What is bent on my f350's 10.25

Van-go

Not an old man
1997 F350 Sterling 10.25 rear 4.10's.

I noticed a while back that my driver rear tire is wearing a little quicker than normal. Thought it was the wheel being bent, but I've changed wheels and still have the issue.
I looked closer and noticed that it has a wobble when it rolls.

How do I tell what is causing it?

Should I just replace the hub, spindle, and shaft?
If the housing is bent, is it worth getting it fixed? Or just swap the whole axle?

Thanks

I'd pull the axle out and spin the tire and see what it does. I wouldn't think the spindle or hub could cause the issue...if the spindle was bent, it would just have some negative camber.

I'd pull the axle out and spin the tire and see what it does. I wouldn't think the spindle or hub could cause the issue...if the spindle was bent, it would just have some negative camber.
Wheel bearings good? Spindle nut tight?

I would think if the housing was bent, it wouldn’t wobble, it would just have improper camber or toe.

Yeah that makes sense about the camber. I've towed to Alabama, KY and many other places like this without any issues other than the wobble. I always thought it was my old crappy wheels, but I've rotated them around and tried a few sets with no change, so that's why I just started to check into it...

I'll pull the shaft and see what happens.

The shaft doesn't have anything to do with it if it's a full floater. Either the hub flange is bent, or something is wrong with the bearings. Might be a spun race, might be a bad bearing, etc. If the rotors or drums go on from the outside, there might be some rust or trash between there and the flange that's causing the WMS to be out of square.

Could it be rotor/drum retention bolts on the wheel mounting flange? Some wheels have cutouts between the lugs that clear them and when you switch wheels or even put the correct wheels on in the wrong place (think indexing) they will wobble. I have seen it alot when i was at the tire shop. Just something to check.

Could it be rotor/drum retention bolts on the wheel mounting flange? Some wheels have cutouts between the lugs that clear them and when you switch wheels or even put the correct wheels on in the wrong place (think indexing) they will wobble. I have seen it alot when i was at the tire shop. Just something to check.

I think the drum goes on from the outside and is just pinched between the wheel and the flange. I'd start by pulling the drum and putting a dial indicator on the hub flange to check for runout. If there's rust and trash and stuff in the drum, you'll find it at that point, too. If the flange checks out, then slide the drum back on, put a couple of lug nuts on to hold the drum tight to the flange, and check the WMS runout on the drum face.

I think the drum goes on from the outside and is just pinched between the wheel and the flange. I'd start by pulling the drum and putting a dial indicator on the hub flange to check for runout. If there's rust and trash and stuff in the drum, you'll find it at that point, too. If the flange checks out, then slide the drum back on, put a couple of lug nuts on to hold the drum tight to the flange, and check the WMS runout on the drum face.
Good advice. I'll update after I try it.
Thanks y'all.

If the wheel bearings had slack and the axle (somehow) was bent, it would make it wobble...I know it's far fetched, but it could happen.

It's probably something simple like a dirty mounting surface or possibly one of those stupid drum retainer clips.

If the wheel bearings had slack and the axle (somehow) was bent, it would make it wobble...I know it's far fetched, but it could happen.

It's probably something simple like a dirty mounting surface or possibly one of those stupid drum retainer clips.

It makes sense. I am going to pull it all apart anyways.
I think the drum or shoes or both have to be worn uneven. I matter what the cause is. I'll pull it all apart.
But it towed great again tonight. lol just wobbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broken belts in the tire?

Back