welded spider gears

hillbilly27017

i have a 87 yj and i'm putting a locker in the back and was wanting to know if the front end spider gears are welded up will this affect the way it's gonna drive on the street is there any advise anyone has on welding the spider gears up

No way!

It's going to be undrivable with the front welded.

Put the locker up front and weld the back.

The Beast said:
No way!

It's going to be undrivable with the front welded.

Put the locker up front and weld the back.
I agree. Never weld the fronts unless you have locking hubs.

The troopers rear axle is welded and it drives fine on the highway. It just chirps tires around corners.

weld it all around:D

lockers are too darn expensive:D

Im welding mine all around, but I've got manual locking hubs..

welding the rear will act like a spool. Not a problem on the road. But, if its snowy and icy on the road, you better take it slow and get used to it cause a spool on icy roads sucks!!! Ask me how I know...

Rob

rockcity said:
But, if its snowy and icy on the road, you better take it slow and get used to it cause a spool on icy roads sucks!!! Ask me how I know...

I'd kinda like to hear about all the snow & ice you guys get... 50miles from coast! :flipoff2:

I've only driven my Jeep with WELDED rear a half dozen times in the snow (that's ALL we've had here in the foothills) over the past 3-4 years. All I know is the welded rear was 100% more stable & easier to predict than any open vehicle I've ever driven. Granted, too much woopy pedal and the rear will start around, but let off and it tracks back straight again (like it's on rails). I refuse to believe my trash could aligned any better than something 30 years newer...

Never have figured what all the hubub over welding the rear up and "driving in snow" was about... maybe it's a SHORT wheelbase Jeep or "too soon to be without the training wheels" thang?

I welded the rear in mine and like it better in the snow and ice then when I had a lockright in it. The lockright used to always try pushing me into the other lane when shifting. Either way don't weld the front it will make it impossible to drive without hubs.

Caver Dave said:
I'd kinda like to hear about all the snow & ice you guys get... 50miles from coast! :flipoff2:

I've only driven my Jeep with WELDED rear a half dozen times in the snow (that's ALL we've had here in the foothills) over the past 3-4 years. All I know is the welded rear was 100% more stable & easier to predict than any open vehicle I've ever driven. Granted, too much woopy pedal and the rear will start around, but let off and it tracks back straight again (like it's on rails). I refuse to believe my trash could aligned any better than something 30 years newer...

Never have figured what all the hubub over welding the rear up and "driving in snow" was about... maybe it's a SHORT wheelbase Jeep or "too soon to be without the training wheels" thang?
x2

For me, welding the rear would depend on how much you are gonna have it on pavement. YOu will see excessive tire wear since one tire is almost always being slid. More curves, more sliding.

I am with everyone else on the welding of a front( well almost everyone)

I guess it depends on your rig and how long, how much it weighs, and so on as to how it does with a welded or spooled rear in the snow. I know when my CJ-7 was on half tons, with ARBs and Boggers, it didn't do well at all in the snow, with it locked. Unlocked, it did just fine.

welded the front! B/c when you are not in 4wd the right side shaft isnt connected so therefore the steering will be free. You will not see any differance. I know this first hand@!

Well, I had a spool in the rear of my full size bronco and on the way up to the slopes up 321 I decided to take Shoals Mill Road as a short cut. Well, with all the curves and snow ice on the road, even with coasting slowly around the curves I was sliding out. Thanks to a winch on the front, I made it about 2 hours later...

Remember, in a curve you will always be loosing traction with the inside tire, especially on snow/ice. Take it slowly and you'll be fine, but try and race through it and you'll end up needing a winch or wrecker...

just my experiences and I've drive on snow/ice with lockers, open, LS, spools and welded diffs. locker, open and LS was fine, spool and welded was terrible.

Rob

Back