Warning to all about Add a leaf lifts

atblis

I am sure most of you know this but...

Just want to have this up in case somebody bothers to search regarding add a leaf lifts.

The previous idiot owner did an add a leaf (and a 3" body lift) on my CJ5. It is the most worthless ghetto piece of crap lift I've ever riden/driven. The jeep is basically unbeareable to ride in (I've always had 5s so...).

DO NOT DO AN Add A Leaf!!!

Anyways. Ordering some Old Man Emu springs this week.

As a rule of thumb, a single leaf that is stiff enough to re-arch your spring pack won't do much for ride quality.

How bout taking a whole nother spring pack and doubling your exisiting pack? :lol:

Worked for me, I did it for towing purposes thou, don't expect anything from it except to drive on the road and not sag too much when I tow, so far so good.

Same with my Z71 jeep front pack is and explorer rear pack with 2 leafs from a chevy pack, works pretty good, flex's well.

I guess what really matters is how much the vehicle wieghs, what your expecting outta the springs, and how much you like to whine about stiff springs :flipoff2:

You probably have the "short" AAL in there. The long ones tend to ride more nicely.

But ya can't go wrong with OME.. good stuff.

i have a full length aal's on my mj and it rides good....but the leaf pack is twice as long as a cj pack is, that may have something to do with it.

Personally, I have an AAL in the rear pack of my K5, it rides quite nicely... but it's also very heavy. Its a shorty too.

Had a Superlift AAL "2 inch" lift on my Runner. Came out to more like 4", was very rough, and gave about 1/2" of flex/uptravel. It wasa complete spring pack though, just had the 4th super-thick AAL leaf in it. Ended up taking that one out of the pack, and fitting a coil spring in there. Worked much better.

Right

It is the short leaf. The "cheap lift" add a leafs are the ones I am talking about.

I am used to rough riding vehicles, but this thing is beyond bad.

CJ5s

Alright. I've owned nothing but 76-79 Cj5s for the last 10 years. I know how they're supposed to ride. This one has some issues. I've been undoing all sorts of ghetto redneck crap for the last year, and almost have a driveable Jeep.

Yep, I don't think the craptacular Trailmaster Invader 9 shocks help much either. I've been wondering how much the Poly body mounts contribute.

My plan of action
Old Man EMU Springs
+
Old Man EMU Comfort shocks (considering Bilsteins though)

I wondering if I am just getting old. Time to ditch the Honda and get a Buick.

I think I know how you feel.....

My first FJ40 had 2 add a leafs in the back and 2 overly long shocks up front to get the lift for 35" tires, beyond ghetto fab.....if you hit a piece of gravel in the road it felt like you jumped the Grand Canyon!

anyone out there combined stock leaf packs for a yj? i am planning on adding an extra main leaf with the eyes cut off to a stock yj pack..

Somewhere

There was a pretty good right up of that in one of the magazines not too long ago. Probably JP.

Back