Weight Distribution Systems

MR. GADGET

Looking for one.
Anyone have access to a better deal or know where one can be had local (Raleigh) for around the same price.
Jon

http://www.accessconnect.com/weight_distributing_hitch.htm
Free Shipping in the US 48 States on all Weight Distributing Kits listed below

1200lb. TW, 12,000 GTW Trunnion Bar WD Part# 4003 $259.90
2 11" Shank Bar Length 13 3/4" Length 6 7/8" Drop Shanks #7575 89.90
2 5/16" Zinc 1 1/4" 2 1/4" 10,000 lbs. 19186 11.90

didja check etrailer.com? They've been pretty good to me...

I'd pretty much resolved to order online, but decided to call all the locals first. To my surprise, the place I figured would be in "rapin' mode" (huge bling shop) ended up having a better deal than online! (for the same hitch + someone to point at if there were issues)... The local places I thought might have a better price (lower overhead) were the ones out out of K-Y...

So, my advice would be to spend 20-30 minutes on the horn and see if someone local can source it less expensively.

:beer:

Jon,
That seems like a great price. I think the stealer wrapped me for around $400 or so when I got my truck. Mine is a drawtite.

sapper said:
I searched locally and online untill my head hurt, finally found a 10,000lb set up with ball for 250 bucks to the door online, I want to say it was etrailer but I looked at so many I'm not sure.

I will look into it but that was the head and bars only correct?
that is what I found then add the bar. Maybe they run free shipping sometimes but when I checked it was 40-50 or better from all the places I found.
All the local places, when I showed them the price told me they pay more then that for them.
Jon

figured I'd resurrect a thread already kinda on topic...

I'm looking again at tow rigs...but have to compromise with the wife and have it double as a family vehicle for vacations, etc...

so, we're looking at the Yukon/Tahoe/Expedition/Durango kinda setup...can't go with a truck, and she doesn't want to deal with Yukon XL, Suburban, Excursion size (and I'd feel much better with her not driving anything that size ;))

I've searched around here, and found some discussions on the Chevy 5.3L and the Ford 5.4L...and also know a couple guys that haul with the Chevy/GMC trucks running the 6.0L which I could find in a Yukon Denali...

seems to be that gear ratio obviously makes a difference in tow ratings, but that's something I could change if I found a good deal on a rig that had the higher gears...

I also will plan on adding an external tranny cooler if the vehicle doesn't come equipped with a half-way decent one...

now...on to the topic at hand: weight distribution hitches...

I've seen several people mention them when people bring up towing with 1/2 ton vehicles, so I started looking, because I'm really not familiar with them at all...

I found this at etrailer.com:

http://www.etrailer.com/faq/aboutwd.asp

which gave me a good start on how it works...seems to just even out the load (as the name implies) to allow for safer towing...

I see Sway Control listed as an option, but didn't really see a good description of it.

Anybody willing to just add some input on weight distribution systems in general? how they work, brand names, tips/tricks, etc? do they work with all frame-type trailers like I would buy?

I don't have a trailer either, and with a 1/2 ton, I'd make sure it had good brakes on at least one axle, and have an in-cab controller (Prodigy seems to be the best option)...

Seems that the ~$250 ballpark will get me what I need...but what about options? If I'm towing a TJ on a 7,000 lb GWVR trailer...is there an advantage to buying the 12K setup instead of the 10K setup?

Thanks.
Greg

Hey Greg,

I had a 10k weight distribution setup that I used when I had my 88 Grand Wagoneer towing my TJ on a trailer. While I never felt that particular vehicle was up to the job of towing that setup, the weight distribution setup was worth it's weight in gold, in my opinion.

I got my setup from etrailer.com. On the vehicle end, all you need is a class III hitch. On the trailer end, pretty much any trailer should work, but that's not saying you won't potentially have issues, depending on the trailer. Basically the hitch setup will have two long arms that go back towards the trailer. Those arms will attach to a mounting point on the trailer. The mounts on the trailer are setup to work with most trailers.

