Weight ratio F/R..

SHINTON

Ok...this might be a math major/engineer type question. Thus the reason it is in tech area...

Assuming for a moment here, single seat buggy, front engine/tcase/tranny setup.

I am going to guess weight as 2000lbs, maybe less.

I am also going to guess 65% of weight on front? (I know they have to be careful with this) at most 60%

Ok...so now...assuming you are going down an incline of 25 degrees. That shifts the center of gravity fwd...and thus places MORE pressure/weight on the front tires...

Any way to estimate/figure out the amount? Say it was 95" wheelbase?

My limited math guesses here is this:

At 90 degrees (yeah i know)...100% of the weight would be on the front tires...in fact I am going to assume that at 75 degrees for our purposes.

So at 0 it is 65%, 75 it is at 100%

so at 25 it would be at 35/3 = 10.167 more, thus 76%?

Therefore at 25 degrees, 2000lbs, 1520 lbs on the front axles and 480lbs on the rear axle?

Ok...is that "close enough" for ballpark? I would imagine it is a much more complicated calc, with height of tires, wheelbase, etc, but wanted to get a guess.

NOW....what insane idea am I cooking up you ask?

Again...assume single seat buggy, as above...narrow axles (60" including tires wide), thus fitting inside the width of pickup bed rails.

You build a ramp, starting at edge of wheel wells, extending to top of pickup cab. Then goes "flat"/horizontal going fwd over the cab.

Now...you BACK up the buggy onto this ramp/rack system...the part that hangs over the cab would need to support 480lbs according to the calc above.

76% Weight of the buggy would be just behind rear axle. (about 20-24" maybe based on center of tire)

Anyway, now you know the insane idea...the goal would be keep the buggy as light as possible. The truck would be a 1 ton dually....which in theory can handle 2000lbs in the bed, correct?

Oh...just a picture of something similar:

(well heck, will be back later with pix)

Sam...scheming...Hinton

So you are wanting to load this basically on top of the truck and then haul a gooseneck? That would be interesting to see going down the road.

There is a company that makes ramps like this for atvs. The ramp goes from the tailgate up over the cab of the truck and allows for a fullsize truck to carry 2 atvs. The main problem I see with your idea is how to support the ramp on top of the cab since even 25% of a 2k lb buggy weighs more than most atvs.

Whats you're describing is the truck U-haul uses to carry/deliver 8-10 dolly's to different U-Haul dealers all over

I can't find a pick of it, but it's a dually with ramps up the back and over. Looks like a service bed thats been cut at a 45 and ramps welded on it

FOUND ONE!!

awww.nutmeg_auto.com_udog5.jpg

Nissan11 said:
There is a company that makes ramps like this for atvs. The ramp goes from the tailgate up over the cab of the truck and allows for a fullsize truck to carry 2 atvs. The main problem I see with your idea is how to support the ramp on top of the cab since even 25% of a 2k lb buggy weighs more than most atvs.

Most UTE atvs are in the 5-600 each and they have two of em up there I think?

I was thinking something that could handle over 500lbs for sure.

Don't forget that there's a height limit on your rig, I think its 13'6". That might limit you to a 2wd pickup if you plan on 'stacking'.

Back