What have you done for your health today?

6 miles of hell climbs at DuPont after work. Up Burnt Mountain, up Cedar Rock and up Big Rock.
The downhill from Big Rock to the parking lot was epic!
Getting warmed up for the Jody Treadway/ @Oliver's spandex extravaganza this Saturday!
IMG_2106.jpeg
IMG_2104.jpeg

So @Mulishajoe & I were supposed to be done with Whole30 as of May 30th but we ended up liking it & our results so much that we kept plugging along. We're planning to go through June 30th & then slowly start re-introducing foods.

After the 1st round, I dropped about 6lbs...he lost over 20lbs :rolleyes: My blood pressure has decreased, my skin looks great, & my abs are finally starting to make an appearance. But the best thing is how much freaking energy I have! By far this has been one of the best decisions we've made for our health.

So @Mulishajoe & I were supposed to be done with Whole30 as of May 30th but we ended up liking it & our results so much that we kept plugging along. We're planning to go through June 30th & then slowly start re-introducing foods.

After the 1st round, I dropped about 6lbs...he lost over 20lbs :rolleyes: My blood pressure has decreased, my skin looks great, & my abs are finally starting to make an appearance. But the best thing is how much freaking energy I have! By far this has been one of the best decisions we've made for our health.
That is freaking awesome! Proud of you two!

Friday got bad. Like really bad. It was 4, 5min rounds of 30 cals on the assault bike and then 4 heavy front squats. I started at 185 and worked up to 225 and just about blacked out on the last bike.

The workout was then 50 pullups for time. Every time you broke it was a 200m run. That got bad really quick.

Back on the plan today. The weekend was spent watching my wife crush a local ladies only Crossfit competition on Saturday.

Today's workout was a lot of fun

200 double under buy in:

Then 4 rounds for time

1 legless rope climb
10 burpee to 6" target
400m run

Finished in 18:05. Run was the worse part. Legless rope climbs 2 months ago were pretty tough, today they were the easiest part(probably something to do with dropping 30 lbs...)

This weeks workouts get tougher and tougher every day with some high level gymnastic work. Should be a lot of fun.

Today's workout was just brutal....but it was a lot of fun.

2000m row
21 squat cleans(135)
15 thrusters(135)
1000m row
15 squat cleans
12 thrusters
500m row
9 squat cleans
9 thrusters

Finished in 32:45. Terrible but it felt really good moving that kind of weight again.

Other than pushups and the ab challenge, haven't done much in a couple weeks because of some foot pain. But I made it out to F3 this morning and I'm glad I did. Awesome way to get the day started.

Also, I just registered for the Huntersville Half Marathon that is on December 14th. I've never ran a half marathon before. Plenty of time to train between now and then. This gives me something to work toward. And the price goes up after today. huntersvillehalf.com

So I've been laying low in this thread for a few weeks, not because I fell of the wagon but honestly because
A) I figure no one really cares. I dont mean that bad but ts not like folks are checking in for their weekly update from the fat man.
B) On a more positive vibe this started off as something for other people. For my kids so i would be around longer, to look better and be more "acceptable" to others. I mean I know internally that is dumb but if I am honest those were the motivations. But it has shifted. This is now for me. This is about maximizing MY life. I am a servant leader by nature. I gain happiness by sacrifice and give. I don't want to change that. But I do want to learn to prioritize myself. And not in a self destructive way. Not in chemically altered ways. I want to get back to enjoying being alive. Not just enjoying succeeding or enjoying accomplishing but enjoying the journey. In short I didnt feel the need to get those atta boys and good job PMs and texts. They felt good and make no mistake early on they were the REASON for my good choices Now I am transitioning into me being the reason and the externals just being benefits.

So if you read all that you thought...duder has fallen off the wagon got back to his drinking and gluttonous eating ways and hasnt posted an updated weigh in because he hasnt lost any weight.
Well that would be inaccurate as well. My last post in the thread I was at 267. This morning I weighed in under 261.

Now the progress HAS slowed some for a couple reasons. 1) As I've gotten less fat y body is adapting and trying to consume more energy. I'm having to fawk with it through work out cycling and through meal composition and timing cycling but the weight is coming off. 2) This is a major time period in our household. Tomorrow morning my oldest graduates high school. That seems stupid and surreal. I remember sitting outside graduation taking a few shots before walking in like it was yesterday. Literally like it was yesterday. I cant be old enough to have a kid graduating....yet here we are. Anyway there have been any number of events. last weekend we had a big party throwdown and we smoked a 150lb hog. Some friends from Greenville who are champion pig cookers and have been on TV:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Barbecue turkeys and chickens from Moe &amp; Joe. Junk Juice splash is epic but their tangy sa… <a href="Andrew Zimmern on Instagram: “Barbecue turkeys and chickens from Moe & Joe. Junk Juice splash is epic but their tangy sauce might be GOAT.”">Andrew Zimmern on Instagram: “Barbecue turkeys and chickens from Moe & Joe. Junk Juice splash is epic but their tangy sauce might be GOAT.”</a> <a href="Andrew Zimmern on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/bq7K2bnlOJ</a></p>&mdash; Andrew Zimmern (@andrewzimmern) <a href="Andrew Zimmern on Twitter">November 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Those guys cooked the pig. And I didnt want to be the guy not eating the pig. So it wasnt a failure. It was a lanned moment of living life and enjoying the moment. And the next morning I got up and stated back eating clean. There have been several of those once in a lifetime events this month and Ive planned around them. Saturday morning Lane (@Skyhik5jr ) and I embark on the Power Tour with plans to long haul and complete the entire 6 day trip. And I have no intention of trying to force a manipuated diet on the trip. I'll roll with the punches, make healthy choices when available, probably even make a few unhealthy ones if the moment hits...and stay the course.

