. I remember when I had my Mustang GT, it was cool to a point to smoke the tires until you go to buy new ones at $200 a piece. Whatever floats your boat.

Careful, the whole diesel performance thing is highly addictive and almost as expensive as my jeep habit. You're okay if you are "just" going to put a chip and some guages in. Guages should be your first mod. You have to be especially careful of EGTs. But when you are lined up at the tree, tachin 2200, buildin 25psi of boost, and rollin some smoke, in 4-hi, there is no turning back. Good luck with it, but you might just get sucked in. There are some damn fast duramaxes out there right now.

etjeep said:
I would not change anything else. Don't have to since 300+ Hp and 500+ ft-lbs of torque is enough to keep me happy.

at the flywheel on its best day.......get it dynod....youll be nowhere near those specs. you 'may' have 150 to the wheels and thats be generous.

Have you priced the transmission upgrades required to reliably support that kind of power, day in, day out? It really doesn't matter what brand of truck you drive.. if you've got an auto, your tranny is near its limit in stock form. If you've got a stick, your clutch is about the same, too.

Guys that never tow can get away for a little while... but when towing.. ya feelin' lucky?

Your question is loaded anyway - each rig responds differently to different mods. I doubt your duramax would care for a governor spring kit like my CTD does.. ;)

Any diesel, however, will respond in a dramatic manner, to fogging the intake... but motor oil can be used too! :D

StudNuts said:
at the flywheel on its best day.......get it dynod....youll be nowhere near those specs. you 'may' have 150 to the wheels and thats be generous.

Come on man, Im not a big duramax fan or anything but dont you think that 50% drivetrain loss is a little extreme. There is no way its only putting 150 to the ground. Please show me a dyno chart proving that.

StudNuts said:

Nuts,
I don't get all jacked over the numbers. If you're talking stock rwhp its around 240. I am impressed by the performance not the numbers for numbers sake.

As far as I can tell the sky is the limit with aftermarket exhaust and chip sets if you want to make high numbers and lots of smoke. Right now, I am happy with the stock setup.

I am running a 2001.5 Dodge 3500. "So far" the only mods are are guages, 4" exhaust, and a slight turbo tweek to get 24lbs of boost. With the exhaust and turbo mod...i lowered my EGTs 150-200 degrees when towing my 2 car trailer. (aprox. 12k worth of trail + truck)

Its never ending....you just have to figure out how to explain to the wife/girlfriend why you are modifiy 2 rigs....

Seth

Rich said:
I doubt your duramax would care for a governor spring kit like my CTD does.. ;)

Dmax has no mechanical governor, everything is computer controled, fuel rates to fuel pressures, all pulse width modulation and the like. HPCR diesels are pretty much plug and play till you get in to SERIOUS HP, then you really start spending $$$$

Though the Dmax does have a 5000rpm critical mass limit, before parts start colliding. ECM will only let it run to 4800 before it either shuts it down or in using the Allison for braking it'll upshift if the RPM's get too high, manual trans, you are on your own.

[QOUTE] Any diesel, however, will respond in a dramatic manner, to fogging the intake... but motor oil can be used too! :D[/QUOTE]

;) I believe I have hard proof of this.

And someone asked if I had ever seen a runaway diesel, would you like to see pix of the aftermath ( Duramax)?

Kevin

Blkvoodoo said:
Dmax has no mechanical governor, everything is computer controled, fuel rates to fuel pressures, all pulse width modulation and the like. HPCR diesels are pretty much plug and play till you get in to SERIOUS HP, then you really start spending $$$$

And you didn't catch my sarcasm how? :flipoff2:

Rich said:
Have you priced the transmission upgrades required to reliably support that kind of power, day in, day out? It really doesn't matter what brand of truck you drive.. if you've got an auto, your tranny is near its limit in stock form. If you've got a stick, your clutch is about the same, too.

Guys that never tow can get away for a little while... but when towing.. ya feelin' lucky?

