Wagoneer towing capacity

Look in the owners manual if you have it....I'm sure you can find a copy online

I think it is 5k for the wagoner I don't know about the j trucks they could be had as 3/4 ton so they may be more. I can say from experience that wagoners do not make the best tow rigs. Narrow track width and brakes that are not that great without a trailer can make for an interesting ride. I had about 3200 lbs behind one and wouldn't try more without sway bars on the trailer and electric brakes.

Depends if a quadratrac wag or truck, too. I wouldn't tow with a full time 4x4. If it has a part time kit, according to Jubiliee Jeeps, it makes a QT weak link weaker, so don't do it. Pretty much only do it with a true 2wd option.

All I know is we had an '80 model as a kid with a straight six and dad used to pull our 24' boat to the jersey shore every week. About 4k lbs plus the trailer. He got rid of it because he kept burning up rearends.

Not sure what is called for in the book, but...
I towed with a J truck for 6 years. 304/T-18/Dana 44's with 3.54 gears

My Jeep weighed in around 6K trailer was another 2 K, with brakes on both axles.
Slow up hills, slow down with brakes and gearing.

Not ideal, but with a head on your shoulders you can do it, as long as you aren't in a hurry.
6 years, never had to replace my brakes on the truck, but did on the trailer.

Back