What coolers are y'all using in your rigs?

I have a 65qt pelican. Better $ than a yeti. No flimsy rope handles or rubber lid latches like the yeti. Side walls and lid are as thick or thicker. All around I think it is a superior design to many of the higher price coolers. I bought it for work here in Louisiana and it has been a champ getting beat around in the back of my HMMWV. Been flipped, slammed and banged around and never leaks a drop. Takes about a day to "cool it down" but when you get the right ice/water mix it will turn warm water bottles to slushies over night.

I took a nasty roll on the commander, pelican was in the back was thrown, rolled and rolled over only thing happened was a handle broke. They are great but dang they are heavy and bulky coolers.

Yeti Tundra 35 is a good 1-2 cooler size that fits well in the back of the TJ. Another plus was it was free from work. If I was paying it would be an Rtic cooler.

I use a lot of Pelican stuff, so I want to try out one of their coolers. Supposed to be pretty nice. Not saving any money over a Yeti though, but may be a better product for the high price according to some...
Point blank range in mooresville had them on sale a week or so ago. I want to say they were $100 off, can't say for sure though.

True that place is high as a pink mink I've actually seen used guns for the exact same price as new ones

I ran across an article a week or two ago that said Yeti's stock dropped because they over produced stock and there should be some inventory blowout sales but I sure haven't noticed any.

I have 2 K2's. A 20qt and a 70qt. I went to their website and bought off the clearance section. They mark them down and actually have free shipping on the scratch and dent section. The 2 I bought might have had a few knicks in it, but looked brand new. Think I paid $116 for the 20 and $254 for the 70. Very nice coolers. Check out youtube, they have done very well in the comparison videos with others. :beer:

Maybe it's just my outdoor lifestyle, but I've never needed to keep ice for 5 days...(being I don't camp much outside of wheeling trips, and I don't fish or hunt.) Financially I just don't understand the appeal of these $$$ coolers. (And likewise some may not understand why i/we spend $$$ on off-road cars...)

My $20 igloo/ Coleman cooler that I pack for wheeling days does just fine, it's lighter, easy to open, keeps my mt dew frosty cold... and when I get back to camp a few hours later, my $120 100 qt Coleman is loaded with ice and replacements, that I only have to pack once for the weekend.

To each his own...

Sorry, my post adds little relevancy to the op's thread.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

I also don't have much to add, but will say that we don't even carry a cooler in the rigs on the trail. Coffee for us, water for us and the kids, maybe a Coke or a Cheerwine for lunchtime and usually don't care if it's icy cold.

We pack coolers for the trip but most of that is for in camp and to keep the fridge space in the camper available for food. Keeping ice is nice and there's been times we needed it at Core Banks, for example. We're looking for something 'better' for the Tour because tents and bears.

I don't camp much outside of wheeling trips

Well see...there's your problem :D

Spend 4 days and 3 nights at Potts Mtn where you're 30 minutes from cell service, and 45 from a store that HAS ice, and you will change your tune.

Hot beer is teh suxor

Plus, we're not all rich like our resident Architects and can afford a nice quiet generator to power our luxury RV fridge :smokin:

I'm going to go ahead and say that I think the Ozark stuff from Walmart is just as good as Yeti or RTIC. I have their cups, 73 Qt Cooler and the 24 can soft side cooler. I've been very happy with them and while I was at the beach last month for fathers day weekend my cousin was there with his Yeti and he thinks my Ozark holds ice better than his yeti. We do weekend long camping trips and loading up with ice on the Friday and coming home with ice still in the cooler on Sunday night is nice.

My $20 igloo/ Coleman cooler that I pack for wheeling days does just fine, it's lighter, easy to open, keeps my mt dew frosty cold... and when I get back to camp a few hours later, my $120 100 qt Coleman is loaded with ice and replacements, that I only have to pack once for the weekend.
Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

pretty much. I've ran the same shitty cooler for years. It's covered in mud, scratches and whatever else hit it when I was on the trail. the handle broke off when my buddy Joseph tried to yank it out. It typically gets wedged in the back against the wheel well and the propane tanks. it holds ice and beverages for a day. I've yet to be in a situation where I needed to keep trail drinks cool for longer than that.

I do like the ability to tie the cooler down securely and still be able acess the contents. The day trip perspective is spot on though, by the end of the day I have usually busted all the cans in the cooler (that i haven't drank) and have a sticky mess. I actually started to pre-cozy all my cans. I guess my buggy must just ride like crap b/c i just ease around on the bunny slopes all day.

Been using one of those new roto molded Ozark Trail coolers that Walmart sells. Work bought them for us for our company vehicles.

Seems durable but latches and hasps are screwed in with crappy screws and flex while using. I'm guessing it's no time before they strip out. Hinges are pins but only on the outside corners, not all the way across like the $$$ coolers. May be OK, maybe not. My guess they are fine for the average person but wouldn't last too long in a buggy or off road rig. The 20qt is good sized and includes a handle. That's convenient but the diameter is small and the foam padding is small. Fully loaded I wouldn't want to carry it very far with that handle as it cuts into my hand even on short distances. There are no other handles on the cooler for a team lift or if the metal one breaks. I do like the locking mechanism that doubles as a bottle opener. However it protrudes from the side making it cut into your leg while carrying it and is also screwed in with some small screws. It does have some slots molded in to tie it down without preventing the lid from being opened. It doesn't have a drain, so to empty the water you have to pull it out if wherever it's mounted and tilt it up. If you have it strapped in to a rig, this could be cumbersome.

Overall, it keeps ice better than the traditional cheap coolers, maybe. But, there are obvious design and manufacturing corners cut that make it inferior to the $$$ coolers. I'd say the only advantage to this over another cheap cooler is that it's likely much more durable. I wouldn't even put it into the same category as the $$$ coolers other than it's made similarly. Beyond that, it's not even close on anything else.

Just my $.02 from someone that uses the Ozark and has several other yeti coolers I use daily.

This is what I use hangsout in the sun all day and and holds ice for 4_5 days I can't complain about it for 140$ I can buy two for the price of a yeti
97d413b8bc1341239027a024d441efac.jpg
297f1e4006d5db86f41a8b5146e9f816.jpg
df02e300333e36ab1e6b80f4ea0e07ce.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Back