What coolers are y'all using in your rigs?

R Q

So far all I see is the extreme low and high ends of the market. I was hoping for something more than a Walmart Coleman but not wanting a $200+ Yeti. I would like it to have a tie down set up of some kind or even a mounting system.

Yeti.

@shawn is convinced two zip loc bags with spray foam between them is just as good as a yeti. Don't believe the hype, yeti is where it's at. :flipoff2:

Most of the $$$ coolers have built in ways to tie it down real good and have great latches and hinges to keep the lid closed even during rollovers. Their soft cooler options are nice as well. Cooling capacity of the $$$ coolers isn't that much better but I think their durability, latches, and mount options provide value.

Yeti.

@shawn is convinced two zip loc bags with spray foam between them is just as good as a yeti. Don't believe the hype, yeti is where it's at. :flipoff2:

Most of the $$$ coolers have built in ways to tie it down real good and have great latches and hinges to keep the lid closed even during rollovers. Their soft cooler options are nice as well. Cooling capacity of the $$$ coolers isn't that much better but I think their durability, latches, and mount options provide value.

I present to you, the Yeti beer bucket. Just $199 at your local retailer!

XwMrEG1ogXn-Es2B8P4N-9TA6HYZhw-UZRD4n2EO3rhIqK9EGbyxDyEIWqkKJCrWJ5KQ96FjyNdVejMJxRe0URuFsJOeVtFhQW_XrNp1hDv-pq0tz03sk-iVnCXuWidt_tg5PGkUN-PCWqNawFxGvYUFOi0ZVi0RX_LfIixo4Lb0ezpg40-BZQGYIv-ldDnvjRqpeXGRFA9eeA1aUjf_7g2Yc_leBKiItsGfId8SPKXdZRz_q1groj7f4tC818AA_2m3C_c8e54I-p7b1Y5Oqk2iOMyarIIrjBj6wB17XEjVS_6J6Nl9ZilDKU6LWxjGZnMoZqW0YICjQqF7Rk7ZAT6xKn3TjoIcwU8lM6cib_9cG-LIU4HgcmNswUivTspuGs8yzFRIU2fiET8Ko0iVbwJqQaZhhXK-GCjLWslJ97bvGPWuqp3qPEFlDBDy_NfkXtnR_8R-ZaWUTcuhvE654YvcsFod7Hlhln1MZxotx5SQeMwzH3Ys1jGEKl5pl4B1belTibjvn1DAU6u9xMH4d4_0ww7vZRFKom9Ay_KKrqriECdm2Z-d7peWNJwrCTZi9Kq27HYgF7pldQL0CSq9B6IC1v_EbVqaCBgLyMdEt3Tz50YaUsQMQNgLdA=w1320-h747-no

I'm actually looking for a ~65-75qt right now. Craigslist is fucking chock full of "only used once" Yetis. Some for decent prices, some not.

RTIC is backordered until September, so I guess they're out. Actually, it's only certain colors.

Last edited:
I use a lot of Pelican stuff, so I want to try out one of their coolers. Supposed to be pretty nice. Not saving any money over a Yeti though, but may be a better product for the high price according to some...

I have the RTIC 65. When I bought it the price was $199 with free shipping. I heard they ran a sale not long after and it was about $40 cheaper. Not sure what they go for now.

My RTIC cooler.jpg

I'm waiting for the market to get competitive enough to drive the prices down to reasonable. I don't buy fads, I buy function. Prices are almost down to worth it. So far so good and I've got plenty of crappy igloos and clean water ice-blocks in the freezer for years to come.

IN my rig, I run a Rtic softpac 20. The OLD design, right behind my seats on the spare tire (for easy reach)

20170704_101903.jpg

It has hoops to tie too so I run a strap around my spare to secure it. It holds a dozen drinks with ice or 1/2 dozen and a couple of sandwiches for lunch.

On the trailer I run an Rtic 45 for all of my meats, cheese, mayo...etc for the weekend. Keeps ice for 4 days even in July. But this past trip to Potts I also brought my big ass coleman for drinks.

I use a lot of Pelican stuff, so I want to try out one of their coolers. Supposed to be pretty nice. Not saving any money over a Yeti though, but may be a better product for the high price according to some...

I nearly bought a Pelican about a month ago. Lifetime warranty was appealing. However, I opted for an Ozark Trail for less than half the price.

I'm waiting for the market to get competitive enough to drive the prices down to reasonable. I don't buy fads, I buy function. Prices are almost down to worth it. So far so good and I've got plenty of crappy igloos and clean water ice-blocks in the freezer for years to come.
Honesty I don't see them coming down in price, due to a couple reason. When my previous company looked at getting into the rotational molded cooler business, there is not a ton of profit room even at an established roto company. The materials on those coolers are pretty high. The raw plastic is roughly 75 cents before processing per pound, the insulation is roughly 2 dollars a square inch. That still doesn't cover the 2 molds need, the machine time, the high labor to produce them and shipping.

A few friends have the Pelican. They like it and it seems very nice. I believe they got them when they first came out and the prices were lower.

Rtic 20qt, anything larger and it's a pain to move. I've had a yeti 75 and 65, and still have an rtic 65. the big ones have their place for the weekend trips or on the deck of your boat, but for the rig, I find the 20qt size most convenient. Plus the suction on a 45qt or larger makes it hard to open if you aren't in a position to put leverage on it, such as reaching in to the back of truck bed or behind your seat.

Plus the suction on a 45qt or larger makes it hard to open if you aren't in a position to put leverage on it, such as reaching in to the back of truck bed or behind your seat.

I screwed up and was draining my RTIC 65 with the lid closed and when I went to open it again I had to unscrew the drain plug just to get the damn thing open. The seal on those things are no joke.

I have a 20qt yeti Roadie that fits the rack on my buggy perfectly. There is a pic in the take me on your buggy on its side thread where the buggy is resting on it. Still works fine although it looks a little rough now. Good little cooler, no issues other than heavy. I have a Rtic 30 soft side i got a few months ago from a sale link on here, that is my most used and favorite cooler cooler out of all of them. It keeps ice as good as my 20qt Yeti Roadie and almost as good as my 26 qt orca hard cooler.

i use an rtic softpack for small trips.

im down to a cheap igloo after my 20 year old metal sided coleman finally gave out.

I run a 45qt yeti in the worktruck for the guys and myself (4 of us), have a 20qt yeti roadie for my runaround beer cooler/yak cooler( both in seafoam....only company that has a true seafood color so I paid the money for a Color....wtf), then the wife has a 26qt pink orca she keeps in her rig, and a 20qt rtic soft side for random quick trips/ her yak cooler....and I just picked up a Ozark trail 53 and 75qt from some crackhead brand new for 150 bucks for both, these will be used for deer and hauling fish home from offshore fishin. I'm pretty coolered out lol....but don't really need any more, and the crazy part is that every one gets used and has a purpose

Back