Weld table/cart build

BigSouth

Doesn't play well with others!
I have to admit that @jeepinmatt inspired me to finally throw my cart together. This Kennedy cart I bought surplus from the nuke plant. And no it doesn’t glow in the dark. Super heavy duty though. Rated for something stupid like 2000 pounds. The Certiflat top is a 2’x3’ and it’s been laying in my shop for at least 3 years. Here’s the before stuff.
68AA69C7-30A6-4583-8003-98A921C7E041.jpeg

9B454255-F604-4B82-ABDD-B25BD65570A3.jpeg

And now the finished product. 2x2 angle iron and a small piece of 16 gauge for the shelf. Added a few pieces of bling from Fireball tool and now I’m a semi pro fabri-cobbler.
4BBDF45B-3715-4AD8-9BFD-6280B120D54B.jpeg

B5B94C84-BA59-4A20-9D5E-059896A25E84.jpeg

43CBF2F6-4BF3-4608-B99D-918523ADF559.jpeg

ADF1A84A-082C-409B-BFB3-31AFBA9CA64B.jpeg

That's a handy looking setup.
I appreciate it. The only problem I’ve found so far is that having that top makes me wanna buy more of those fancy fixture clamps. One Bessey clamp ain’t gonna cut it.

That’s a really cool setup man! I have a really similar cart that I brought home from work. (control system mechanic in a chemical plant) I’ve been trying to figure out a good use for it. I thought about a welder cart, but my welders and plasma are old dinosaurs that are too big to fit on it.

That’s a really cool setup man! I have a really similar cart that I brought home from work. (control system mechanic in a chemical plant) I’ve been trying to figure out a good use for it. I thought about a welder cart, but my welders and plasma are old dinosaurs that are too big to fit on it.
Sell em and buy new smaller stuff. That's what got me going on mine.

A plasma is on my list to get. I’m pretty sure I can fit a Miller 375 on the same shelf beside the 211. That thing is tiny compared to the old stuff.

Love the cart! I've had an old craftsman toolbox rolling around the shop for years wanting to do something similar.

I’m pretty sure I can fit a Miller 375 on the same shelf beside the 211

Coming from a guy that has had two of those, I really don't recommend that plasma cutter. It really has no ass and struggles cutting anything thicker than 1/8". I cut 2 large pieces of 1/4" with it Saturday and spent 5 minutes with a chipping hammer knocking the large pieces of dross off. @1stgenxxx $200 Chinese amazon plasma does a better job than the miller.

A plasma is on my list to get. I’m pretty sure I can fit a Miller 375 on the same shelf beside the 211. That thing is tiny compared to the old stuff.
I have a Snap-On plasma I bought from a friend when he was getting divorced, it works good, it’s just big. Then I have a Millermatic 251, and a Miller Syncrowave 180 tig. The 3 together are roughly the size of a smart car. Lol.

Love the cart! I've had an old craftsman toolbox rolling around the shop for years wanting to do something similar.

Coming from a guy that has had two of those, I really don't recommend that plasma cutter. It really has no ass and struggles cutting anything thicker than 1/8". I cut 2 large pieces of 1/4" with it Saturday and spent 5 minutes with a chipping hammer knocking the large pieces of dross off. @1stgenxxx $200 Chinese amazon plasma does a better job than the miller.
I appreciate that input. I was only looking at Miller because it’s what I already have. I’ll definitely start looking around. If I can get a better machine without the “blue” price tag, I might would buy one sooner.

This seems odd to me, because the Spectrum 375 I had was a great machine that did some really nice cuts on 3/8", and I wish I would have kept it.

With that said, @BigSouth I recently bought the 45 amp version of this and am very pleased, but you can't beat the price on this 35 amper at $300 after rebate:
More thread on it here:

That table top is bling. How much was it?

That table top is bling. How much was it?
I don’t remember what I paid a few years back, but here’s the link for where I got it from:

you can't beat the price on this 35 amper at $300 after rebate
Little extra money coming back from Uncle Sam, so I decided to get this thing ordered. Should be here middle of the week and I’ll report back. Thanks for the link and recommendation!

Little extra money coming back from Uncle Sam, so I decided to get this thing ordered. Should be here middle of the week and I’ll report back. Thanks for the link and recommendation!
I've used it a decent amount now and am very pleased with the purchase. Better than the Miller 375 I used to have (and way better on the thick stuff!)

Last edited:
Don’t believe I could’ve guessed any better with the fit. Can’t wait to fire it up in the next week to see what she’ll do.
6626A4CC-F1DA-4583-87E3-BCF28EBBF5FB.jpeg

Boys wanted to try out the new toy. It works!

Back