Your question is loaded anyway - each rig responds differently to different mods. I doubt your duramax would care for a governor spring kit like my CTD does.. ;)

Any diesel, however, will respond in a dramatic manner, to fogging the intake... but motor oil can be used too! :D

I am really not at all worried about the Ally in stock form. Even if I juiced the Duramax (Which I have no plans to. Not in the first 100K anyway) there would be plenty of strength to handle the extra power. Some of the other makers have been known for the tranny puking when the motor is juiced. I am not going to get into that other than to say I have not heard of anyone killing an Ally with a chip. The Ally is one of the strongest trannys made.

Speaking of strong trannys, my Jeep has a Turbo-400 and it is rock solid.You can't kill a T-400. I would wager the Ally is even stroger than the 400. Luckily the T400 in my Jeep is not my DD because lack of OD would suck.

Yes, the Allison is arguably the strongest tranny in stock form, but the juice box can put the tranny into limp mode because it starts to slip the TC clutch on high setting.. Doesn't sound like "plenty" of strength to me.. Put a trailer behind it, and it can happen at a lower power level, but it's more rare than with the other 2 brands. (My tranny builder dabbles in the Ally1000 series)

Granted, we generally take it easier when towing than we do empty, but it's not something to be ignored at any rate.. (And with my engine's torque peak of ~800lb-ft being around 1800rpm (60-65mph in OD), it's not hard to put alot of stress on the components when climbing a hill with a load..)

My point was simply that if you're gonna start putting down more power, the other components can't be ignored. I'm not about to start a brand war.

And yes, the Allison is undoubtably stronger than the 400, since the 4l80E (TH400 + OD) had troubles holding up to the moderate power from the 6.5TD.. much of it is the torque produced down low in the RPM's from the diesel, when the tranny is at its weakest.

The trend toward higher-revving diesels will probably help transmissions live longer, since they don't make their power until higher in the powerband, when the tranny pressures and flow are higher

I'm installing a diesel performance injection pump and matched high flow injectors along with an H2O injection system. I already have A banks sidewinder waste gated turbo, banks exhaust,adjustable boost control,and performance Trans. on my 93' IDI F350. The new injection pump is suppose to allow up the rev limit to just over 4 grand along with throwing additional fuel to it, we'll see how it works out. I fighting the urge to go buy a new truck with throwing some more mods at this one.
I also just bought a 98' Dodge ,excab, dually,12v cummins,sport, that I'm sure I'll throw some mods at if I don't resell it right away.

bigassedredjeep said:
what ya want for that dodge?

BIGWOODY - same question from me - I have been looking for one of those if it is 4x4 and 5-speed.

BIGWOODY said:
2wd auto....in the 6k range ......its got big miles on it 300k

Is this the grease one???

BRUISER said:
Is this the grease one???
nope....the CTD that is running on grease has 275k on it. with a larger turbo, 42psi of boost,h2o/propane injection, fuel plate removed, high flow injectors, spring/weight upgrade in injection pump, 5" exhaust and will out run most sports cars..on grease... It's my business partners truck and it would take a lot of $$$$ to buy it.

Rich said:
Yes, the Allison is arguably the strongest tranny in stock form, but the juice box can put the tranny into limp mode because it starts to slip the TC clutch on high setting.. Doesn't sound like "plenty" of strength to me.. Put a trailer behind it, and it can happen at a lower power level, but it's more rare than with the other 2 brands. (My tranny builder dabbles in the Ally1000 series)
I'm always up for learning something new.

Rich said:
Granted, we generally take it easier when towing than we do empty, but it's not something to be ignored at any rate.. (And with my engine's torque peak of ~800lb-ft being around 1800rpm (60-65mph in OD), it's not hard to put alot of stress on the components when climbing a hill with a load..)

My point was simply that if you're gonna start putting down more power, the other components can't be ignored. I'm not about to start a brand war.
Point noted. Its a good one too.

[
QUOTE=Rich]And yes, the Allison is undoubtably stronger than the 400, since the 4l80E (TH400 + OD) had troubles holding up to the moderate power from the 6.5TD.. much of it is the torque produced down low in the RPM's from the diesel, when the tranny is at its weakest.
The trend toward higher-revving diesels will probably help transmissions live longer, since they don't make their power until higher in the powerband, when the tranny pressures and flow are higher

Interesting trend. I hope they don't rev too high, I just filled up this morning at 2.599. At least it was cheaper than the cheap gas for a change.

Back