What have you done for your health today?

-I need to loose 15-20 lbs.
-Add some muscle.
-Generally eat healthier, my good cholesterol is a little low and my bad cholesterol is a little high.

I'm not really sure how to get there. I've never been a health or fitness person just have always been really active which kept me in shape. Now after being out of high school the activity level has gone down but the eating hasn't.

I’m in the same boat. In high school I ran track, and skied almost every day the ski area was open.
Went to college worked out in the field
Graduated and worked in the field
Now I work in the office and I walk from my desk to break room for water.

I also don’t run or ski now all this equal Logan turning into #BTL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, carbs are great for recovery especially after a hard workout. This diet I'm using is structured in such a way that you can choose how many carbs you eat based on the workout(light, moderate, heavy). So you can custom fit it to the workout every day. Our staple carbs are rice and sweet potatoes. We cook a large portion of each every week and then can just portion it out day to day.

Bri and I do the same. I usually do 4-6 sweet potatoes and a few cups of whole brown basmati rice (or similar, just no white rice), then divide it up with lean proteins and veggies all week. Seems to work well.

Does it matter from a health standpoint the doneness of the steak i.e. rare vs well?
I hope not...because much past rare and I aint eating it.

Well, cooking it more will cook out the fat more than eating it rare, but I’m betting that is minimal. Beyond that, I wouldn’t think it would change much.
yep and you want the fat.
In a zero carb state fat is your energy source

Took the pups for a walk after work
Screenshot_20190103-165754.png

For the last few days Ive cut way back on salt. I'm the type of person usually that will grab a salt shaker and start shaking before I even taste the food. It's a bad habit I'm breaking.

These diets I don’t think I could handle yet. We are trying to eat healthier. My gf also asked if I’d join weight watchers with her so I said sure. We are going to eat out less (I think this is what has caused me to gain the most weight), couple that with deer meat (low fat and lean) and with chickens my buddy raised (we split cost of birds and raising them and I go down and help process) we should make some progress if not well at least I feel better about what we are eating

These diets I don’t think I could handle yet. We are trying to eat healthier. My gf also asked if I’d join weight watchers with her so I said sure. We are going to eat out less (I think this is what has caused me to gain the most weight), couple that with deer meat (low fat and lean) and with chickens my buddy raised (we split cost of birds and raising them and I go down and help process) we should make some progress if not well at least I feel better about what we are eating

Cut out blatant garbage- candy, chips, soda, etc.
Control portion size
Move as much as you can
Don't drink calories
Keep sugar intake below 50 grams a day

It will fall off man. That's all I did in 2016.

Thoughts on artificial sweeteners? Always been told they are worse for you and make you crave sugar. After my wife’s heart attack a month ago we are making major lifestyle changes and we are trying to stay away from anything wheat for an entire year. Plan is lean protein, fresh fruits and vegetables, single ingredient foods, and just get out and move.

Thoughts on artificial sweeteners? Always been told they are worse for you and make you crave sugar. After my wife’s heart attack a month ago we are making major lifestyle changes and we are trying to stay away from anything wheat for an entire year. Plan is lean protein, fresh fruits and vegetables, single ingredient foods, and just get out and move.

Watch a show on Netflix/Amazon called Fed Up. It's all about hidden sugars and artificial sweeteners and their effect on our health.
Then check out Forks over Knives.

It works buddy. You and I are physically very similarly built so I know how quickly you will be able to see results.

Do it buddy. We have a lot of wheeling left to do.

I'm fat. 5ftNuthin and 207lbs. Started the year (2018) around 185lbs if I remember right. Now my clothes are too tight. Somewhere between short term knee injuries, long term foot injuries, building a house, having a second kid, changing jobs, and eating a bunch of crap food, it somehow managed to sneak up on me, haha! I joined a gym near work back in early December, and I've actually put on 2 or 3 lb since then but my clothes are starting to fit better. Now I just have to figure out how to eat like a not fatty and stick with it. I went ahead and paid for the 18 month gym membership instead of doing it monthly, because it was a lot cheaper, and I figured it would help me commit to it. Typically I ride my mountain bike a lot but this year has really sucked and this weather now sucks even worse.

I just started a diet myself. I'm aiming for the carnivore, but falling more towards keto. I try to keep it only fatty meats, but I'm not going to turn down asparagus or onions....so at least if I "cheat"....it's still not that bad. I've been at it for three days and I can already feel my blood pressure is lower. I haven't had anything to drink that wasn't water either. Like that video says, I've already been able to tell a difference without any artificial sweeteners in my diet. Certain things coupled with diet Pepsi were killing my guts!