Make no mistake - I'm still going to weigh 225 soon. By hook or by crook. But Im going to enjoy the journey getting there.

Keep up the kick ass work guys and Ill be back to checking in more regularly starting in a few weeks.

So I've been laying low in this thread for a few weeks, not because I fell of the wagon but honestly because
A) I figure no one really cares. I dont mean that bad but ts not like folks are checking in for their weekly update from the fat man.
B) On a more positive vibe this started off as something for other people. For my kids so i would be around longer, to look better and be more "acceptable" to others. I mean I know internally that is dumb but if I am honest those were the motivations. But it has shifted. This is now for me. This is about maximizing MY life. I am a servant leader by nature. I gain happiness by sacrifice and give. I don't want to change that. But I do want to learn to prioritize myself. And not in a self destructive way. Not in chemically altered ways. I want to get back to enjoying being alive. Not just enjoying succeeding or enjoying accomplishing but enjoying the journey. In short I didnt feel the need to get those atta boys and good job PMs and texts. They felt good and make no mistake early on they were the REASON for my good choices Now I am transitioning into me being the reason and the externals just being benefits.

So if you read all that you thought...duder has fallen off the wagon got back to his drinking and gluttonous eating ways and hasnt posted an updated weigh in because he hasnt lost any weight.
Well that would be inaccurate as well. My last post in the thread I was at 267. This morning I weighed in under 261.

Now the progress HAS slowed some for a couple reasons. 1) As I've gotten less fat y body is adapting and trying to consume more energy. I'm having to fawk with it through work out cycling and through meal composition and timing cycling but the weight is coming off. 2) This is a major time period in our household. Tomorrow morning my oldest graduates high school. That seems stupid and surreal. I remember sitting outside graduation taking a few shots before walking in like it was yesterday. Literally like it was yesterday. I cant be old enough to have a kid graduating....yet here we are. Anyway there have been any number of events. last weekend we had a big party throwdown and we smoked a 150lb hog. Some friends from Greenville who are champion pig cookers and have been on TV:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Barbecue turkeys and chickens from Moe &amp; Joe. Junk Juice splash is epic but their tangy sa… <a href="Andrew Zimmern on Instagram: “Barbecue turkeys and chickens from Moe & Joe. Junk Juice splash is epic but their tangy sauce might be GOAT.”">Andrew Zimmern on Instagram: “Barbecue turkeys and chickens from Moe & Joe. Junk Juice splash is epic but their tangy sauce might be GOAT.”</a> <a href="Andrew Zimmern on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/bq7K2bnlOJ</a></p>&mdash; Andrew Zimmern (@andrewzimmern) <a href="Andrew Zimmern on Twitter">November 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Those guys cooked the pig. And I didnt want to be the guy not eating the pig. So it wasnt a failure. It was a lanned moment of living life and enjoying the moment. And the next morning I got up and stated back eating clean. There have been several of those once in a lifetime events this month and Ive planned around them. Saturday morning Lane (@Skyhik5jr ) and I embark on the Power Tour with plans to long haul and complete the entire 6 day trip. And I have no intention of trying to force a manipuated diet on the trip. I'll roll with the punches, make healthy choices when available, probably even make a few unhealthy ones if the moment hits...and stay the course.

Make no mistake - I'm still going to weigh 225 soon. By hook or by crook. But Im going to enjoy the journey getting there.

Keep up the kick ass work guys and Ill be back to checking in more regularly starting in a few weeks.
GG F@Ron I'm proud of you and secretly jealous.

@Ron that is completely understandable. Life events happen and one "bad" day of eating isn't going to ruin you. My best friend got married over memorial day weekend. There was a ton of drinking and eating terrible, delicious foods that I normally won't touch. I just knew I screwed it up. Tuesday morning I was back at relatively the same weight. The body gets used to the "new" level of food intake/good food and can quickly regulate itself if you have established a good routine.

I was 200.0 even this morning. Probably going to go back on another cut in mid June with the wife. End goal would be 185-190.

Today's workout was a lot of fun.

4x5:00min rounds

max 200m sprint
12 unbroken deadlifts

I went 44,42,42,41 secs on the run and climbed in weight from 185 to 215. Very grippy workout and my forearms were burning. I've recently really started learning ring muscleups and I practiced most of them on Wednesday. I'm super close and should have them pretty soon.

