Weighted tags

Jeepster90

Joined the Band
Banned
A friend of mine just bought a 05 f-350 single rear wheels 4x4 and he asked me if he was going to need weighted tags. Because most 3/4 tons a 1tons you see have weighted tags. I am not very familier with the local laws on the tags.

If he's going to tow anything, yes. If not, no, but don't get caught towing without them.

Hell, if it's a diesel, it's probably over the GVW limit as it sits. (6K? 7K? I don't remember..... look it up)

I know the CUCV is under, but if you put anything in the bed, it's over.

The regular plates can be used up to 6,999lbs (on a 6k tag). "Weighted" is 7000+.

My CTD is 7800 without me in it.. YMMV. I checked the crap-ass Ford site, and they don't list curb weights.

I HIGHLY recommend he either go to a dump, or a weigh station, and ask nicely.. The fines are steep.

Rich said:
The regular plates can be used up to 6,999lbs (on a 6k tag). "Weighted" is 7000+.

My CTD is 7800 without me in it.. YMMV. I checked the crap-ass Ford site, and they don't list curb weights.

I HIGHLY recommend he either go to a dump, or a weigh station, and ask nicely.. The fines are steep.

Well if you go here: http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/superduty/features/specs/

and check out the GVWR /payload charts you can figure that the 4x4 350 weighs in between appx 6200 lbs (5.4 reg cab) and 7500 lbs (diesel long bed Crew Cab) thats arrived at by subtracting payload Capacity from GVWR. Its by no means pinpoint accurate, but it gives you a ballpark.

I got my tag info from the NC DMV site..

Jeepster90 said:
A friend of mine just bought a 05 f-350 single rear wheels 4x4 and he asked me if he was going to need weighted tags. Because most 3/4 tons a 1tons you see have weighted tags. I am not very familier with the local laws on the tags.
The dealer that normally charges a $250-$500 doc fee should get the right tag for the truck and load that you are buying. IMOI

The dealer is concerned with bottom line & making the price as attractive as possible, they could give a rats a$$ if *you* get a ticket...

When I was looking at purchasing the '02 PSD, the guy *did* ask what I wanted it tagged for though.

My '92 F250 4x4 (reg. cab, LB. 7.3L N/A) weights in at slightly over 6000# (full of fuel)... trailer at 2200# and Jeep at 4000#... which leaves little room on the 13000# tag for gear (unless you factor in fudge factor of the 999# before hitting 14K#...as Rich had suggested should fly). I'll probably bump the tag to 15000# in Jan. just to be well inside the limitations.

whoooaaaa buddy.. I never suggested you USE the fudge factor, just relaying that it's there before you get fined...

I'm tagged at 14k, my junk is 13,300 going 'cross the scales, but the extra 1699# is nice in case I have cause to haul a heavier rig or something...

At what weight do you need a special license? I am thinking that with my 99.5 psd 4x4, trailer, rig, and gear i am probably somewhere around 16500lbs.
I am definately gonna weigh it on my way to tellico.

I just want to get the heaviest tag i can to be safe without causing a bunch of extra grief.

Greg, according to our lawyer, who checked the statutes and talked to DMV policy makers, not the officers, over 10,000 lb being towed needs a Class A. Your safe with you single car hauler and a jeep, add two jeeps like mine and you'll need a Class A.

Jeepster90 said:
According to the DMV website you are safe with a class C license as long as you are not hauling more than 26,001LBS

Read it again. You're safe if the vehicle itself weighs 26000lbs or less, and is towing a vehicle weighing 10000lbs or less.

Towing more than 10k requires a Class A. Having a tow vehicle weighing more than 26k, but a trailer less than 10k requires at least a class B.

o man!!!

but you guys forgot to bring up one thing. That whatever amount you get the plate for is that including your tow rig in it? or is that just the weight of what you can tow. I have always thought that if you got a 15,000 lbs weighted plate that you would have to subtract your 6,000lbs truck and the left over is what you are legally allowed to tow!!!! Well this is an important topic. I got weighted plates from the dealer when i bought my truck. 15,000lbs plates. :D :D Good luck everyone.

KRAWLER

the plate is for your total weight. truck, trailer, and whatever is on it.

I.E. I'm tagged at 14k, my truck, trailer, and rig are 13,300.

DOUGHBOYDD2500HD said:
but you guys forgot to bring up one thing. That whatever amount you get the plate for is that including your tow rig in it? or is that just the weight of what you can tow. I have always thought that if you got a 15,000 lbs weighted plate that you would have to subtract your 6,000lbs truck and the left over is what you are legally allowed to tow!!!! Well this is an important topic. I got weighted plates from the dealer when i bought my truck. 15,000lbs plates. :D :D Good luck everyone.

KRAWLER

Nobody forgot anything... Sounds like your not quite sure either! :rolleyes:

The tag rating should reflect the sum of:

Your towrigs running weight + Any additional weight either
1) load the bed/cab &/or
2) trailer &/or
3) load on trailer

All which has been covered previously...

Rich said:
I.E. I'm tagged at 14k, my truck, trailer, and rig are 13,300.

before or after the diet? you pull with a dually correct?

im guessing around 8400 on my ford, 2500 for the trailer and about 5100 for the wrongler. the truck is soon to be heavier with the addition of a 80 gal nurse tank in the bed.

This topic has gotten me thinking about something else - When towing your rigs - do you guys stop in at weigh stations? Are you required to?

I've never done it, but I havn't done much towing at all. Thinking about it, I can't say I've ever noticed a single/double car hauler in the weigh station line.

Recently picked up an `01 F-250 (PSD). Hope to pick up a good goose-neck trailer, and do a lot more towing in the near future.

greg slade said:
before or after the diet? you pull with a dually correct?

That was after the diet. Truck (yup, 4x4 dually with big-ass bumper) is 8k with me in it, 1/2 tank of fuel, hi-lift in the bed, 16' wood deck trailer, and the FJ. I'm HOPING my trailer is closer to 2000lbs, but I doubt it.

No need to stop at a weigh station unless you are commercial (which you're not, and you don't want to be)

Back