I wouldn't mind a trip to the doctor where he doesn't ask me if I know I'm fat :D

I actually started in September when the scale hit an all time high & I felt like a busted can of biscuits in the pants I could still manage to squeeze into. I had joined Weight Watchers to lose a couple pounds & keep my mom on track. But I half-assed it & got half-ass results in return. I dropped out thinking I could do it on my own. But within a couple months I gained it all back plus a little extra.

Naturally, I did the most sensible thing & complained about my lack of progress. I mean, I was busting my ass at bootcamp 3x per week but my abs were no where to be found. That's when my wonderful mother dropped the truth bomb..."you're eating like shit. You can't have breakfast cookies everyday & lose weight." Ouch. Dammit.

I've cleaned up my diet, eliminated my beloved breakfast cookies, & have dropped about 20lbs. Still no abs yet but I know those bastards are in there!

So for 2019 I plan to:
  • Keep eating clean-ish & keep portions in check
  • Drink more water than Diet Dew
  • Add 2 days/week of Crossfit + 3 days/week Bootcamp
  • Manage an unassisted pull-up
  • Deadlift 175lbs+ (oh & lift other heavy shit too - I'd rather be strong than skinny)
  • Conquer bear crawls (it's almost embarrassing that I suck so bad at something so freaking simple)
  • Aim for 7hrs of sleep

Failed miserably tonight!!

When my wife and I met I weighted 150lbs. My wife is a very good cook and I love food. I now weight 220lbs. Well heart attacks at a young age run in my family and I’m concerned so I’m watching my health and doing a lot of walking to get back to 170ish lbs. with all that said.

Tonight I told my wife I wanted a salad. Ate a reasonable portion and didn’t add a bunch of dressing or any of the other bad stuff. A hour after dinner my wife and daughter look at me and say they need something sweet so I make THEM chocolate chip cookies. End up eating 6 myself.

I like the idea of this thread. I need to lose weight and get healthier for my health.

For those looking for some motivation and wondering if the single ingredient food plan works:
30392.jpeg

One year to the day. Something like 80# difference IIRC.
Just diet. That's it.
The running and biking came as a result of losing weight, not the other way around.

My "ahah" moment was when I couldn't figure out why my cell phone (kept on my waist via belt) kept shutting off during the day. Turned out a fat roll was hitting the power button.
Ouch.
Decided to take control of MY OWN LIFE and not ALLOW food to have power over me.
I liked reading @jeepin' jen post. She held herself accountable for lack of result. Didnt blame some illness or grab some shake. She made (is making) it happen

This is all quite inspiring and hope it's the same for some of you all too.

Last edited:
For those looking for some motivation and wondering if the single ingredient food plan works:
View attachment 283399
One year to the day. Something like 80# difference IIRC.
I see the dog is missing. Looks like about 80 pounds. Seems legit. I didn't realize dogs were considered single ingredient, but I've only had the Americanized version at the Chinese restaurants. (sorry @snowflakeshawn, you might consider that racist)

I'm fat. 5ftNuthin and 207lbs. Started the year (2018) around 185lbs if I remember right. Now my clothes are too tight. Somewhere between short term knee injuries, long term foot injuries, building a house, having a second kid, changing jobs, and eating a bunch of crap food, it somehow managed to sneak up on me, haha! I joined a gym near work back in early December, and I've actually put on 2 or 3 lb since then but my clothes are starting to fit better. Now I just have to figure out how to eat like a not fatty and stick with it. I went ahead and paid for the 18 month gym membership instead of doing it monthly, because it was a lot cheaper, and I figured it would help me commit to it. Typically I ride my mountain bike a lot but this year has really sucked and this weather now sucks even worse.
Im 6'2 and when I had my heart attack I weighed 357 at the hospital.I haven't checked since I left the hospital,but I never checked my weight (obviously).I can tell I've lost some weight based on the way my clothes fit and the different hole on my belt I have to use.Ive limited myself to sweet tea at only one meal which is a big decrease over the gallon a day I use to drink.Just cant give it up.

I’m 5’ 10” tall & on January 4, 2016 I weighed in at 211. I felt like crap and knew I needed to make some major changes to my diet, exercise & sleep habits. By the end of May I weighed 175 and felt great. Between then and the end of 2016 I hovered between 175 & 178. Throughout 2017 I maintained between 178 & 182. For the majority of 2018 I weighed in at 185 +/- 2 or 3 lbs, but starting in August I made a number of poor decisions & experienced a few injuries. I’m currently a couple pounds shy of cresting the 200 lb mark again.

I’m upset at myself because I know I screwed up and threw away all that hard work. I turn 50 in 11 days. I have a doctors appointment in 2 1/2 months & I know I’ll be questioned about the 10 - 15 pound weight gain. So it’s time to once again make some changes & hold myself accountable. No more skipping time at the gym and blaming it on being too busy with work Time to get back to counting calories and eating like I did when I dropped the weight.

@Jody Treadway - thanks for starting this thread!

Back