What Chevy Drive Train??

andysleds

and a year later, I am finally going to get a drive train for my jeep.

It will be sitting behind a SBC 350. I am not stretching the wheel base. I have gone to a SOA lift on a dana 60 and 44. I am trying to figure out what combo to run so my drive shafts are not super short. I also wanted to use a 700 trans due to the overdrive ability. This will be used for more on-road then off. I was thinking a Dana 300 case with an advanced adapter, but that kit is $550.....by the time I buy the case rebuild it and get the adapter, I think that I'd be better off buying an Atlas, only problem is I have a budget.

Any suggestions?

Well, you didn't say what kind of Jeep...but. Plan on a steep driveline angle, which isn't going to be very friendly to the lifespan of your rear D/S. A 700R4 is not a short trans.

There are also much shorter adapters to mate cases to a 700R... If the one you're thinking of from AA is around 3" deep.

Oh, and if you buy an Atlas, you still need to adapt it to the 700R. ;)

700 in a CJ/YJ/TJ is gonna be hella tight...
Trust me had 350/700/208 in my cj7 could not keep Ujoints in it....
went 400/205 and a little better.

If you MUST use the 700 go ahead and put a 208 behind it, length diff is inches, maybe if that. And much cheaper...

Time to stretch the wheelbase... YJ's are too short anyway. :p

Your question about other adaptors is simple.. An Atlas bolts up to Jeep transmissions in place of a 300. Anything else requires an adapter.

I don't mean to shit in your cornflakes, but if the price of one adapter from AA is making you gunshy, start looking used, or maybe try something different.

Another option:
You can shorten up the 208 and get rid of the rear slip yoke by using parts from a Dodge 208. That is what my buddy John currently runs.

DK

465/208 or 241, although a 205 is the more common find. 6.55:1 granny low, 2.61:1 low range in the 208, 2.72:1 low range in the 241. With the 208, you can do like ^he said with the Dodge half. If you go with a 241, you can get an SYE for a better rear shaft angle. Either way, you have a poor man's Doubler....

You didn't say if you wanted to go with an automatic, so I threw that one out there for you.

You should find out exactly how long the 700/208 combo is and go from there. Then adjust your motor and wheelbase if necessary.

This site says the case on the 700 is 23.5" long. Plus the factory adapter on the end.
http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/gm/gm700r4id.html

Ok, this site says the total length of the 700r4 is 30.75" long.
http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/leadfoot/th350in.htm

Here is a thread on pirate on how to install a dodge fixed yoke on the 208.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74557

More info on the 208...specs & dimensions...
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/facts/trans/trans.htm

The 700/208 combo would measure about 49" long. Minus a few inches with the fixed yoke from the dodge t-case if you go that route.

You are definately going to have to move your motor forward, your rear axle back some, convert to the dodge fixed rear yoke and probably lower your skidplate/t-case mount to keep your u-joints from exploding.

If you didn't mind having a manual transmission I would go with the SM465 4 speed. It's only 12" long plus the bellhousing and it is beefy.

Good luck!

I used a SBC350/TH350/Dana 300 setup in my CJ-7. The driveshaft was fairly short, but even sprung over with 2" springs, a double cardigan driveshaft worked just fine.

I used a 4.3 v-6 instead of the 350, and this little motor will give you up to about 300 ponies, just as much as a good 350. Moved it forward about 8" and bolted a 350 turbo to an advance adaptored D-20, rear drive shaft was 19" long, Been running for about 5000 miles and no problems period, Oh yea the 4.3 screems. This combo is in a cj-5.

linvillegorge said:
a double cardigan driveshaft worked just fine.

I've always wondered what sweaters had to do with a driveshaft, but lots of people say they run them, so it must be good.

I'll have to give it a try if my double-cardan ever gives me problems. :D

Just kidding around... :)

thecarman said:
I've always wondered what sweaters had to do with a driveshaft, but lots of people say they run them, so it must be good.
I'll have to give it a try if my double-cardan ever gives me problems. :D
Just kidding around... :)

Hahaha!!! I don't know what the h*ll I was thinking about when I typed that!

To answer the other poster's question, no, I did not move the engine forward, but it could've been moved forward when it was installed. The drivetrain was already in the Jeep when I bought it. I had an auxiliary transmission cooler (GET one if you go with an auto) on the radiator that took up about 1 1/2 - 2 inches of clearance plus, after doing the double carden driveshaft, I had no vibrations, so I figured I wouldn't bother. I haven't had the Jeep for over two years now, but from what I remember, there wasn't a whole lot of room to move the engine forward much anyway. All I did was the SOA and axles.

Back