What Coolant To Use? 98 Chevy

JonBoy

Ok I guess I was not thinking and started trying to flush my system out with water. I was just thinking I had standard coolant and it was just extreemly rusty/dirty Orange. Later I noticed that it actualty is using Dex-cool. Can I swap it back to standard Yellow coolant? I am thinking you cant mix dex-cool with water? Looking for sugestions I belive I heard on the radio that switching dex-cool to standard antifreeze is pretty common. Cuttently its pretty much running on water alone. (want to flush water through it some) Also this is a 98 K1500 with 305

yeah, you can switch, just don't mix the 2 , flush the Dex out well then mix 50/50 green/water.

, If you have the Vortec, you might wanna check the intake ends at the head, if there are leaks there, now would be the time to replace the intake gaskets. Notorious for rotting out and leaking internally and externally.

also check the Zinc quick connect for the upper heater hose to the intake, might wanna replace that now too. (it's fun)

Blkvoodoo said:
also check the Zinc quick connect for the upper heater hose to the intake, might wanna replace that now too. (it's fun)

yes it is fun when they rot off and you have drill out the old one an retap some threads.

Ridgerunner said:
yes it is fun when they rot off and you have drill out the old one an retap some threads.

AMEN! Had to do the same thing on the wife old Pontiac 6000LE...

I helped a co-worker swap their Blazer over to green... after some idiot "filling station attendant" mixed the 2... Took about 2 hours to get the mixed green/Dexcrap flushed (it had turned to like jelly & crystals)... in the end, his wife was happy as the heater works great now (core was plugged) and they have the good stuff flowing.

Dex-cool Sucks a$$. Anyone using it should go to the nearest jiffy lube and get it flushed out ASAP!

Back