Chiropractor appt this morning before work. Back and neck doing very well.
Full dose of Dulcolax this AM chased with a gallon of water. Needless to say, I'm cleaned out.
Wrapped up the day with a great pseudo technical climb/descent ride at Dupont with the lovely Ms Treadway.
Twas a good day
Screenshot_20190613-193414.png

I'm pretty good friends with our local Harris Teeter pharmacist and she said corporate was telling them they needed to check 10 people's fasting blood sugar a month. I volunteered to help her out. I didn't have anything except water from supper last night until after she checked me, which was at 4pm today. My sugar was 106, which alarmed her.

She goes on about how I'm borderline prediabetic and this and that. I'm thinking, sure, I've lost 40 lbs, don't eat carbs or sugar, and NOW I'm on the verge of having the sugars. Didn't make sense to me.

What they don't check is your insulin level. I'm betting mine was very low and that means it takes a very small amount of insulin to keep my body happy and in homeostasis. I'm burning fat for energy instead of glucose and my muscles don't want it anymore, you just keep some on standby in case your brain needs a shot of it. They call it adaptive glucose sparing.

My next 6 month checkup is in a few weeks and I'm betting my doctor is going to tell me the same thing and not bother checking my insulin levels either.

Anyway, if some of you are on a similar diet, don't let anyone fool you in to thinking you're prediabetic because of a slightly elevated fasting blood sugar. Adding insulin would likely make it way worse!

Had two PRs today. Hit 195 on push press, previous was 180. Also, our workout today was a 2 mile run. My previous one mile run time was 7:25. Today I hit a 2 mile run time of 15:56 :eek:. Felt good too even with my calves cramping at the halfway point. Haven't run a 2 miler since college.

Weight this morning was 199.6. I'm starting to "peak" in my weight earlier in the week now. Used to I would hit a low weight around thursday/friday but now I'm hitting them on tuesday/wednesday. Looking forward to hitting 190 in a few weeks.

Crossfit Total today. 1 Rep max backsquat, 1 rep max strict press, 1 rep max deadlift. Hit 335, 147.5, 345. Kinda bummed because I used to be around 355 squat/365 deadlift but that was 30+ lbs ago. Guess its a new max for my new weight class...

I'm pretty good friends with our local Harris Teeter pharmacist and she said corporate was telling them they needed to check 10 people's fasting blood sugar a month. I volunteered to help her out. I didn't have anything except water from supper last night until after she checked me, which was at 4pm today. My sugar was 106, which alarmed her.

She goes on about how I'm borderline prediabetic and this and that. I'm thinking, sure, I've lost 40 lbs, don't eat carbs or sugar, and NOW I'm on the verge of having the sugars. Didn't make sense to me.

What they don't check is your insulin level. I'm betting mine was very low and that means it takes a very small amount of insulin to keep my body happy and in homeostasis. I'm burning fat for energy instead of glucose and my muscles don't want it anymore, you just keep some on standby in case your brain needs a shot of it. They call it adaptive glucose sparing.

My next 6 month checkup is in a few weeks and I'm betting my doctor is going to tell me the same thing and not bother checking my insulin levels either.

Anyway, if some of you are on a similar diet, don't let anyone fool you in to thinking you're prediabetic because of a slightly elevated fasting blood sugar. Adding insulin would likely make it way worse!

I agree with what you are saying but want to add a little more detail that you are probably aware of but may help others and also throw a few tidbits for thought out.
There are two main tests for determining metabolic response, and pancreatic function as it relates to blood sugar. There is the active blood sugar test and the hemoglobin A1c test.
Without nerding out active blood sugar is whats there right now and A1C is an accurate reading of what its been for period of time.

It is very possible if you had a fairly optimized pancreas and then went full keto to become hyperinsulin sensitive. That is your body will almost shut down producing any insulin and your blood sugars will elevate.
This is NOT a health concern if it is dietary induced. However you COULD actually be hurting your progress. While that blood sugar is there and present your body will prefer it to fat ketones and you are actually in an anabolic (gaining) state at that time So while not a health concern necessarily like diabetes it may well be to your benefit to address it to speed up your weight loss.

Now there are a few ways to do that but you need to know the root cause first. If your "keto" diet is more protein heavy there is a very good chance you are flooding gluconeogenesis. I.E. your body is converting protein to blood sugar. Its less efficient than carb conversion but is possible so again you need to get that out fo system to get your body attacking the WAT. Take a close look at your protein intake and if its exceeding your fat intake try playing with those % a bit. For keto to work ideally you actually want to substitute lean cuts with fatty ones. Hamburger=good chicken=bad in this case.

If your macros are dialed in then shrinking the feeding window and increasing the fasting window can be a huge help.
I kick started my last stall jutst by 3 days of 20-4 Intermittent fasting.

Finally if you arent opposed to legal over the counter supplements there are some pills that can help you in a very short time frame. Look up glucose disposal agents. They will bond to free blood sugar, encapsulate it and you will poop it out...and your body will get back to chasing fat.

I do not advocate continuous use of GDAs but short term fix cycles work better for me.

I am a blood work advocate....thats the engineer nerd in me wanting numbers....Ive been doing monthly full blood profiles this year and its fascinating to watch what I cna make my body do through small changes...

Back