Welding diff... vote yes or no and why?

Mini spool is only 112
I hear mini spool breaks a lot... Don't know but I been told.

I like the idea of installing something instead of possibly botching up the weld job myself, but would hate to get stuck in a pickle in the middle of nowhere...

How's mini spool work in your opinion?

A mini spool replaces the spider gears, accomplishing the same thing welding does. Difference is you have the option to remove the spool if you choose. Once it's welded, it's done unless you get new spider gears, assuming you welded it correctly and can replace them. Haven't seen too many spools fail, but I have seen plenty of welded diffs fail.

A mini spool replaces the spider gears, accomplishing the same thing welding does. Difference is you have the option to remove the spool if you choose. Once it's welded, it's done unless you get new spider gears, assuming you welded it correctly and can replace them. Haven't seen too many spools fail, but I have seen plenty of welded diffs fail.
Good point, it would be nice to be able to have that option if I need it more for hwy use again, or to sell someday if it holds up. Maybe what I heard was for drag cars (?) not sure.

Google "Fozzy Locker" and read.
It's what I would do if i were to weld.

Matt

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160229_05a3d13a4a1c2df8ab44111c49768ef3.jpg

From the book of faces

I hear mini spool breaks a lot... Don't know but I been told.

I like the idea of installing something instead of possibly botching up the weld job myself, but would hate to get stuck in a pickle in the middle of nowhere...

How's mini spool work in your opinion?

Badly designed or cheaply made spools can fail. It's no different than any other drivetrain part if its a crap part. Properly designed and manufactured spools are massively strong.

My step-dad drag raced for years with a mini spool and never had an issue. 400/400 chevy combo with 5.13 - 9".

If I Lincoln lock, I weld the whole thing solid. I did the fozzy thing once and the spiders tried to climb out of the carrier and trashed it.

I'll give my opinion: you eliminate all weak links spiders, center pin breaking, lockers have springs/clutches which are still moving breakable parts, and as others stated you can still remove it if done right but while welded solid, you have less parts to strain and break and all stress goes to axles which can take more abuse than those other moving parts. and it's free.
Example: many D35 rears welded solid will outlast a open or locked D35 almost every time...I would know. good luck

Still just looking, trying to figure this thing out before I go either way. Having trouble finding a mini spool online that fits my Trooper. I think it's a 'corporate 10-bolt' but not 100% sure about that. Any ideas where I might get lucky? Looking to see what it will cost me... Versus free for the Lincoln locker.

i got welded 8.25 you can have for cheap to beat on that for now lol

i was wrong (not the first time) looks like I have a isuzu corporate 12 bolt. Might take you up on that! You sure it would fit my truck?

yeah it will fit..i know people swap isuzu rears into xjs so vise versa would be the same...pm me if interested

Yes

Cheap

I always thought Isuzu's used Dana 44's, but only because I've read that's a common swap to get a D44 in XJs. Jeep owners must either a) convert the front to 6-lug too, b) run mix matched 5/6 lugs wheels front/rear, c) cutoff a stud and continue using 5lug wheels.

You could always turn your thread into a 'what rear axle do I have' thread, just post a pic. The Dana44 has 10 bolts (is non-symetrical side to side), but looks different than a corporate 10 bolt (symetrical). Now if you can't tell between 10 or 12 bolt, we've got a problem.

I always thought Isuzu's used Dana 44's, but only because I've read that's a common swap to get a D44 in XJs. Jeep owners must either a) convert the front to 6-lug too, b) run mix matched 5/6 lugs wheels front/rear, c) cutoff a stud and continue using 5lug wheels.

You could always turn your thread into a 'what rear axle do I have' thread, just post a pic. The Dana44 has 10 bolts (is non-symetrical side to side), but looks different than a corporate 10 bolt (symetrical). Now if you can't tell between 10 or 12 bolt, we've got a problem.

The mid 90s up Isuzu rodeo axles were 5 lug

Yeah I understand the Rodeos got Dana 44s, didn't know about the five lugs. Mine is a 12 bolt 'corporate' rear, from what I have learned.

Back