Warn M12 solenoid upgrade

I have the superwinch contactor on one, the warn contactor on the other. The warn is technically safer because it has an activation contact and a direction contact, but I have a sneaking suspicion than the activation solenoid failed closed (as is typical for a contactor). They've been problem free other than that. I'd keep a pair of wire cutters handy regardless.

I have installed Albright style controllers in an 8274, an M15000, and a Superwinch Husky 8, and they work great in all of them. The only down side I can tell is that in the M15000 the Albright is slightly taller than the stock solenoids, so the controller cover didn't quite sit flush anymore. I just made a little metal tab to extend the cover up about 3/4". Sooooo much easier than troubleshooting a bad solenoid pack. At this point if I had another winch controller to rebuild there is no doubt that I would go with the Albright contactor.

Got mine off amazon. Was same price or cheaper than anywhere else I looked and was at the house in 2 days.
Which part number did you get? I need to fix my winch in the next week or so.

This is from my Amazon history :

WARN 83664 9.5 XP-S Contactor Pack
was 160 when I bought it so it apparently has received the COVID tax increase
Gotcha, I’ve used that one before on the YJ @77GreenMachine has.
I thought you bought just the contactor.
Did you wire it to a in cab switch or use the warn remote?

I'm getting about three years out of the albright contactors before they die from water intrusion. The old style super winch one is still going strong.

This is from my Amazon history :

WARN 83664 9.5 XP-S Contactor Pack
was 160 when I bought it so it apparently has received the COVID tax increase

I bought this one originally. I needed a solenoid pack, cables, and a remote, so it made sense.

Replaced it with this one when the OEM one died:

The Albright-branded one is similar to Warn, but the mounts are a bit different so the solenoid pack had to be modified. It worked fine other than that.

Back