What have you done for your health today?

Bringing this back up on my end. Last year I went from 245 to around 190-195ish from January to July. From July to December, I basically maintained that weight while still eating somewhat healthy but drinking alcohol. A lot of my strength returned which was nice. Ended the year right around the 200lb mark which tells me two things. 1. This is my new base weight(used to be 225-230 :eek:). 2. I can maintain that weight just by working out and having a somewhat health diet while still enjoying beer, bourbon, and whisky.

However, me being me, decided that 200lbs was still too heavy, so Jan 1. I went on another cut. I'm still using RP Strength but decided to use the app this time instead of the paper template. I started Jan 1st at 203.3. As of this morning I am 198.0. The goal is to get down to about 180-185 while still maintaining strength numbers. I'm going to keep protein relatively high, fats moderate, and begin to cut carbs down week by week. An example of a day of eating looks like this. 200grams of Protein, 60grams of Fat, 160grams of carbs. This is all spread out through 4 meals and two protein shakes(whey protein with creatine right after a workout and casein protein before bed).

Today's workout at the gym is

For Time:
100m handstand walk buy in
Then 2 rounds for time
30 single DB box step ups(55lb DB)
400m Run
30 single arm DB hang clean and jerk
400m run 30 SA DB power snatch

So a 1 mile run broken up into 4 sections and a bunch of dumbbell work.

Core cashout after the workout is
3 rounds
10 SA plank rows each arm
25 V ups or hollow rocks

Goal for 2020, visible abs which I haven't had since high school.

Got-toe-Mighty! Congrats. Wore me out just reading that.

Still working on the weight loss. Been walking 4-ish miles after work some days along with my other in house exercise.

Been dealing with some emotional and mental stuff lately. Even called in sick to work one day. I've never done that before in my life. So, I decided I'm going to see a therapist. Got an appointment scheduled next week already. Never had a moment's worth of shame or reservation about it. I'm looking forward to it, actually. Pharmaceuticals are my absolute last resort.

Don't forget about your mental health, yall.

I proudly and boldly let friends know I have gone and continue to see a therapist.
Doing so has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.
Stick to it buddy. If you ever need to talk, you have my digits

Quick loop after work today
Screenshot_20200116-210633.png

Been hitting the gym hard lately. Workouts are feeling good. Finally got my shoulder back working properly so I can do pullups again. Weight is still around 195ish.

The worst thing about being on a cut is not :poop: for a couple days :shaking:. Anyone else have issues with that? I've been eating a lot of leafy vegetables(lots of fiber) and not a thing.

Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate.

How much fiber are you getting?

Bananas, apples, blueberries, a variety of veggies but especially green ones, and a little fat, like avocado or MCT oil, might help.

Been hitting the gym hard lately. Workouts are feeling good. Finally got my shoulder back working properly so I can do pullups again. Weight is still around 195ish.

The worst thing about being on a cut is not :poop: for a couple days :shaking:. Anyone else have issues with that? I've been eating a lot of leafy vegetables(lots of fiber) and not a thing.
You gotta drink a lot of water. I usually start my day with a Nalgene full of water and then 4-5 more refills throughout the day. Obviously foods rich in fiber help as well.

Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate.

How much fiber are you getting?

Bananas, apples, blueberries, a variety of veggies but especially green ones, and a little fat, like avocado or MCT oil, might help.

I have a 27oz cup at work that I usually go through 3-4 times a day at work. At the gym and afterwards I'll go through a 320z nalgene at least once and then the rest of the night I am drinking water. I usually drink a lot of water from 8pm to about 11pm or so.

I'm a big fan of salads with kale, arugala, and spinach. I eat a lot of vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, green beans etc. I'm not too big on fruit as fruit has a lot of sugars/carbs in them and part of my eating limits the amount of carbs I can have per meal.

You gotta drink a lot of water. I usually start my day with a Nalgene full of water and then 4-5 more refills throughout the day. Obviously foods rich in fiber help as well.

I haven't figured it up, but I try and consume my body weight in water a day(195oz). I've heard good things about psyllium husk to take so I might look into that.

Not pooping is seriously affecting my weigh-ins. I was 195.0 even on Wednesday morning. Yesterday I was 196.0, Today I was 198.3. I have eaten everything that I'm supposed to eat and not gone over my limits and have been at the gym every single day.

I weigh in 3 times a week(M,W,F) and take the average number for my weight loss for that week.

Not to derail, but since I started this thread, I'll use executive priviledge.
I stopped weighing in for a short while now. I am basing health and wellness on: clothes feel, effort required to make same runs, bike rides, hikes and my general overall health feel.
I have without a doubt been a little lighter. But on the other hand, I am PR'ing every climb I set my mind to (I mean like 4-5 mile unrelenting ones) and my stamina during those rides is far superior to in the past. Next Saturday I am running a 25K trail race that I have ran twice before. So that will be a solid barometer for my current health as well.

By the way @YJJPWrangler, congrats on sticking to it!

I have a 27oz cup at work that I usually go through 3-4 times a day at work. At the gym and afterwards I'll go through a 320z nalgene at least once and then the rest of the night I am drinking water. I usually drink a lot of water from 8pm to about 11pm or so.

I'm a big fan of salads with kale, arugala, and spinach. I eat a lot of vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, green beans etc. I'm not too big on fruit as fruit has a lot of sugars/carbs in them and part of my eating limits the amount of carbs I can have per meal.

