What are your favorite store bought seasonings?

Discussion in 'Vittles' started by mommucked, Jan 29, 2020.

1. mommucked

mommucked Endeavoring to persevere

I like most of Jane's Crazy mixed up spices, Plow Boys rubs. A friend gave me a jar of Spice Mode sweet chili fire for xmas. It has amazing flavor and more than enough of heat, just a scant dusting is pretty hot to me. If you like it hot this stuff has more than enough.

trailhugger likes this.
  2. Southern_Transplant

Southern_Transplant Well-Known Member

It's basic, but Old Bay is a must in every cupboard for seafood.

mommucked, trailhugger and tlucier like this.
  3. 77GreenMachine

77GreenMachine Phillip Talton

I’ve recently become a big fan of Dale’s seasoning. Great on everything, especially for marinating jerky.

Southern_Transplant likes this.
  4. rockcity

rockcity everyday is a chance to get better

Lawry’s is about it. And I use it to compliment other herbs and spices.

everything else typically has way too much salt in it to be useful as a main rub.

I usually end up making my own. Although my wife and kids do like the Montreal steak seasoning. And I’ll use Ms Dash for veggies, etc.

mommucked and trailhugger like this.
  5. tlucier

tlucier Well-Known Member

I like Lawhorn's Original on trout fillets and potlatch on salmon fillets. The wife buys the Williams Sonoma brand of potlatch, I'm not sure if there is that much difference between brands. I usually use Jeff's Original Rub on pork butts and ribs, and Jeff's Texas Style Rub on briskets.

6. UTfball68

UTfball68 Well-Known Member

Garlic powder, black pepper and ghost pepper flakes (from Trader Joe's) are about it. Not a big salt guy, but a pinch of Morton's here or there is ok. Otherwise, let the food speak for itself...if it's bad, I'm buying the wrong base to start with.

rockcity and trailhugger like this.
  7. trailhugger

trailhugger Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Administrator

Salt brings out the flavor, so I definitely use both Morton's iodized and kosher salt. Black pepper, garlic powder, pepper flakes, cayenne, cumin, and powdered ginger are in pretty heavy rotation here, between Mexican and Asian-inspired dishes. I haven't started growing herbs in the Aero garden yet, but usually have parsley, thyme, and basil in the garden (or taken from my parents'). I also use dried oregano. Montreal streak and Konriko spicy for grilled meats.

I like to check out the Milk Street recipes Christopher Kimball puts on his website, it's very focused on seasoning and method for flavor and it's pretty interesting stuff and often not overly complicated.

doc likes this.
  8. R Q

R Q Well-Known Member

Lawry’s Seasoned Pepper Awesome as part of steak seasoning and marinade!

rockcity likes this.
  9. Southern_Transplant

Southern_Transplant Well-Known Member

Only problem with Dale's seasoning is that it has MSG. I still use it. But it's something to keep in mind if you have folks over with allergies.

77GreenMachine likes this.
  10. Fabrik8

Fabrik8 Overcomplicator

Adobo is about the only pre-made blend that we use, and that comes from the spice store and not the grocery store. Everything else we buy is just single spices.

We have a pretty silly spice cabinet, but mostly go through bulk quantities of achiote, cumin, Mexican oregano, New Mexico and Ancho chile powders, epazote, and flake salt. And some nice Tellicherri black pepper, because quality black pepper makes the world go 'round. I also do a lot with whole dried chiles so always have 4 or 5 kinds around.

Actually, I take that back. There are some blends I put on popcorn, I can't remember what they are though.

11. trailhugger

trailhugger Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Administrator

You need something other than salt and melted butter?

doc likes this.
  12. Fabrik8

Fabrik8 Overcomplicator

I don't buy the artisan small-batch rooftop garden heirloom variety. It needs help. :D

Especially if that help entails adding some grated Parmesan or Romano.

13. anvilrubi

anvilrubi Well-Known Member

Butt rub
    Old bay
    Tajin

14. tw89yj

tw89yj Well-Known Member

Meat Church rubs are fantastic. I used to make my own pork rub, but the meat church holy gospel is just as good, and less work. Their holy voodoo is the best run I’ve ever used on wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk