What is a NC License and Theft inspection?

Jeffncs

I bought a TX titled CJ7, submitted the title application forms and paid the fees. The very nice lady at the desk informed me that the Jeep would require an inspection before the title was issued.

The Jeep needs a lot of work...

What should I be prepared for the inspector look at? Is this just a VIN - title check for theft?

Thanks.

I had to do the same for a 73 Toyota. Once you call an inspector, they will come out to your house and just verify all the vin locations match the title. The vehicle does not have to run or drive. If all the numbers are legit, you’ll get the title in the mail. My title says “inoperable vehicle “ at the top. Once the vehicle is repaired and street legal, the inspector will come back out to reinspect and give his stamp of approval. I have to say it was a very painless ordeal. (surprisingly).

Have had it done. You can also take it by trailer to their location vs having them come to your house. At least that’s an option at the one here. Since NC is a frame state, they will be looking for the number on the frame in addition to the body tag, or plate on top of windshield wiper motor, depending on the year of your CJ.

I bought a TX titled CJ7, submitted the title application forms and paid the fees. The very nice lady at the desk informed me that the Jeep would require an inspection before the title was issued.

The Jeep needs a lot of work...

What should I be prepared for the inspector look at? Is this just a VIN - title check for theft?

Thanks.
DID she say it needed a NC inspection or you have to have AN NC DMV agent inspected ? what year is it ? If you have to take to a DMV office they mainly going to look for vin numbers , find them and clean them so they can take pics

Thanks @Papa_Jon

I tried cleaning the passenger frame rail. There’s a partial VIN there. It also has the firewall tag and windshield motor cover tag. The frame rail is rusty and tough to read clearly, but that which you can read aligns.

It’s and 82 CJ7. This should be the only inspection to worry about (no future safety or emissions inspections). I was also told that I had the option of trailering it to the office for inspection or having the inspector come to my home. Not having a trailer of my own, she’s coming to me.

Hoping she sees it as “together enough” to title it outright and avoid the “under construction” intermediate title.

Thanks @Papa_Jon

I tried cleaning the passenger frame rail. There’s a partial VIN there. It also has the firewall tag and windshield motor cover tag. The frame rail is rusty and tough to read clearly, but that which you can read aligns.

It’s and 82 CJ7. This should be the only inspection to worry about (no future safety or emissions inspections). I was also told that I had the option of trailering it to the office for inspection or having the inspector come to my home. Not having a trailer of my own, she’s coming to me.

Hoping she sees it as “together enough” to title it outright and avoid the “under construction” intermediate title.
yeah it will take awhile for them to get to ya , I always trailer mine to them .. I deal with DMV on a regular basis They stay busy

I took a Falcon I bought in VA up to the DMV station in Lexington, NC - nice guys, was done in 10-minutes.

Inspector arrived on time today. She looked at and took pics of the VIN plates and my license. She looked the vehicle over once and went back to her vehicle.

I checked back with her after maybe 10-15 minutes to learn that she had already ran the VIN and the Jeep was clear. I should have a title in hand after the DMV does their magic (6-8 weeks was her estimate).

I can register and tag it immediately is I wanted to do so though.

Y’all were correct in calling this painless.

Thanks!

Back