I haven't figured it up, but I try and consume my body weight in water a day(195oz). I've heard good things about psyllium husk to take so I might look into that.

Not pooping is seriously affecting my weigh-ins. I was 195.0 even on Wednesday morning. Yesterday I was 196.0, Today I was 198.3. I have eaten everything that I'm supposed to eat and not gone over my limits and have been at the gym every single day.

I weigh in 3 times a week(M,W,F) and take the average number for my weight loss for that week.

Fruit is great for pectin and fiber. Pectin helps feed your gut microbes and keep things moving, so don't exclude it. One 1/2 cup of blueberries is about 10g of carbs, 7g being sugar, an orange is 12g/9g, and an apple is about 15g/11g.

I would not rule out the additional stress on your system of the "cut" and daily hard workouts. Give your body time to adjust and, if you are feeling as good as you say otherwise, maybe don't sweat the weigh-ins until things get moving. :lol:

Processing food is one thing my body is very good at. I typically :poop: twice a day no matter if I am cutting or bulking. One thing that did plug me up though is protein powder. I must have tried 4-6 different brands and had the same results with all of them. I quit eating that crap, and just eat more real food now.

When I’m out of town working, it may be nearly all week because of the improved diet while it’s just me to prep for.

I do salads, grilled chicken, and some steamed veggies through the week. The weekend with the family, not so much.

I’ve fallen off the wagon recently due to various things. (Holidays, stress, work schedule, home life, etc).

but with a 50k coming up in March, I figure I better get back on the wagon pretty quick and train hard.

so, got back out and did 5 miles and some chest and arm burnouts. The next couple of months will have to be real strict if I’m to be alive by the end of this 50k race.

Fruit is great for pectin and fiber. Pectin helps feed your gut microbes and keep things moving, so don't exclude it. One 1/2 cup of blueberries is about 10g of carbs, 7g being sugar, an orange is 12g/9g, and an apple is about 15g/11g.

I would not rule out the additional stress on your system of the "cut" and daily hard workouts. Give your body time to adjust and, if you are feeling as good as you say otherwise, maybe don't sweat the weigh-ins until things get moving. :lol:
@YJJPWrangler
For someone like myself who is very carb sensitive those numbers would halt a cut. Easily. Even at sub 1500 cal/day I cant lose over 15g Carbs per day...but that said...

A couple things on poop.
1) If you are cutting you will poop less because you are ingesting less If you feel fine other than just a decreased frequency of poop dont worry.
2) If you feel backed up and have other symptoms of constipation thats a different story. Dont be afraid to take a mild laxative to get things flowing. Diet shifts can take a bit for your gut bacteria to sort themselves.
3) Water I am learning is a complex subject. Strangely drinking too much pure water can actually dehydrate your bowels. You can read up on gel water and a bunch of other weirdness..but for me electrolyte balance is so key. Research recipes for "keto-ade"...and try to drink that 2x a day for a couple days....Id just about bet that regulates everything.

@YJJPWrangler
For someone like myself who is very carb sensitive those numbers would halt a cut. Easily. Even at sub 1500 cal/day I cant lose over 15g Carbs per day...but that said...

I was basing my comment off what he'd already stated about his desired intake...

An example of a day of eating looks like this. 200grams of Protein, 60grams of Fat, 160grams of carbs. This is all spread out through 4 meals and two protein shakes(whey protein with creatine right after a workout and casein protein before bed)

All good information here yall.

I'm using RP strength and my current macros are 200g of protein, 60g of fat, 160g of carbs. Over the course of the next several weeks, those carbs will begin to be cut. @Jody Treadway, the metric that RP uses is weight loss. The sweet spot is 1-1.5lbs of weight loss per week on this cut. Anything less, your carbs get cut. I agree with you that the number on the scale doesn't really matter as long as you can see results, clothes fit better etc.

@drkelly, I do take protein powder/creatine after a workout. This usually doesn't have any affect on me at all. Im normally 2x a day but for the last week or so its not been regular. @Ron, yes less food in equals less food out. It's just weird.

@trailhugger, I will try and incorporate a few more fruits into my daily intake. I do know we keep blueberries and bananas around the house at all times.

I'll look at increasing fruit intake in moderation and see if that makes any changes.

I feel great in the gym and have been crushing workouts lately. Energy and stamina are up a lot and I'm hitting heavy Olympic lifts regularly.

My last cut, I really started seeing the scale move after the 4th week(so next week for me). Hopefully the same holds true this time go round.

I was basing my comment off what he'd already stated about his desired intake...
Thats what I get for skim reading and transposing myself to others...

But that post explains the poop issue.
Protein shakes are notorious for causing cosntipation.
In short the power suspends temporarily in the mixing water or milk, and then "dehydrates" in your gut and binds all kinds of stomach bile.
Eat more chicken and red meat and less protein shakes. If you just cant make yourself eat and your protein needs are that high...mix in some MCT or coconut oil into your protein shake ...not so much to do the goofy keto thing or trying to get fats in...but coconut oil greases all the skids real good and adds anti binding properties to the protein powder

Last edited:
I like collagen powder for boosting protein in smoothies.

I like sardines for a snack.

I also feel like supplementing trace minerals made a big difference when I was drinking a lot of city water.

I don’t know how y’all drink so much water, especially at night. My old man bladder would have me up to hit the head.

I try to consume the majority of my water before 3pm. I typically get up once at night.

I replaced the whey protein shakes with more greek yogurt, egg whites, hard boiled eggs, and tuna.

Back