Based on what I read, your biggest enemy when it comes to sway is proper loading of the trailer. I think you want 10% of the total weight on the hitch, etrailer's FAQ covers that as well. I wanted to make sure I had mine right, so I bought a tongue weight scale. That allowed me to set the tongue weight, then setup the WD setup and I was good to go.

When it comes to anti-sway, if you follow the steps above and get the WD setup, you'll go along way to reduce sway. That being said, considering I was using a relatively light truck, I wanted to add anti-sway. You have a couple of options there. There are cam systems that mount to the trailer frame, similar to how the WD setup hooks up. On my trailer that setup would not work, so I had to go with the friction setup. The friction setup is basically a heavy duty shock that attaches to the side of the trailer and then to the hitch.

Do that, get brakes on at least one axle and go with the prodigy brake controller and you'll be as happy as you're gonna get.

Jeff

thanks for the input...

I'll have a couple more questions if the two purchases I'm looking at come through in the next couple days...but they'll be more in line with the Prodigy setup...

Greg

bigwaylon said:
(Prodigy seems to be the best option)...
Seems that the ~$250 ballpark will get me what I need...but what about options? If I'm towing a TJ on a 7,000 lb GWVR trailer...is there an advantage to buying the 12K setup instead of the 10K setup?
Thanks.
Greg

Got my Prodigy on line to the door for 124.

Like I said in the past>>>>>>>accessconnect.com Free shipping
Make sure you get a trunnion setup thay are a lot better.

http://www.accessconnect.com/weight_...ting_hitch.htm

MR. GADGET said:
Got my Prodigy on line to the door for 124.
Like I said in the past>>>>>>>accessconnect.com Free shipping
Make sure you get a trunnion setup thay are a lot better.
http://www.accessconnect.com/weight_...ting_hitch.htm

got my Prodigy for $97 to the door this morning...;)

might be able to pick up a "used 3-times" weight distributing hitch from a local shop...came across one today...

Greg

bigwaylon said:
got my Prodigy for $97 to the door this morning...;)
might be able to pick up a "used 3-times" weight distributing hitch from a local shop...came across one today...
Greg
Good deal
Who you get it from?

http://www.brakecontroller.com/
I found this one and it was running the same price as everyone else at the time $125 to the door and it came with two sets of wires one was the pre made for Dodge and all you do is plug it up. No wires to cut or deal with.
Jon

MR. GADGET said:
Good deal
Who you get it from?
I found this one and it was running the same price as everyone else at the time $125 to the door and it came with two sets of wires one was the pre made for Dodge and all you do is plug it up. No wires to cut or deal with.
Jon

$99.95 (including S/H) here:

http://www.truckxpressions.com/product.cgi?product=2988

but I bought mine from an Ebay vendor for $91 + $6 S/H...

Greg

clarify something...I was talking to somebody today about my truck/trailer and said I had picked up a WDS...I wasn't sure we were talking about the same thing (I think he was thinking of something else), but he said I couldn't back up with the bars connected...

I had never heard that before, but read through the install instructions on etrailer for a similar setup:

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=E&Product_Code=3203-10&Category_Code=WD (link to instructions is towards the bottom)

and all it said in the WARNINGS section was:

USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN BACKING UP AND TURNING. DO NOT ALLOW TOW VEHICLE AND TRAILER TO MANEUVER INTO A "JACKKNIFE" POSITION. Components of the hitch and sway control, if applicable, may be forced into damaging contact. This can lead to structural failure which may result in vehicle accident, property damage and personal injury. If a "jackknife" maneuver has occured, examine all towing system components for damage or loosening immediately. Repair or replace any damaged components before resuming towing.

I don't see that as any different from normal towing...to avoid a jackknife, and to inspect for damage if you happen to get into a bad position.

Is there anything wrong with backing up with a WDS connected?

Greg

No there is not a problem backing up with one. My father in law has this setup for his camper and I have used my truck to tow it before. Just like you said, forward movement into a tight jacknife position would cause the same issue except that you can jacknife backing up easier than moving forward. I can see how a jacknife position would put enough stress on the chains to break either the pin or the chains themselves. Just avoid gettin in a bend of more than say 45 to 50 degrees and the system will be fine.

Back